Expert Opinion / ID Needed

(15 posts)
  1. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Nov 3 2018 18:40:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Is this a bed bug or bed bug related...?

I found this specimen about two feet from my bed.

Please see all included photos, including one negative.

My camera is not very good, so I took multiple pictures to account for slight variations in image quality.

If not a bed bug specimen, is it an anthocorid or varied carpet beetle perhaps?

I'm not quite sure what to make of it, even with a magnifying glass.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Imgur - PICTURES

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 4 2018 8:38:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a beetle. Looks like a bug, possibly bed bug. I can't say with certainty from the pictures.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 4 2018 8:55:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Crap... I've seen quite a few pictures on the web of bedbugs, but none quite like this; where it looked like a bug had moulted and the exoskeleton(?) just sort of split open, almost symmetrically. Any chance that those are wing parts?

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 4 2018 11:02:42
    #

Login to Send PM

death2allbedbugs - 2 hours ago  » 
    Crap... I've seen quite a few pictures on the web of bedbugs, but none quite like this; where it looked like a bug had moulted and the exoskeleton(?) just sort of split open, almost symmetrically. Any chance that those are wing parts?

What's the plastic-looking stuff? They're not wings.

5. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 4 2018 11:35:10
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 22 minutes ago  » 

Honestly, I'm not too sure. That's kind of what I was referring to. I thought maybe you'd know if it was a part of the insect, or not. But I found the specimen just like that, and was afraid to tinker with it, for fear that I would ruin it.

It doesn't show well in the pictures, but when I try looking at it with my magnifying glass, the "plastic looking stuff" has what appear to be the typical horizontal stripes that you will find on many insects. They are dark, but faint.

In your opinion, would that be indicative of an insect's exoskeleton, if say maybe it had just moulted?

6. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sun Nov 4 2018 11:40:10
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 36 minutes ago  » 

-

Also, if you zoom in on pictures 5, 6, and 8 I think you'll see what I mean.

7. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 5 2018 9:08:21
    #

Login to Send PM

bump

8. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 5 2018 17:06:34
    #

Login to Send PM

New pictures with improved lighting

*** HERE ***

You will probably need to zoom in a bit more. Hope this helps!

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 5 2018 18:06:22
    #

Login to Send PM

death2allbedbugs - 58 minutes ago  » 

Better, but I can't make out more. Pictures are clearer, but hard to see insect due to the weird material.

10. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Mon Nov 5 2018 18:12:59
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 minutes ago  » 

Better, but I can't make out more. Pictures are clearer, but hard to see insect due to the weird material.

Do bedbugs ever shed their skin or exoskeletons like that? Because it really seems to be affixed to the insect. Can you try to zoom in on it?

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 6 2018 10:53:05
    #

Login to Send PM

death2allbedbugs - 16 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 2 minutes ago  » 

Do bedbugs ever shed their skin or exoskeletons like that? Because it really seems to be affixed to the insect. Can you try to zoom in on it?

No, never. Zoomed in, but clarity drops out. Here is a close-up of shed skins.
    3 shed skins of 5th instar bed bug nymphs by louento.pix, on Flickr

12. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 6 2018 11:18:14
    #

Login to Send PM

3 shed skins of 5th instar bed bug nymphs by louento.pix, on Flickr

-
    Hey Lou, thanks for the swift response. I appreciate the patience you have. Anyway, I've seen that image before. I actually referred to the gallery you linked me to a number of months ago.

So when I found my latest specimen, and checked your pictures, I was baffled, and decided to come here.

So if what I have here is in fact not an exoskeleton, but maybe a bedbug (dead), I have no idea why it would look like that, let alone how it got there.

Would a squashed bedbug look like that, or do those tend to crumble/break apart? I don't want to waste your time, or anyone else's for that matter.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 6 2018 19:47:11
    #

Login to Send PM

death2allbedbugs - 8 hours ago  » 

-
    Hey Lou, thanks for the swift response. I appreciate the patience you have. Anyway, I've seen that image before. I actually referred to the gallery you linked me to a number of months ago.
    So when I found my latest specimen, and checked your pictures, I was baffled, and decided to come here.
    So if what I have here is in fact not an exoskeleton, but maybe a bedbug (dead), I have no idea why it would look like that, let alone how it got there.
    Would a squashed bedbug look like that, or do those tend to crumble/break apart? I don't want to waste your time, or anyone else's for that matter.

It's a strange material stuck on it. I don't know what it is. Dried, dead bed bugs can break apart.

14. death2allbedbugs

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 6 2018 23:57:37
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a strange material stuck on it. I don't know what it is. Dried, dead bed bugs can break apart.

This might seem a bit odd, but is there any way that I could possibly send this to you in the mail, for further analysis?

If so, how long would it take to get an ID and hear back from you once you have it?

Thank you!

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Nov 7 2018 8:07:03
    #

Login to Send PM

death2allbedbugs - 8 hours ago  » 

This might seem a bit odd, but is there any way that I could possibly send this to you in the mail, for further analysis?
    If so, how long would it take to get an ID and hear back from you once you have it?
    Thank you!

Sure. You can send it. I'll give you the address.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,579 posts in 46,827 topics over 143 months by 20,660 of 21,558 members. Latest: gbbedbug, BuggedOUTinOH, tbhno