Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Failed Treatment! Now thinking BAT bugs!! Refund?

(12 posts)
  1. INFJ171

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2016 16:45:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all. New to this forum, though I've been reading posts over the past couple months as I deal with "bed bugs". You're all familiar with this story so I'll try to be brief. I moved into an apartment (with a bedbug addendum). Had never experienced or heard about people getting bed bugs before. Actually lived in the apartment for a year with no problens, then suddenly found bed bugs. Panicked of course. Did tons of research, decided to go with heat treatment. Went with a reputable local company that included a 90 day guarantee. Inspector is also the owner and neither of us could pinpoint a source (no vacation, no used furniture, no guests, etc) so assumed it must've been random after surrounding apartments were cleared. Treatment followed, I prepped correctly. No signs of bugs for almost a month... then I found one. Again to shorten, I would proceed to find a bug a month over the 90 days. The inspector would come, confirm, (I saved them in baggies) and spray, thinking it was just a couple of stragglers. Anyway as this continued, inspector began to feel that they were coming from somewhere, but all surrounding areas had supposedly been checked when my problem started (nothing found). 3 months of this and my bug guy is thinking it might actually be BAT BUGS. If that's the case, no treatment is likely to be affective unless the bats are found and removed. Inspection of the outside of the apartments found PLENTY of places that would appeal to bats, but no actual sign of bats. If we can't find any sign, there is no way the apartment company will take responsibility. My questions are, has anyone had experience with bat bugs, does anyone have any advice, and should I seek a refund from my PCO due to misidentification and failed treatment/lack of 90 days of success?? I'm really at my wits end here. I'm hopefully moving in october, but that's months away and I don't want to take the damn things with me!!

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2016 16:50:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you would need to access the attic to find out. If there are bats up there, poop should be up there as well.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. INFJ171

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2016 17:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

The bug guy already asked about an attic space, and spoke to the office. Our apartments are oddly built, no attic space and the side is shingled almost to the ground...there are hollow spaces between the shingles and the actual wall/overhang. There are screens underneath to allow water to drain/keep pests out but the screen has major holes. These are what make the PCO suspicious, but the holes he has looked up in don't show any bat signs.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2016 12:42:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Bat or bird bugs could be an issue. Obviously the presence of a bird or bat would be a tip off, but they can be ID'd visually so why not find a way to post a close image of the bug? Lou Sorkin could ID if it is clear enough.

You can also take a sample to a local entomologist (cooperative extension offices in the US are a good resource).

Every PCO tech is not trained to do the ID on these but some have an entomologist on call who could.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. INFJ171

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 31 2016 16:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I have tried to take some photos, hard to get clear ones. How can I post them??

6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Mar 31 2016 16:42:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Try Imgur.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Apr 1 2016 6:07:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Also Flickr is good. Google photos is good.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Apr 1 2016 22:56:11
    #

Login to Send PM

How to post a photo for ID:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/test-13

9. Huckemon

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 12:30:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Last Monday (Aug 1), I found a live bat in my house. It swooped in the living room while we were watching tv, and then flew upstairs into our bedroom. Never saw a bat or indication of a bat before.
    We were able to catch the bat and fortunately it tested negative for rabies.

On Tuesday (Aug 2), at 11pm I found a bug on my pillow. I captured the bug in a ziplock bag and proceeded to examine the bed and headboard. On the floor just below my pillow I discovered bat droppings. Some bat droppings were also found in my living room on my bookcase. No evidence of bugs, fecal staining, or castes were seen.
    I sent this bug to Penn State University Entomology for identification.

On Wednesday (Aug 3), I found a similar bug on the window trim in bathroom (approximately 50ft from bedroom).
    I captured said bug in a ziplock bag and sent this one to Cornell University Entomology.

The results are in, and much to my HORROR:
    PSU ID - Eastern Bat Bug
    Cornell U ID- Bed Bug

WHAT THE WHAT?!?!?! What is the next reasonable step??? I am unfortunately in a state of complete meltdown over this and have no clue what to do now. I am living in a limbo horror story.
    Any advice would be so much appreciated.

10. Huckemon

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 12:32:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Last Monday (Aug 1), I found a live bat in my house. It swooped in the living room while we were watching tv, and then flew upstairs into our bedroom. Never saw a bat or indication of a bat before.
    We were able to catch the bat and fortunately it tested negative for rabies.

On Tuesday (Aug 2), at 11pm I found a bug on my pillow. I captured the bug in a ziplock bag and proceeded to examine the bed and headboard. On the floor just below my pillow I discovered bat droppings. Some bat droppings were also found in my living room on my bookcase. No evidence of bugs, fecal staining, or castes were seen.
    I sent this bug to Penn State University Entomology for identification.

On Wednesday (Aug 3), I found a similar bug on the window trim in bathroom (approximately 50ft from bedroom).
    I captured said bug in a ziplock bag and sent this one to Cornell University Entomology.

The results are in, and much to my HORROR:
    PSU ID - Eastern Bat Bug
    Cornell U ID- Bed Bug

WHAT THE WHAT?!?!?! What is the next reasonable step??? I am unfortunately in a state of complete meltdown over this and have no clue what to do now. I am living in a limbo horror story.
    Any advice would be so much appreciated.

11. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 12:39:01
    #

Login to Send PM

It'll be easier if you start a new thread. Repost this info.
    Unlikely that you have both bat and bed bugs, the Cornell id may have been a bit hasty.
    I would contact a PCO and let them know that you have bats in the attic or wherever and need to get rid of them and the bat bugs that are feeding on them.

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 14:45:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Answered on new thread.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,394 posts in 50,185 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,432 members. Latest: Ladybug1993, PROJECTD168, Kimmmie46