Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Expert ID of a possible bed bug shell needed!

(6 posts)
  1. bedbugsDC

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 13:57:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out if we have bed bugs. On August 1st (so about 20 days ago) my girlfriend and I moved into a new apartment, and on the 1st, she got a series of bites that looked like they could be bed bug bites. We had an exterminator come to inspect, but she couldn't find any evidence of bed bugs, though she put down an initial spray to be on the safe side. Since then, my girlfriend hasn't had any further bites. We have, however, found what seem to clearly be several carpet beetle larvae. See here: http://i.imgur.com/EO5pwmT.png.

We were very confident we'd found the source of the problem, but then in doing cleaning today we found a shell that we are very concerned looks more like a bed bug shell. Here is a picture of it: http://i.imgur.com/LuMpRTM.png. There is no head and when we flip it over, there's not much of anything. I can't find a good picture online of the top of a bed bug shell isolated, so I was hoping someone could tell me here.

If it is a bed bug, given the fact that my girlfriend hasn't had any new bites in roughly two weeks, what would you suggest our next plan of action should be?

Many thanks for any help!

2. bedbugsDC

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 9:52:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Curious if folks have any thoughts -- thanks again!

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 9:55:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, carpet beetle larvae (a young one). Not shed skin of bed bug, but looks like the dried abdomen of an adult one.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. bedbugsDC

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 10:13:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for the feedback! So, just to clarify, the second picture here looks like the abdomen of an adult bed bug?

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 12:05:46
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugsDC - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thanks so much for the feedback! So, just to clarify, the second picture here looks like the abdomen of an adult bed bug?

Yes, that's what I wrote. Looks like an adult female bed bug abdomen. Was your phone/camera set on highest resolution and largest picture size?

6. bedbugsDC

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2016 13:00:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the further reply! I think it was on highest resolution and picture size.

What I'm confused about is that my girlfriend hasn't had what appear to be any new bites in 2+ weeks, and we haven't found any live bed bugs despite scouring our apartment. Just this abdomen and today we found what could have been the rest of that bug's carcass. But we haven't seen any other signs of bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,371 posts in 46,557 topics over 141 months by 20,533 of 21,396 members. Latest: jidhvs1, Darrellkking, jojo