(6 posts)
  1. MsJ

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 4 2011 10:29:59
    #

Login to Send PM

As mentioned in a previous post.

http://picasaweb.google.com/110502385338122225296/Bugs?authkey=Gv1sRgCJzJxZmbssTK-AE#

Bug is dead now, so antennae have flopped, however, when it was alive:

Bug is dark/brown black, has wispy antennae, six legs of same length, egg-shaped body, not flat, segmented/ridged plate and a definite beak. Size is between 1-3mm.

Found this crawling on me at my MILs, so unsure if it's the same type of bug eating me at home, but any ID help will be a start!

Thanks,

Ms J.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 4 2011 11:22:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it's a weevil (a beetle) of some sort, but difficult to say because it's in plastic.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 4 2011 14:49:00
    #

Login to Send PM

May be from sub-family Cossoninae....

4. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 4 2011 14:49:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks like a weevil to me too, but I wouldn't describe weevil antennae as being "wispy". They are normally short and clubbed. Is it possible you are looking at something other than its antennae?

5. MsJ

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jan 5 2011 11:01:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard_Naylor - 19 hours ago  » 
    Looks like a weevil to me too, but I wouldn't describe weevil antennae as being "wispy". They are normally short and clubbed. Is it possible you are looking at something other than its antennae?

Thank you all for your replies which are very much appreciated. I can't state this enough.

Re: the antennae question: yes, antennae, and they seemed wispy at the time the bug was alive, but I would agree they were short or at least in proportion. As for clubbed, do you mean stubby? If so, no, definitely not.

I would write more but am needing a bug break tonight!

MsJ.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jan 5 2011 12:36:57
    #

Login to Send PM

You could take a picture of it but out of the plastic bag. Try a macro setting on the camera.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie