Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Factors that go into probability to BB spreading to neighboring units

(9 posts)
  1. bbmd

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 14:48:36
    #

Login to Send PM

What are the risk factors for BB Infestation spreading to neighboring units in apartments

I had a small infestation (one adult seen, some eggs and some fecals on one area of bed frame) finished 2 steam/pesticide treatments and PCO is coming back (at 4 weeks after initial treatment) to inspect.

I live in an apartment and my building refused to inspect surrounding units despite my efforts. There are some areas of baseboards that have crevices that they will seal early next week.

I am paranoid at this point that they might have escaped to other units during treatment and then will come back to reinfest at a later time.......or I guess less likely I got them initially from neighbors and they will come back

I read a post from David that said spreading usually depends on extent of infestation and efficacy of the treatment.....

Any input to help the paranoia will be helpful.

Im waiting for passive monitors in the mail and havent seen anything on the current Ortho Home Defense monitors I have (fingers crossed knock on wood 1038490283948 times)

2. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 15:05:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Our infestation did occur from the apartment below ours so it does happen. Self treatment or abandonment of the infested living space will increase chance of them spreading which both of these happened to us. They self treated from April to July and had abandoned their apartment for 2 weeks in July causing them to come in search of a food source.

3. bbmd

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 15:19:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks- Were there any clues that tipped you off that they were coming from a neighboring unit? I have seen some people say they saw them on the walls or baseboards or found them during the daytime?

4. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 15:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Didn't you see one on the wall like the 2nd day after you moved in?

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  5. bbmd

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 15:56:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I think your question is directed to Woodrow...I havent seen any one the walls and have lived in this unit for 7 years. First and only one I found was after two separate inspections by the first PCO who said there were no signs when I was putting my disassembled bed back together. (Thank God I caught it!!!!!)

Since that time I have tried to routinely inspect outlets, walls, baseboards, ceilings and havent seen anything suspicious......

It just really irks me my building is so reluctant to examine neighboring units despite my PCO recommendations and my urging. It brings the level of paranoia and anxiety up when it doesnt need to be that way =(

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 15:58:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The biggest cause of dispersal is foggers and total release aerosol treatments which is why educating about them and why they should not be used is the first step. They are often the very thing that people reach for and even though there are products out there with bed bugs on the label is not the correct approach.

To put this into context an unmolested infestation will often remain in the one property for many years content to feed on the source that is available. However, a light to medium infestation can spread with just a single fogger or by avoiding one room during treatment.

Therefore the solution to spread will always be one that start with education and communication. If your landlord is not very co-operative then seek out the others in the building with a problem. Its likely that the issues are connected and working together you can get to the bottom of things.

I have seen a fair few cases where whole building screening has proven the dynamics were ones of tenant introduction rather than building spread and often finding high levels of introduction in a building without a heavy source unit is the first step to realizing that.

I know this kind of action is not easy in urban settings but there are plenty of resources here and in my site to help with just that. In my case using information from another country removes local bias or allegations of commercial interest.

I am happy to put some time into thinking about the creation of a multi stage building communication workbook. A tool that helps an advocate in a building communicate the core issues quickly using a framework of documents and a tiered approach to communication of the facts without the fear. It would be a case of pooling the existing resources and adding some additional content and examples. I even have a number of illustrations to help make the point.

However, solutions are possible they just take a little longer than we would sometimes like.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  7. bbmd

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 16:29:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your input David...it would be great to have something like that and education/communication is key.

The building has been supportive/cooperative with treatment since I found the bed bug however they say it is very rare for them to have a bed bug issue (last one they report was several years ago) and they believe inspection is unwarranted because tenants will let them know if something is wrong.

I have tried doing my due diligence and now hoping that my treatment is successful and I am nearing the end of the road with this.

8. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 19:26:03
    #

Login to Send PM

bbmd - 3 hours ago  » 
    Thanks- Were there any clues that tipped you off that they were coming from a neighboring unit? I have seen some people say they saw them on the walls or baseboards or found them during the daytime?

Luckily, we live in a quadplex (4 units) and 3 of the 4 of us talk on a regular basis. We learned about the neighbors infestation so I got paranoid when we started to get bit. I began searching for them at that point. We had lived here for 3 years with no recent travel or anything so we are confident they moved from the apartment below us. I do not sleep in bed (I struggle to get comfortable with my CPAP) so I sleep on the couch and my husband wasn't making any mention of the bites, although he had been getting them for a couple weeks. It was the middle of summer so I understand him thinking they were mosquitoes. I got bites that resembled the classic breakfast lunch and dinner and began searching. Took me about 10 seconds and I found a live bug and droppings in the seam of the mattress. This was on Tuesday August 8th and our first treatment was August 10th. We are 2 treatments in and still getting quite a few bites. We get a third treatment on Wednesday.

9. Jacklo

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 3:15:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bbmd,

I thought I was reading myself reading your post. I live in a triplex with 2 surrounding neighbors. My landlord, in spite of the PCO having free inspections, told me he would not be inspecting the neighboring units because "they would have called him and told him" if there was a problem. (How stupid can people be seriously).

I had my first treatment 14 days ago and just found baby bed bugs on the floor, expecting the PCO to come back in a week or two.

Not much you can do, you can't force the landlord to inspect the neighboring units. What you can do is talk to the neighbors around you, or distribute a pamphlet explaining what bedbugs are. Many people are ignorant, and not everyone gets bit, some people live for years with those nasty things without ever knowing.

My problem is my neighbors don't speak english, are already dirty (leave trash everywhere in the yard, driveway etc) and don't seem to care about anything. We told them about a mouse problem a year ago and they shrugged it off, they have huge family gatherings with many many people that come and go, they have relatives stay with them for months at a time, it's just bed bug heaven and I'm sure they have them but I'm not sure how to approach the landlord about it without looking judgemental, the landlord is very aware of how filthy and cluttered they are but choose to ignore it and play dumb.

I'm not sure what to do but try and keep them at bay till we move out, it's too bad because this was really a great place and a nice location.

What we will be doing soon once the PCO authorizes it, caulking all the baseboards, using DE earth everywhere but not too much because of respiratory issues, lavender pine sol mixed with some drops of tea tree oil, bounce sheets in all drawers, everywhere we can put one, duct taping every electronic socket, or plugging something into them, whichever. Duct taping even the zipper of our mattress protector. Keeping most linens/textiles we don't use in bags in the garage. Storing most of our kids stuffed animals in bags in the garage.

Keeping up with it all till we're ready to move. It's sad that some landlords are just too greedy and cheap to care. When we move we will be leaving hidden notes everywhere about bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,427 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams