Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Failed Vikane Treatment/Fecal ID/Next Steps?

(12 posts)
  1. js2337a

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jun 5 2019 22:04:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,
    Last week just two days prior to me having to move from my apartment, I discovered a tiny nymph crawling on my bed. I had suspected bed bugs for a couple of weeks after being itchy. I’d had bed bugs once before and had no noticeable reactions. This time though, I woke up one morning with a row of three welts on my leg.

Save for the bug and a few bites, there were no other signs. No fecals, no skins, no spots. I had climb ups that I bought after a previous bed bug encounter and they didnt have any bbs (only carpet beetles). I freaked out, called a fumigation company in NYC and arranged to have movers pick up my stuff and have everything Vikaned. Because it was short notice, the mover agreed to hold my stuff in his van until it gassed.

Now after moving I’m not sure if it worked. After a night in my place, I woke up and developed an itchy spot on my chin which has developed into a tiny welt. After putting a brand new encasement on my mattress and box spring last night, I also found this spot on the encasement (possible fecal?).

https://m.imgur.com/ykYyxju

I understand skin reactions are a poor indication, but in general I am wary of the Vikane treatment. The mover I used (who was recommended by the company) was nice but used an extended cargo van that JUST fit all my stuff. I had mostly cardboard boxes but there were a few plastic bins that the mover said he took the lids off, but I’m not convinced (he also said he had considered transferring my things to a larger truck for treatment but then decided there was enough space for air to flow in his van). I had some suitcases and I have no idea id he unzipped them.

Now I’m sitting here in a new room with an itchy welt and half my boxes unpacked. The thought of them surviving and being brought to my new place has caused my anxiety to surge. What are the best ways to monitor when these things hide so well? Should I still unpack? Is there anything I can put down or treat with that could help (and is also safe for cats? My new roommate has two). I’m racking my brain not knowing. Please help!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jun 5 2019 22:35:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The spot is not faecal.

Please refer to the example images to see the obvious differences.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. js2337a

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Jun 5 2019 22:51:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. I didn’t know if it was maybe a possible ureic stain.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jun 6 2019 0:24:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Given that bedbug ureic stains are beige to biscuit colour that’s even less likely.

Equally ureic traces are rare because they were not seem to occur with well fed populations that need to pass excess water.

A little less over thinking and more honest and objective looking at the fine detail.

David

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jun 6 2019 9:21:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Skin lesions should never be used as confirming evidence.
    Did you have the nymph IDed or did you schedule the treatment on your own without instruction from a PCO?

6. js2337a

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jun 6 2019 11:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

The nymph was confirmed by a PCO as a bed bug. Before I left, our management company sent a PCO in to spray my bed and the apartment. We sent him a photo and he also confirmed the specimen in person.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jun 6 2019 12:31:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, that's good info. If that was the only sample ever found it sounds like you're in good shape.

8. js2337a

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jun 6 2019 20:13:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I certainly hope so. Given how recent the discovery was and how elusive the bugs are it’s hard to believe that they’ve just suddenly been eradicated like that. My understanding is that Vikane is super powerful but that a crowded vehicle can compromise it’s effectiveness. Skin lesions aren’t the best indicator but knowing they can also be biting while leaving little to no trace makes it almost impossible to relax. I appreciate both your expertise and the resources on here.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Jun 6 2019 22:50:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It can make it appear impossible to relax but actually that’s all about perception rather than reality. I have put a lot of time into making relaxation resources available, I would suggest you check some of them out.

Yes bedbugs can hide anywhere and leave traces anywhere but the reality is that’s not how it works. For example while bedbugs could defecate anywhere in a room I have illustrated many times I can get them to do so on a targeted area and in order to do that they don’t live “anywhere” they live inside the monitor.

Yes it’s a daunting subject but there is a huge difference between reading the curated static content and reading the less structured and more emotive posts. One will help you to understand while the other if you are not careful is a magnetic pity party that will suck you in.

Worth spending the time to challenge your reactions and to better channel that energy and those resources.

David

10. Saffy

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jun 10 2019 15:59:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi
    Can you tell me what a Vicane treatment is?
    Thanks Saffy

11. Georgieee

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Jun 11 2019 0:08:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Saffy - 8 hours ago  » 
    Hi
    Can you tell me what a Vicane treatment is?
    Thanks Saffy

Vikane treatment is a gas, also called fumigation.

12. js2337a

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Jun 23 2019 16:17:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Saffy,
    Vikane treatment, as Georgiee said, is a gas treatment that, when done properly, is supposed to kill all stages of bed bugs. My understanding is that it's similar to what is done when a house is tented for termites, albeit the dosage is different. For obvious reasons, it needs to be done by a professional as it is a highly lethal gas. Where I live in NYC there are facilities that can tent and gas a whole van/truck of your belongings if you are moving from an infested apartment and into a new one.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,715 posts in 48,877 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver