Experts: Yes or No?

(8 posts)
  1. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 14:55:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Experts:

I have been monitoring for quite awhile now and I occasionally see blood spots on my sheets. Sometimes they're in areas with no other rational cause. I've tried to disregard them because from the responses I've received, most experts don't seem to think the bugs cause blood spots. If they were from me bleeding (even after a bite) they would be in an area I would have rolled on. I found a new one today (about the size of the tip of a q-tip - I had another one that size a couple of weeks ago).

I know you can not conclusively identify based on this, but I would like to know, do they ever just randomly spew blood that could possibly cause these spots?

Thank you

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:11:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I wrote something on this back in 2008 which may help you identify if there is a bedbug potential in the blood spots as there are actually 3 different types and only one really confirms bedbugs:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/DB2/bloodspotsPP.pdf

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:22:49
    #

Login to Send PM

That helps a little, David. Thank you.

I have identified this as "fresh blood." It's not dark enough to be a processed meal. So that still leaves me wondering since it's in the in-between catagory. How often do you see fresh blood caused by bed bugs?

Also, it was difficult to determine the size of the spots in your examples. Typically, are they much larger than a thin-tipped marker? This one is more on the side of a fat-tipped marker.

Thank you!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:40:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I don't see fresh blood spots that often with bedbugs, when I do they are often trailed off and smeared.

I see them more frequently when there is something else causing them such as fleas or an allergic reaction such as dust mites.

The sizes vary because the size is related to the clotting factors in the blood which is why I deliberately did not put a scale to this, often people obsess over size and its not really an appropriate measure with many things connected with bedbugs.

David

5. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 15:57:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, David.

So my answer is still inconclusive....

One last question for you. This particular spot is on my couch that is covered by a sheet. I have also been using the BB alert passive monitor on it for almost a week. It's under the middle cushion. I know you have said they can migrate there usually in about 72 hours. If I find nothing in a few weeks, do you think it's safe to assume I'm in the clear?

Thank you

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 16:02:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes if you see nothing for weeks and yet still get reactions its pretty safe to assume its not bedbugs causing the reactions. I still however advocate good attention to detail personal inspection alongside passives.

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly declare that I have a vested interest in the passive technology hence this disclaimer.

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 22:22:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugsmust die,

Just as a FYI, I'm not an expert...I'm allergic to dust mites and will get a skin reaction that probably looks like flea bites. Its not bites, but it looks like it. In really humid weather, there will be fresh blood. I think.

I'm fairly sure that you can be immune to dust mites and then hit 40 (or a certain age) and become severely allergic. Hope it's not that.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  8. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2011 7:06:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I've come to all sorts of inconclusive conclusions about my skin reactions. I know some of them are old bites. The new stuff, I am not sure if it's a skin reaction side-effect to having had the bites or a medical-related skin reaction or something else, like dust mites. I've been to the doctor and she wasn't much help. She gave me a tube of cream and now we're ruling out medical issues. I guess if it persists for several more months, I may ask for a referral to a dermatologist. So I've really tried to set aside my skin and look for evidence.

I'm confused about dust mites can cause "fresh blood." They don't really bite you, right? Do you just bleed because your skin is irritated?

Thanks for the info

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,187 posts in 50,134 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92