Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Falling Apart Again

(46 posts)
  1. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 29 2007 19:15:21
    #

Login to Send PM

So, the last time I was on this forum was back in August when my (now ex) boyfriend brought a couch in from the alley that had bedbugs. I ended up getting them as well, and two treatments later I had begun to feel under control. However, it seems I became somewhat immune to bites, because although I got some odd marks I had nothing like the initial bites I got when I found a cluster of eggs and four or five nymphs wandering about near my bed. Exterminator came again, a month went by with no bites, and I was beginning to feel good again. Then, Monday night, I was sitting at my computer when a larger nymph comes CRAWLING DOWN THE WALL and falls onto my printer. I killed it, of course, and it looked as if it hadn't eaten in awhile. I haven't seen ANY others and I inspected the bed thoroughly...nothing, not in the cracks or anything. I haven't had anything that seems like a bite, but I really can't tell what is or isn't a bite anymore. I have no idea what's going on...I STILL don't have an appointment despite pushing my landlady and talking to the exterminator. I'm also really worried because they have said that I need to empty out the closets before they come. The closets are full of plastic bags of clothes and I'm terrified that if I take them out they will get broken or opened and infested as well! I do NOT have the energy to rewash EVERYTHING that has already been washed and sealed because the PCO is clumsy and opens the bags. There isn't enough open space in this apartment to put it somewhere safe that isn't a closet. I understand he wants to inspect the closets, but this seems weird, too, because the first time I was treated he said not to worry about them because they aren't near the bed. I'm going completely insane....and this sounds really stupid, but I honestly have considered killing myself over this. It's not the biting, or the bugs, it's the thought that no matter where I go or move or do, they will follow me and eventually they will just be swarming everywhere and I can't handle that thought...

2. jennifer09

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 29 2007 19:22:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless,
    Please please do not do anything irrational. Is there anyone that can help you? Family? Friends? Can you seek some professional help right now. I haven't been dealing with this as long as you, but I am right in the middle of it and I know EXACTLY what your feeling. Please hang in there. Try to talk to a therapist or a professional. I think all of our fears in this forum is that we'll never get rid of them but people do. Hope that helps.

3. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 29 2007 19:25:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, also, I'm seriously considering moving. I would want to vikane my belongings, and would have to use the last of my savings to do that...does anyone know of a place in or near Chicago that does Vikane gassing in containers rather than in the building? I would really appreciate any information.

4. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 29 2007 19:42:33
    #

Login to Send PM

My therapist went crazy on me (it was ironic...). I went on anti-depressants and have reacted so badly that my doctor took me off of them. My family will help me, but I don't want to spread the bugs to them. It's really frustrating as I was told I had a very small infestation, and for the most part there are no signs, but they are STILL HERE

5. nomorebugs

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 29 2007 19:53:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I completely understand too. All of us have to fight back and move forward. Endure. Perhaps they are coming from you neighbors, be proactive, do something, at least you'll feel better.

As I was getting more bitten, the bites got less itchy. But they are always glowing pinkish. After two treatments, I got these two little pinkish pimple like marks. I was just hoping they were just skin reactions, but I was away for a week and didn't get them. When I got back, I got them again. And now a glowing pink mark (on my butt of all places), I had to give up hope and realized they were further bites, probably from nymphs. If your first bites were glowing pink, then it's likely new bites will be too.

6. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 29 2007 20:20:58
    #

Login to Send PM

sleepless, we feel your pain. i believe it will get better. i hope you do, too. i sent you a private message.

7. NotSoSnug

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 29 2007 20:59:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless: I am so sorry for your predicament. It's a horror having these critters and a pain 'doing the protocols' all the time. I'm always looking around for them even at night when I should be sleeping.

To top that off, reluctant PCOs and Landlord/Managers make it much more dismaying. In my small town there is no bylaw or municipal direction for this so I can't excert any pressure at all and I can't afford a lawyer. Any tenant legal advice is focused on the main urban centres in my area, it's very difficult to get any from up here. And while I have at least had one treatment, I need more and they aren't forthcoming. All I can do is one foot in front of the other, stick to the protocols and try not to get too sad and dismayed at the 'unsafeness' of things. I keep my sense of humour and perspective and that helps me a lot. (See my hunting tales elsewhere hereabouts.) But the support of folks on here has been the greatest benefit so far.

8. dinner

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 29 2007 23:09:33
    #

Login to Send PM

There will be a time when we will be the strong ones and we will be writing to people like us. Meanwhile, I upped my prozac (under a doctor's ok, of course) and am doing more yoga.

9. NotSoSnug

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Nov 29 2007 23:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Yup agreed, Dinner. Since it's obvious they are making a strong comeback, they are becoming desensitized to various treatments and most disconcerting of all, many corporate owners and political jurisdictions are in avoidance mode, I am expecting that we will be back to the 25% household BB infestation rate stats of preWWII North America or worse perhaps within a decade. I wonder at what point things will be considered serious?

10. BuggedOut

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2007 2:20:47
    #

Login to Send PM

whoa, i feel for you, chicago, b/c i am right there w/you at this moment.

11. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2007 11:48:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Chicago. Feel free to PMl me, I totally know where you are coming from. In the past I have had issues with anxiety and depression, related to a specific incident, so I have been monitoring my mental health very closely alongside monitoring my bedbugs. Last Wednesday I was on the highway for Thanksgiving, I almost got in an accident and for a split second I thought "well if I get killed at least I won't have to deal with any more laundry." Just a split second and then the thought was gone.

I haven't felt the need to call my former therapist for a tune-up. However, I spent a number of years in therapy and I am now the therapist for all my friends. I am happy to offer you free, amateur, no-medical-training-whatsoever support and advice.

First piece of advice: catch a few of the bugs you are seeing on some tape and send them to Harvard for confirmation. At least you will know and you can start fighting.

12. stamps

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2007 13:08:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm losing it too. I have been bite-free for six weeks now and . . .

I'm at work today and see one of my students has about ten bites on his face. I'm assuming they're from bedbugs . . . after talking to him, he said he gets them at night, they really itch, they are in clusters, etc.

I am really worried about it becoming an epidemic here at school and not only having kids spread it to other kids, but to staff members, etc. I KNOW there are families who won't take appropriate precautions, because they send their kids to school in tube tops in December, and sandals, etc. Just can't be bothered. Arrgh, sorry, I'm really frustrated about this right now.

Talked to the school social worker and she had no advice. School nurse has no advice. I'm taking all of MY precautions but I'm close to quitting my job here because I can't deal with the thought of getting reinfested and going through that hell again.

How do you intervene in such a complex situation as this? I don't know what resources are available to this (mostly spanish-speaking) community, how to get the word out.

I can't stand this. I absolutely hate living in fear.

Edit: OH! I almost forgot, and now in my alley I'm seeing people throwing out furniture and vacuums and other things . . . NOT BAGGED UP! WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!?

13. buggedoutinbaltimore

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2007 15:57:08
    #

Login to Send PM

stamps, does your school publish any newsletters, or memos that are regularly sent home to parents? perhaps you could mobilize the administration, with support from the school's health center, to send home a general memo, FAQ, etc about bed bugs and other public health concerns. i realize it is a sensitive situation when dealing with a large community and issues of panic might arise.

but perhaps you could send around a year-end "healthy students, healthy families" memo to the school and include general good health tips and some general info about bed bugs, lice, common colds, etc. that way you could dispense a good, brief amount of information to families that might not otherwise understand how this could affect them, and simultaneously be responsive to the health needs of the school.

14. bugobsessed

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2007 16:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Stamps,

Below is a link to information about what the New York City Dept. of Ed is doing. Under the first subheading, DOE provides bed bug kits for schools, there is a link that says 'click here.' This will allow you to download a pdf. The last two pages of this document is bed bug information in Spanish. Perhaps this will be helpful in your school.

http://www.opt-osfns.org/dsf/reference/news.aspx

15. cosbear

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2007 16:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi stamps:

I suspect problems in schools with bb's is and will become a bigger issue as time goes by. A county in Kentucky just a couple of counties over from ours closed every school in the County for 2 weeks because they found that on Elemantary school was infested. They had the school nurses check all the elementary school kids for bites and found many not just from that one school but from several had what appeared to be bb bites. I told the whole story, well as much as I could find out in a post called Let Your Voice Be Heard! if you want to check it out. I don't want to double post. It's scary but I expect it will become more common if people don't start taking this epidemic more serious. Later, cos

16. nightshirt

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2007 16:40:09
    #

Login to Send PM

sleepless maybe they are inside walls and ceiling and coming our of cracks and crevised. have you totally caulked?

17. stamps

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2007 17:23:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugobsessed --

THANK YOU. That PDF is perfect for our school -- we'll have to edit it so it has Colorado info on it but otherwise that's a godsend for us.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

18. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2007 2:25:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seen exactly one in a month. This is with checking everything constantly and all that, so there's not a lot to put on tape. Today I took EVERYTHING and put it in bags...now I don't have my books, I don't have my clothes, I've got nothing. I was SO HAPPY when I was able to put a few pieces of clothing up on hangers and now....now I'm back to waking up an hour earlier in the morning just so I can find clothes. I don't have a lot of space so it's pretty much impossible to organize. This isn't life at all...this is just hell. I'm so terrified of NEVER getting rid of them...and I don't know what to do. I know I'll probably never take any of my things out of bags again....and I'm sorry, but this doesn't seem worth it. The only good thing I had going for me was being able to come home and relax and now home is the WORST PLACE of all. I want SO desperately to move back in with my parents, but I can't because I'm terrified of bringing the bugs to them. I really can't handle this, but now I'm trapped and I can't get out. That piece of **** ex ruined my life...I will never be able to bring another guy over to my place, I'll probably never even be able to think about dating again because I'm so mortified that I have these. And that's just superficial, honestly, compared to the fact that I'll never get another good nights sleep. This isn't worth it.

19. persona-non-bugga

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2007 2:38:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Sleepless -

Have you looked into treating your belongings with Vikane? Your belongings would be loaded into a sealed van or compartment, and the Vikane gas should kill any and all bugs and eggs. Then, you could move to your parents' home, and leave this behind. It's expensive. But, from what I hear, if applied properly, Vikane is a sure thing.

20. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2007 12:54:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I would absolutely LOVE to do the Vikane treatment, but I can't find a place in Chicago that does them...

21. persona-non-bugga

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2007 14:28:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Sleepless,

Bedbugs suck. When I read your post, I flashed back to times when I felt such despair. In my mind, destroying each and every bug seemed such an impossible task. I'd be overwhelmed with the fear that I'd never get rid of them.

At one or two low points, I thought: if my struggle to annihilate the bugs don't work out, I know self-annihilation would be a sure thing at least. And that is an extremely f%*ked up thing that these bugs - with the uncertainty, upheaval, and isolation they bring - can do. I didn't entertain the self-destructive thoughts for more than a second. But they showed me how desperate I was for escape that my mind felt forced to even contemplate that route.

Anyway, reading you say that it's not worth it ... I offer that it is worth it. So beyond worth it. And if one's mind even begins to meander in that direction, then it's time to remind ourselves that there are better solutions - real solutions - that will extract us from an extremely frustrating situation.

I just remembered it might be too cold right now in Chicago for Vikane treatment, but it sounds like it's not in the area anyway. If push comes to shove, you can throw your things in a U-Haul and drive south to a place where the temperature's moderate enough for Vikane and where it's readily available. A road trip. That can be your Plan B or C or D if traditional Plan A isn't working or is taking too long.

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Sat Dec 1 2007 19:08:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless, did you call DOW? They manufacture vikane and could probably tell you if someone does it in Chicago. We should have a link to Dow's website's vikane stuff from our FAQ on vikane (FAQ button below, then choose "treatment").

Persona is probably right about the weather.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  23. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2007 15:22:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually realised...it's bloody FREEZING in Chicago right now. I'm considering putting all my things in a uhaul for a week or so before I move. I may have found a place to go, as well, but we'll have to see. I remember reading something somewhere on here about a fellow who got rid of his BB by putting everything in a uhaul in the Chicago winter.

24. goingaway

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Dec 2 2007 21:07:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless- From what I've read I would not rely on freezing, personally. I've read too many stories about people who failed to kill them that way. But that's just my paranoia.

25. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 2:00:18
    #

Login to Send PM

sleepless, i totally understand how you are feeling right now. my moments of despair have been on and off as well. bbs can definitely cause things to feel isolating, i understand. my partner lives halfway across the country, and we only see each other every few months. right now it looks like we might not see one another for quite awhile until i get this dealt with. my family is also halfway across the country, and with christmas coming it looks like i might have to cancel my flight home, and may instead have to stay here alone to avoid spreading them to either my partner or my family.

this is hard, and it can be so isolating. but it WILL go away because the bugs WILL be gone. you are so much further along than i am, only one bug in the last month? i applaud you, you have done soooo well. just keep hanging in there, we just keep taking it one day at a time. it's the only way. and it's so worth it. one day at a time DOES lead to bb free days, and they're coming. when the bugs are gone from your life (and they will be eventually, i promise) you will look back on this as a difficult time that made you a much stronger person. we don't always feel strong i know, but you WILL feel stronger when this passes.

one little tip for sorting out the clothing thing (i too take an extra hour in the mornings trying to figure out where the h*** everything is...) is to label everything. i have a small apartment too, and when i'm doing laundry i sort everything into seperate bags (one for jeans, one for dress pants, one for pjs, etc). then i label each bag with masking tape and write on the tape what is in the bag. it has helped me a lot, it gave me back a bit of a feeling of control over the situation.

i wish you luck! i hope i make it as far along as you are soon...

26. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 8:43:44
    #

Login to Send PM

On the subject of freezing (A few people have mentioned it above) here is a good link:
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/housingandclothing/M1196.html

and a quote from that link:

"However, based on related research, a two-hour core exposure at 120°F (45°C) should be considered a minimum target temperature for heat treatments. For freezing, a minimum of 23°F (-5°C) must be maintained for at least 5 days. As the temperature is decreased, the time of exposure is shortened. For instance, the articles could be “flash frozen,” resulting in a very short time of exposure, but the target temperature should be -15°F (-26°C), the conditions required to instantly freeze the eggs." (end of quote)

The temperature here for the last 10 days has been very cold and we are relying on that information to some extent. We asre keeping our stuff outside at -15 C (5 degrees F)and lower for 2 weeks and more.

27. cosbear

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 10:18:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Howdy Bites44:

I don't pretend to be an expert on bbs or freezing them but have had some experience with it. You can read those experiences here.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/1306?replies=5 Don't count on freezing as a solution!

My best guess is that the amount of insulation provided by whatever the bugs are in can play a factor in whether bugs or eggs will survive. A whole winter of freezing our couch did not kill all the bugs. My best guess is that the denser the container the more protected they are. For bags of clothes keeping the bags small and spread out would probably give you your best chance. The larger the bags the better the chance some eggs or bugs may survive. We put our couch out at a time when the temperature was 15 degrees F. It stayed at that temp or below for the first 9 days. Because of the denseness of the couch bb eggs could have been deep inside layers of insulation. The exterior of the couch was probably at 15 degrees pretty quickly but how long did it take the deepest interior parts of the couch to get down to that temp. It seems from what I've read that the longer it takes to get down to that temp the better chance of the bugs survival. Another question could be where are these clothes on the ground, on concrete outside or in a garage? One could also wonder how that can affect the temp of the clothes closest to the ground. No matter how cold it is the ground temp stays warmer for a long time. In a garage for instance or even on concrete outside, the ground temp takes longer to reach the ambient temp of the air because the ground 2 or more feet below the surface stays somewhere around 56 degrees F.

Personally, I would feel unsafe bringing the clothes back in without also laundering them all after the freezing myself. You have to ultimately make your own decision as to what will make you feel safe. Good luck in your war against the bugs. Take care of yourselves. Later... cos

28. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 16:29:49
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not that I would rely on freezing, but there is nothing for me to rely on now. Maybe if I froze some things it would kill something...I don't know...ALL my possessions are piled in my tiny kitchen now while the PCO treats, and of course I found nothing in the closets or anything. Once again, I have to wash everything I own tonight. This is compounded with my being very ill and unable to get health insurance. Honestly, if I see another bug after this...

29. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 22:48:43
    #

Login to Send PM

do you have to wash everything again? if the clothes are already in bags, can't you just put them in a hot hot dryer for 40 minutes per load? i plan to do that before i do the final unpack (which is wayyyy far away in the future yet). i figure one last cycle in the dryer for everything, just for peace of mind.

sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. make sure you drink lots of water (strange advice i know, but it's what my mom always used to say when i was sick). things always look the worst just before they start to get better, don't you worry.

30. cosbear

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Dec 4 2007 0:35:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sleepless: I am so sorry to hear that everything seems to be ganging up on you right now. Freezing most likely will kill some bugs and probably eggs it just may be a good idea to dry them again after the freezing to make sure. I'm so sorry you are feeling so disheartened at the moment and know how easy that is even without being sick. I have a lot of medical problems myself and know how hard it can be when fighting the bugs. I felt so bad sometimes because of my bad back that I just wanted to give in and sleep the day away. I knew that I couldn't though because keeping up my regimes was my only hope of winning. I have won I think. Though I can't be sure for months of course but no bites or sightings for three weeks. If your PCO is any good at all you should be seeing some results before long. I hope that comes soon for you. You really sound like you need a chance to relax and rest up and get your health back. Heres wishing you all the best. Later... cos

31. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 12:31:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, my mum and I cleaned everything on Monday after the exterminator came, and it's all in bags. Tomorrow I unpack the non-washable items (books and such) so that anything in there will leave. My PCO said something interesting - that in the first few days after extermination BB will move around more and try to find new hiding places. After that, they're settled so you can take your books out and if any are in they'll still die crossing the residual but there's less chance the poison will have them moving INTO those items. I am constantly paranoid when my parents are here, because I don't want them to get bugs but they're convinced I either haven't got them or it's a very light problem and my mom says she'll risk getting bugs to help me out It's really sweet but it scares the living daylights out of me. I make them keep their things in the kitchen when they come over...
    My dad also caulked the place, but says it looks really well sealed and he doesn't think anything will come in. It's possible the bug I saw last week was just a straggler who had been hiding in a picture frame and came out when he got too hungry, and that's my hope, of course, but I don't necessarily believe it (I did check all picture frames, btw, as did the PCO). Cleaning on Monday took FIVE hours, and I'm so grateful I had my mum because I never could have done it alone (particularly getting everything to the laundromat).

The only good thing about this is that I have been getting rid of items I don't need. In the past I've been a bit of a sentimental pack rat, and at this point I want to get rid of anything I don't use/really love at this point because less clutter is good. This is fabulous, because I may be moving to England in a year or so, so the less I have, the easier that will be...

Also, I wanted to mention something...I've noticed people on this site talking about tiny red marks on the arms and upper chest - I have these too, and I only noticed them once the BB appeared. However, my mother has them as well, and had hundreds of them not a week after I first found the BB, the first time I actually saw her after getting them, so she couldn't have gotten them from me and they have never had any signs. My doctor thinks they are tiny cherry angiomas and they are genetic, not caused by BB, so that's good news. I think we just notice things like that SO much more often with BB because, honestly, when before have you had a need to inspect your skin so closely?

Oh, and apparently, a side effect of the anti-depressants my doctor put me on for the BB was ITCHY RED BUMPS So now it's even harder to tell if the few "bites" I thought I had really were...I already get skin rashes and pimples...arrgh...

32. NotSoSnug

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 20:28:35
    #

Login to Send PM

The angiomas I have are tiny red marks just under the top layer of skin, at skin level. They don't raise like a welt, and look like a red freckle. My BB bites look like either a welt, varying from 1/10in to 1/2in diameter or an excema patch. The patch will ahve the bite marks in it but I didn't suspect BBs since I tend to have excema anyway and scratch it to bleeding often. I realize that everyone reacts differently, but even on me the reactions varied widely. Possibly due to whatever stage was biting. Some of my bite scars are brown, some are still red excema patches, both weeks after the live bites.

33. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2007 14:15:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Mine are generally like welts as well. My problem is that I can't really judge based on skin condition unless I have something REALLY obvious (which I haven't since the first round of bites). I've always had rashes and acne on my back, and the second particularly tends to look very similar to a bite so I can't for the life of me tell the difference. The worst part is, when I get paranoid I start scratching and end up picking at old acne which then swell up for a few minutes and look EXACTLY like BB bites. Last night I went to town on my back as I was so nervous and when I looked in the mirror it looked as if I had been bitten in a curved line all down my back (which corresponded exactly with as far as my fingers could reach). This morning, nothing is bumpy or itchy. So, in other words, if I don't see a bug I can't figure out what's going on And that sucks. I can't go by things in the bed, either, because of two things: my cat's litter is made of wheat and she gets it in the bed ALL the time, and her fur is black and ends up in little puffy lint clumps, and in terms of fecal specs, well, if I forget to remove my eye makeup, I end up with clumped mascara that looks exactly like them. I actually found a poppy seed in my bed last night, courtesy of eating a poppyseed bagel on the floor a few weeks ago...I stared at it in terror, and then I decided to bite into it, to test. Honestly, before bedbugs I never would have considered trying to eat something to see whether it was feces or not. Screw bedbugs, they make me so crazy -.-

34. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2007 15:09:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I have those little angiomas too. In my case I believe they are the result of too many childhood sunburns on Irish skin. In any case, they were have been there for years and they do not change or go away.

35. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2007 15:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

SleeplessinChicago,

Please do not kill yourself over this bed bug shit!
    Life can throw you some curve balls so calm down because yes you may be dealing with skin reactions but it is NOT the end of the world. In the midst of my battle months ago I took my dog for our weekend stroll and I met a young woman who was battling cancer, she had lost her hair but what a beautiful smile with eyes that glowed. This made my bb problem seem much smaller and I was thankful. This bb thing is something that we are not able to control, it is worlwide. I do think that we can fight and fight we must, so grab a hold of yourself and look at it maybe like it is some sort of a game. Its not like the bbs are armed with assault rifles. It is a challenge and it will not go on forever.

36. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2007 16:07:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Also,
    I have noticed skin reaction flare ups after I even think of bed bugs. I do think that stress has a roll in old bites flaring up.
    Just a hunch.

37. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2007 21:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleeplessinchicago. Hi, I have been reading your posts, and want to say you have my full sympathy.

It is nice that you have help from your parents. I hope they are taking precautions. I have been to my niece’s apartment helping her, making mattress covers, helping steam. When I come in, my boots, coat, purse all go immediately into a clean plastic bag and tied. I bring a clean set of clothes with me in another bag. Just before I leave, I change clothes really fast, bag the ones that I had been wearing and go straight out of the door. I suppose I could take a shower also, but I don’t. Doing this kind of a thing will make you less worried about your parents,

I also wanted to say that it can be so difficult and disheartening dealing with the bugs. It’s the absolute pits. I’ve heard it expressed as being a life changing experience. For example, I am unable to take a lot of exertion because of a heart attack, and at first I was really stressed out which is not good for the old ticker. But I am feeling better every day, and know that all the work I am doing is having results.

Try and take heart from the others here, and as you go from one day to another, you will become stronger in dealing with the old bugs (although some days will probably be worse than others.) You can do it!!

Take care of yourself.

38. SleeplessinChicago

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 15:23:12
    #

Login to Send PM

My parents refuse to take proper precautions. Anything they do is because I make them do it... They're convinced I have none or very few bugs...I'm so worried...

39. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Dec 10 2007 17:31:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sleepless. I had the same issue, my mom kept saying she didn't believe I even had BBs. I was so mad that she would not validate all mey research and knowledge. Parents can be so infuriating.

40. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Dec 11 2007 10:22:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Many people who are not getting bites or see bugs do not understand how bad bbs can be,
    They all tend to think that we are going nuts. I say to hell with them. I gotta do what I gotta do to save my life.

41. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Dec 11 2007 21:50:39
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah, most of my family and friends think that i am being overly extreme in my precautions. i can understand why they think that, a few weeks ago before i read up (here) on bedbugs, i probably would have thought that too.

someone should do a news story on bedbugs - not just the fact that they are an 'epidemic' - but an informative show on the symptoms of bedbugs, the dos and don'ts to prevent getting them (tips for travel, buying used furniture, etc.), and how to prevent spreading them if you think you may have them. also information on treatment, and how to get rid of them!

wish i was a journalist.

p.s. sleepless - could you perhaps hand your parents a plastic bag to store their things in as soon as they walk in the door? even if they refuse to bring fresh clothes, maybe you could bag some of their items for them (purse, shoes, jackets, etc.) to reduce the risk? just a thought...

42. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 10:35:42
    #

Login to Send PM

lil_bit_obsessed,
    Don't get me started on journalists and the media, I promised Nobugsonme that I would refrain.
    One thing though is that if you have day dreams that maybe the media could help us by doing more responsible reporting
    than forget about it, don't waist your energy, save your energy for battle.

43. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 13:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I see bug shows on the Discovery Channel all the time. I wish they'd do a bedbug show. Or Animal Planet. Bedbugs should certainly be a candidate for that "Most Extreme" show. As in most extremely difficult to kill.

44. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 15:34:36
    #

Login to Send PM

itchyincharmcity,
    yes more should be done especially that more people have now heard something about bed bugs, not like a year or so ago when I got my surprise.

45. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Dec 12 2007 18:44:15
    #

Login to Send PM

well i have an idea.

instead of hoping a journalist will come along who will a) be interested in the topic and b) cover the issues that i feel are actually important (and not just sensationalize it in a stereotypical way)... maybe i will contact the local newspaper and see if they will let ME write an article on bedbugs?

perhaps after christmas, when i am out of the mire of program deadlines that are currently taking over my life (along with the bedbugs, of course), i will get in touch with them and see what they say. it could be a pro-active approach to dealing with the lack of general public knowledge on the topic. take THAT bedbugs!

46. itchyincharmcity

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Dec 13 2007 12:46:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Great idea! You could write an opinion piece for the op-ed page focusing on whatever issues are important to you in the BB war.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,409 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams