Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Expert ID Please: More tan pellets, plus some possible nymph exoskeletons?

(6 posts)
  1. Montrealer2

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 22 2015 17:25:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone,

I posted a few weeks ago with an ID request for little hard amber/tannish pellets that continue to pop up on top of shelves, bookcases and tables, and under furniture -- they were deemed (from blurry pics) to be non-BB-related. I now have (hopefully) clearer photos that might help with the ID -- I can't find info/pics that match these things anywhere and want to know, once the BBs have vacated, who my possible next unwanted guests may be.
    In addition, in doing my daily vacuuming (requested by my PCO as a post-treatment), I come across all sorts of weird spots and bits that send me into BB-induced doubt. For ex., on two separate mornings, I found a different yellow-whitish shiny flat translucent thing on top of my bedsheet.
    I have uploaded pics of these two findings (pellets and translucent leave-behinds) in the hopes that one of the fine experts who frequent this site can ID them for me. I'm thinking the latter is a nymph shed skin? Hopefully just a croissant crumb (though I don't like croissants ).
    I also found what MAY be an egg under my living room rug, but it did not photograph well. It was very squishy/rubbery to the touch (could not be popped, instead rolled around like old gum), whitish, with a definite black "eyespot" at the top. Of course, it could have been a bit of caulking that had come loose from the baseboards, with a speck of dirt in it...

In any case, here is a link to my growing Flickr photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/montrealer450/

The 6 most recent photos are the ones in question, all with the shared title "Three translucent on-mattress "shed skins"? And 3 close-ups of tiny tan pellets taken from top of bookshelf."

Thanks for your help!

2. Canuck

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 22 2015 20:30:15
    #

Login to Send PM

As the pictures are too blurry when enlarged, I suggest an investment on a lighted magnifying glass. On the job we use the one from Lee Valley - you could pick it up or order it online: Lee Valley. With magnification you will be able to discern bits of dirt, debris, other insects, food, etc. and feel more confident. Sheree

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 7:39:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an egg. Wrong shape and color consistency.

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 7:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Not an egg. Wrong shape and color consistency.

If you take a pen knife to bedbug egg you can actually create a kind of 'popping' sound because of the shell.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 11:46:27
    #

Login to Send PM

If you take a pen knife to bedbug egg you can actually create a kind of 'popping' sound because of the shell.
    But if you looks at it, you will see its structure. Cover on one end unless it is off (nymph emerged) and then there is an opening there. Things with shell-like structures might also "pop". Best to use some type of magnifier or loupe.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. Montrealer2

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 23 2015 12:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, everyone. To clarify, I didn't post a pic of the "egg" because it was too blurry, but good to know that nothing set off any BB flags. And thanks BigDummy, Jim and Lou on the details of egg texture + structure. It's clear from your descriptions that what I found was not an egg. Phew!

I still wonder what that yellow/translucent "skin" was, as I continue to find one or two every morning, typically near the foot of the bed, plus an assortment of hard-black and/or brown/red detritus. Any guesses without photos?

Can't tell yet whether I continue to be bitten (latent reaction +old bites + hopefully weak nymphs on death's door), so these little things I find daily have me concerned, still.

Canuck, thank you so much for your input and the Lee Valley link. Does anyone know if this website has a direct link, as it does with The Allergy Guy, etc? I want to do what I can to help support this community of lifesavers that Nobugsonme has brought together.

Thanks gain, everyone. And Jim and Canuck, I've checked out your professional websites -- very interesting stuff you're doing...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123