Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

exposed, working diligently to prevent possible infestation

(3 posts)
  1. hopeful_in_Cincy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 2 2010 14:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello intrepid bedbuggers!

My unending sympathies to anyone suffering a full infestation. I'm going crazy at the *thought* of a *possible* infestation, so I can't imagine what it's like to actually be at the center of one.

I recently stayed overnight at a friend's house, who discovered about 4 or 5 days later that her used couch had brought BBs into her apartment. Unfortunately, she waited until 2 weeks later [that is, 2 weeks from my overnight stay, 1.5 weeks from her discovery] to tell me...must not be terribly familiar with BBs. :p I had, in the interim, stayed at four houses. My stay at my family's vacation spot was in particularly tight quarters...spent a few nights with two other cousins in a king size bed.

Being a Cincinnati resident, I understand exactly how seriously to take exposure to BBs. Although I'm praying that it's unlikely for me to have taken the bugs (I stayed less than 24 hours, slept on an air mattress far from her couch, never even touched her couch), I made sure to quarantine and carefully clean through my luggage/things before integrating my stuff back into my apartment.

My questions:

2. How long until I can be reasonably sure I haven't brought any home? (I didn't notice any signs of bedbugs/their feces/bloodspots in my things as I unpacked, and I'm somewhat confident that the only bites I suffered while away were from mosquitoes).
  3. Any suggestions for giving advice to my family? Apart from telling them to thoroughly clean the areas I stayed in as best they can, I'm not sure what to tell them. The room I stayed in at my parets' house is vacant when I'm not visiting...I have a feeling that any BBs I could have brought home would simply go dormant, making detection pretty impossible.
  • Just use the easy button

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 2 2010 15:04:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I would purchaces mattress covers, use DE around all the baseboards and maybe even on the bed frame where possible. Using climbups wouldn't hurt either.

< ^ > (•¿•) < ^ >

• hopeful_in_Cincy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 2 2010 15:37:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Will pass on, though might be hard to convince my parents it's necessary. (My father, while extremely practical and intelligent, is convinced I'm entirely overreacting, as he hasn't ever seen anyone deal with a full infestation, like I have.)

Another recent thread mentions it can take up to a month to notice signs. This means a few more weeks until I can be reasonably sure I/my family back in PA are BB free?

• RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,417 posts in 46,320 topics over 141 months by 20,415 of 21,254 members. Latest: spokallus, nu2bedbugs87, ndjur