Expert ID and Advice Needed [a: bed bug]

(15 posts)
  1. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 10:13:06
    #

Login to Send PM

We found a bed bug in my sons room at the beginning of September. Had a dog come and inspect the house in the middle of September and it found NOTHING. Last night, I found this guy on the floor in our upstairs bathroom. ID would be appreciated as well as any advice. Do we have the dog come back and re-inspect, where do I even start???? Last time I tore apart my sons room because that is where it was found, but with it being in the bathroom, I don't even know where to start No one has bites, haven't noticed anything suspicious..... I'm so frustrated and overwhelmed right now.

IMG_0606 by Gene Gray, on Flickr

2. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 10:14:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, correction, initial bug was found at the beginning of SEPTEMBER, not October. Just over a month ago.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 10:16:00
    #

Login to Send PM

It's definitely a bed bug or closely related species (bat or bird bugs). Do you have any birds or bats which have been nesting on, in, or very near the home?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 10:17:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Paranoid 80 - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry, correction, initial bug was found at the beginning of SEPTEMBER, not October. Just over a month ago.

I corrected that in your post. Note for future reference there's an edit link on the left under the date stamp-- I think it lasts for an hour after you post.

5. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 11:11:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I believe we do have birds nesting in our eaves at the front of our house. That is where both bugs were found as well. Both my sons room and the bathroom are at the front of the house. In terms of issues, would a bat / bird bug also take up residence in a human's bed and feed on them?

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 17:10:42
    #

Login to Send PM

They may move to humans. This can happen if the birds have gone or (I suppose) if there are too many bugs. Removing the birds/nest is an integral part of treatment in this case.

You'll want to be sure. If you can get a closer image or scan (from a flatbed scanner) or get a sample to a local entomologist (we can suggest some ways to find one) or to Lou here on the forums, you can get a definitive ID. Many pest techs can't tell the difference so you likely need an entomologist.

7. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 18:04:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I will try to get a scan and / or a closer image. Recommendations on a local entomologist would be greatly appreciated as well. I kept the bug I found last night. He is currently in a zip lock bag in my freezer.

8. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 18:23:33
    #

Login to Send PM

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 10 2016 19:43:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Let's see if Lou can ID the specific Cimex from that photo.

Meanwhile... I see you're in Canada. That's a little tricky because it seems like you don't have an equivalent to the cooperative extension services in the US.

You may ask a large pest control company in your city if they have an entomologist on call who can ID bird bugs.

You might call a local entomology department in a university as they will often have someone willing to help with this.

Or you might mail a sample to Lou if the ID can't be done by photo. (Which we should know soon.)

10. Paranoid 80

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 11 2016 17:40:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Still hoping Lou / another expert may be able to ID this bug as bat / bird bug vs. bed bug. No signs of bed bugs in any beds, no bites on anyone... I don't know where to go from here. Already had dog out to inspect when we found a bug at the beginning of September and we were clear, but now we've found another bug. ID would allow us to have better knowledge on how to proceed. Thanks!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Oct 11 2016 23:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hang tight.

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 3:18:01
    #

Login to Send PM

The pictures are a bit dark. I would call it a common bed bug. It doesn't have the hairy condition of the bat bugs in the genus Cimex and doesn't look like the other commonly encountered bird bugs. Since the common bed bug has general feeding tastes, it can be associated with birds, too.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 12 2016 22:55:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou!
    Should the bird nest be addressed as part of treatment in this case, if the bed bugs may be associated with the birds?

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Oct 13 2016 3:46:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 4 hours ago  » 
    Thanks, Lou!
    Should the bird nest be addressed as part of treatment in this case, if the bed bugs may be associated with the birds?

Bird nest should be removed but also examine the area for these bugs. Treatment can be performed in the area, too.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Oct 14 2016 0:54:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again, Lou!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19