1. Patricck

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 5 2010 23:01:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I have had quite the Bed Bug experience since two months ago:

Start: I moved into an all student apartment during late August. I started to notice bugs really late at night (brown and redish color) on the walls, not the bed. My roommate also noticed these. I talked to the building and they sent an exterminator. He confirmed they were Bed Bugs and sprayed something. However, after the first treatment - they were still there and after my constant complaining, I was moved to a new unit. He also said there was no evidence of them in the mattress. They were coming from the outlets.

Everything was washed before moving to the new unit.

Next Unit: About a week into living in the new unit, I saw another Bed Bug walking on a wall. I told the building and they sent the exterminator. He said there was no evidence (but I showed him the bug). He sprayed some stuff again. About three weeks later, I noticed another bug in my bedroom on the wall moving toward my bed AND one large bug on my sheets. This was in the daytime - not like the usual 2-3AM bed bug 'come out' time. Note: I have DE laid all out around me bed , and apparently didn't work.

The Talk: I went and talked to the building again, they said the building is not having a bug problem - I am bringing them into my rooms. I told them that others were experiencing the issue, and they said they have had no complains. But I know for a fact that others have had extermination treatments. They said they would send the exterminator again - but it is pretty clear that whatever he is doing is not working.

Question: What should I do from here? I honestly don't think I am bringing them, I believe they are coming from either the ceiling or wood in this building. It is a studio apartment and there is plenty of dry wood everywhere. The fact that most of the ones I have seen were on the walls makes me think they are not in my bed.

Options:
    1. Should I personally get a new exterminator at my cost and get an estimate/opinion
    2. Try to move to another unit
    3. Leave the building

Thank you.

2. WGarrow

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 5 2010 23:35:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I would go with three. It took 6-7 treatments to eradicate them from my mom's tiny studio apartment, and we're STILL not sure they are all gone. One or two half-hearted sprayings won't do the trick.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 6 2010 0:41:41
    #

Login to Send PM

It would be interesting if any units have reported themselves on the Bed Bug Registry, or if you're in NYC, to the city (which you can check via the NYC HPD website), or in another city that takes complaints (the San Francisco Dept. of Public Health and Boston Inspectional Services Division are two other examples).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Patricck

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 6 2010 1:16:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I have reported the building to the Bed Bug registry.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 6 2010 1:53:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Patricck - 34 minutes ago  » 
    I have reported the building to the Bed Bug registry.

What I was getting at is if there are multiple units with bed bugs, someone else may have reported their problems either to the Bed Bug Registry, or the department which handles inspections (if any) in the city or county.

In some cases, you can check these reports. And evidence that the problem had been reported --especially if officially reported by others -- might be useful to you.

6. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 22:06:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep, you're better off leaving. The exterminator is probably spraying a useless insecticide the bugs have become resistant to. The problem with apartments is having neighbors; if you lived in a home, you could treat the perimeter of all walls and have a better shot at getting them. You could use dusts, different sprays, etc.

...or you could nuke them from orbit; that's the only way to be sure.
    (just kidding)

-blargg

7. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 24 2011 5:55:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I was about to comment on this thread ... Then realized it was from 6 months ago. I just read the entire thread for nothing.

Is there a way that people can see the date of the OP more clearly ?
    I'm sure by now this person is not looking for advice.

8. blargg

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 24 2011 6:18:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Ahh, sorry bout that. But when I'm browsing a forum and a topic is on the front page, I figure it's recent. Can you blame me? I'll look more closely next time.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,802 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991