Facts and Logic vs Emotion in Dealing with Bed Bugs

(4 posts)
  1. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2016 9:27:05
    #

Login to Send PM

It’s easy to let emotion overtake logic and facts when it comes to bed bugs.

Recently, I found myself in a low risk bed bug situation, and my immediate reaction was a little bit of panic. Bed bugs seem to have this effect on people regardless of the facts.

I have often suggested here for people to change the very common attitude of “I have bed bugs but just can’t find them” to a more rational and healthy, “I don’t have bed bugs unless I actually see some solid evidence”.

It was time to remind myself of that same advice and it seems to be working. Yes, I will start monitoring a little and take a few preventative precautions, but I should probably being doing that anyway.

Bed bugs are a definite problem, but letting emotion override facts and logic can be even a bigger one.

Richard

2. yankeedoodle

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2016 9:42:35
    #

Login to Send PM

My bed is a place of comfort to me where I can find peace in my life. I am angry that bed bugs have taken away from me. Also my clothing. My clothes are things that mean a lot to me. To knowing that bugs live in them makes me feel violated.

3. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2016 9:47:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Need to get things in perspective. Imagine living somewhere like Syria where bombs, suicide bombers and various insurgents are fighting it out. Food prices go through the roof. Most of us are fortunate that we live in an area of relative stability.

4. misery

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2016 15:45:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I had to move through the emotion to reach logic. I set rules for my emotions. Only inspect the bed once every 3 days. Then 4. Then 5. Only tear apart the chair once every 2 days. Then 4. It's a tip that maybe helps someone else, idk. I have issues preceding the bedbug experiences and now? Now I have ISSUES. But I'm working on them with professionals. That is the greatest advice I can give. Find help. Then find balance. Then what works for you will find you.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,433 posts in 48,821 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW