Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Expert knowledge may be needed- does BB blue survive freezing?

(7 posts)
  1. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 26 2016 12:19:41
    #

Login to Send PM

My shipment of passive monitors and bedbug blue got delivered Friday, apparently after we checked the mail. I thought my wife checked the mail yesterday, but she must not have--so it's been sitting outside in Canadian winter for three days (our mail comes to a community box--they deliver a key to you to open a parcel bin in the box when a package arrives.)

Will the BB Blue still work if it's been frozen or at least very cold? I just don't want to get a false positive... Or negative, because the cold affected it somehow.

Help?

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 26 2016 17:39:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Call the company. I'm sure once it gets back to room temperature it'll probably work fine.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. Canuck

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 26 2016 20:22:14
    #

Login to Send PM

The package does state 'store at 59 - 86 F (15 - 30 C). Keep away from heat and light. Do not refrigerate.'

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  4. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 26 2016 20:37:07
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE--it's fine! I got some blood to test it on, and it turned blue almost immediately. (Nobody worry--I have a mild skin condition, and as gross as it is it's not hard to find something to bleed a little bit. I guess useful in this one weird situation...)

Hi Sheree--I actually ordered it from you guys. The solution itself doesn't seem to be anything special--alcohol and peroxide--I could test it on some blood I suppose, and make sure it reacts. The spots I was worried about did not react, but also came off super easy, so I'm pretty confident they're ok. I'll see if I can find a means to test it and be sure.

5. djames1921

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 27 2016 13:20:15
    #

Login to Send PM

It should be fine, really it's the direct prolonged sunlight exposure on the test strips that will cause problems.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 27 2016 13:42:37
    #

Login to Send PM

sodabottlebb: The solution itself doesn't seem to be anything special--alcohol and peroxide--I could test it on some blood I suppose, and make sure it reacts.
    It's the chemical reaction with the test strip.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 27 2016 15:49:13
    #

Login to Send PM

djames1921 - 2 hours ago  » 
    It should be fine, really it's the direct prolonged sunlight exposure on the test strips that will cause problems.

Thanks, David!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,225 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago