Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Exterminator came for 3rd time...still Bed Bugs! Is this still normal?

(4 posts)
  1. oo7grayfox

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 4 2018 11:33:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I first noticed I had bed bugs about 3 weeks ago. I didn't notice bites or anything but I saw some beetle-like insects on my bed. I picked up my mattress and saw a few of them on the mattress tag. Then I looked them up online and was pretty sure they were bed bugs. Plus, one of the bugs I killed smeared blood so it must have bit me at some point. I called and made an appointment for an Exterminator to come to my Apartment. I called Standard Pest Management https://www.standardpest.com/. I had to wait a week though. When they came, they used a Steam method combined with certain chemicals...The chemicals were listed as:

Liquid Transport MIKRON Dust Tri-Die, Mother Earth D Aerosol (Bedlam, D-Force, ECO
    PCO –ACU, CB-80)

I put both my bed and box spring in encasements. I was told that I might still see them after they came for the first treatment, but I'd have to sleep in my bedroom anyway to make sure they didn't spread. 2 nights later I saw two bedbugs on my bed, one on my bedroom wall, and one was in the living room! So the next morning I called the exterminator again. A guy came and did a "perimeter" treatment with a spray. He sprayed all around the apartment and my room. For a week, while waiting for them to come a final time for a follow-up appointment, I didn't see any evidence of bedbugs...I even bought those "ClimbUps" and didn't see any in there.

Yesterday they came for the follow-up. The guy looked at my bed and around the room, and that on top of what I said about not seeing any for a week, he said he thought they were probably gone. But he was going to spray again and I believe do some steam again, so I had to leave the apartment. He said though that he would have to leave the mattress and box-spring on it's side against the wall and I should leave it like that for 4 hours. So, I left to go to work and figured I'd just put the bed back together when I got home.

After work, I called a friend to come over to help me put the bed back together. Right away we saw an adult bed bug on the mattress. I killed it. Then I inspected the box spring and saw a nymph crawling around!! I tried to kill it but I dropped the napkin and I think he might have gotten away!

Now, it's the weekend and they are not open on the weekend so I have to wait until Monday to get in touch with them again! On their website, they say that after the follow-up treatment it costs extra for more services. I've already paid them $1000 on this and my land lord only agreed to cover half (I know in NYC land lords are supposed to pay for all of it, but he gives me a good deal on rent so I'm hesitant to rock the boat).

I guess after my long story, the question is...After a 3rd treatment, if I see bugs the night of does that mean that maybe the poison just hasn't killed them off yet? Is it possible that they will still die off? Or does it mean that the poison didn't touch them at all and the exterminator would most likely need to come again? Also, how much should I be freaking out that I saw a nymph!? Does that mean that new eggs were laid somewhere and that there are most likely more?

This all has been horrible for me and I am barely sleeping. I have an anxiety disorder besides this, and I've always had a phobia of bugs as well! So this has been kind of torture!

I am so happy that I found this forum, and just wanted to share my story and see what everyone's input is. Thanks for reading!!! I know this was long!

2. BuggeddOutt

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 5 2018 11:26:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I can relate to how you are feeling, I have anxiety myself and bedbugs really seem to make it extreme. Even though you are going through this you must still take care of yourself and get enough sleep. Not sleeping will only make your anxiety worse. If you haven't already I suggest you click the link at the top of the page titled "bed bug faqs", lots of good info there if you've never dealt with bedbugs before. I am a little confused with the treatment schedule you've had. Usually a chemical treatment is applied 3 times every 2 weeks. This gives eggs time to hatch between treatments so that the nymphs will be killed as well. Transport Mikron is effective because it was used in my treatment, and has a residual effect for 30 days I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I'm just unsure with the way your PCO is applying it how well this situation will pan out. In my experience the mattress and boxspring are sprayed, along with living room furniture and then a perimeter spray is done in the entire space, I even had my basement sprayed bc that is where the laundry is. You will need to go over your contract with the company and see exactly what you've already paid for and what their guarantee is. Usually they have a 30, 60, or 90 day warranty so if you are still seeing bugs they will retreat for free. I'm assuming you don't react to the bites so you will have to do a weekly inspection and check for any activity (bugs, eggs, fecal, blood stains on sheets, etc.) That's how you will know if the treatment is successful. Be very careful when moving your encased mattress and boxspring and check the encasements for any rips or tears weekly as well. You may still see bugs after treatment because they need to cross the poison and then eventually die, which may take a some time. Also it could take a few weeks for every single bug to come out to feed, contact poison, and then die because they only feed when they need to ranging from 5 to 14 days on average. Good luck with everything and I just wanted to say I am not an expert, these opinions are just based on my personal experiences. Every situation is different and different companies use different methods.

3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 6 2018 8:41:42
    #

Login to Send PM

While most low- medium bed bug issues are resolved in two visits it is not uncommon for some locations to require additional service. This can be for several reasons, a spot may have been missed at the time of initial (part of the reason for a scheduled follow up), perhaps bed bugs were in a sheltered spot which could not be treated such as in a bag or between clothing or may have been carried out in a bag or back pack and reintroduced . Question: do you know how the issue started? in case this is a reintroduction from that source or did it travel in from another unit. Point the issue out to the firm and hopefully it can be quickly resolved. Do you know if any adjacent units are having an issue especially during these hot bed bug afternoons.

4. oo7grayfox

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 8 2018 20:40:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys, so the exterminator came again yesterday. Luckily, they did not charge me. He sprayed every nook and cranny in my room with something called xCrossFire https://www.bedbugsupply.com/crossfire-bed-bug-concentrate.html . He also sprayed the living room a bunch too. And, he inspected both rooms very thoroughly. I stayed in the apartment this time and observed his work. The only thing he found was a single dead bed bug. So I'm guessing that's a good sign. Also, I haven't seen any bedbugs since Friday. But I know even with all of this, from what I've read here and other places, it doesn't necessarily mean it's over.

So, I'm thinking that next Friday will mark 2 weeks since I saw the last bed bug. I figure that if I go until then, without seeing any, that I'm probably in the clear. Would you guys agree?

As for where the bugs might have come from, I don't really know. The most likely thing is that I took a trip to Italy back in April...it was the first overseas trip I've ever taken, and I've wanted to go most of my life. Anyway, I stayed in a couple of different hostels while I was there, so I guess it's possible I picked up something. The only thing to counter that, is my buddy came with me and stayed in the same rooms...And, he's looked and said he doesn't have any. I mean we didn't share the same beds, but if there were bedbugs in those hostels wouldn't it be likely he would have come back with some too?

Either that, or it's still possible that they could have come from the apartments above and below me...Although my landlord said that nobody else has complained...But, he wants me to keep quiet about it. So, it is possible that someone else has bedbugs but just don't know it. If after this last time, I still see them come back, I'll have to say something even if my landlord doesn't like it. I've just been quiet about it because he gives me a good deal on rent. But, if this continues I'll have to escalate the situation. Also, my bedroom shares a wall with the building next door to me...so it is possible that they could have come from there as well.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,452 posts in 46,581 topics over 142 months by 20,545 of 21,411 members. Latest: PrismArc, unclejohn, WheelBugger