Expert bug ID please

(5 posts)
  1. HighFive55

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Jun 29 2019 13:10:28
    #

Login to Send PM

My friends and I returned yesterday from spending 4 nights in hotels. We spent the first night in 1 hotel en route and 3 nights in the same hotel at our destination. My friend woke up on the first morning in our destination hotel with a line of 3 red itchy/burning bumps on the lower right side of the rib cage with 3 small pink bumps nearby in a triangle shape. These follow the nerve line, and we suspect they are either a flare up of the shingles virus or bedbug bites. I slept in the same bed and woke up itchy a couple of mornings but with no visible bites or unusual bumps. One of the other members in our party had a small red bump on the upper right of their back the last morning. We checked the beds upon arrival and each day after my friend’s mystery bumps appeared and did not see anything unusual on the mattress itself.

We bagged things and are taking precautions just in case. This morning, my friends found the bug in the attached images inside a cooler that was on a desk in the room with some of our luggage. There was an orange in the cooler that was starting to get moldy. Could one of the experts please review the photos to verify if the bug is a bedbug? Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Bug zoomed out by upallnight585, on Flickr

Bug Zoomed In by upallnight585, on Flickr

Bug 3 by upallnight585, on Flickr

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Jun 29 2019 16:24:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

109% not bedbugs.

They appear to be mites. If you search the forum for bird mites and avoid searching the web as there are some scary mite sites out there.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. HighFive55

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Jun 29 2019 18:31:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your time and help!

4. HighFive55

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Jun 30 2019 23:25:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Since the last post, I have found two more suspicious bugs in or around where items from the trip have been.

I found this bug (Bug 2) in the tub where clothes worn from the hotel to home were changed. Could an expert please share if you think it is a book louse or bedbug nymph or other? The black spec to the bottom right of the translucent bug is a piece of dirt.

Bug 2 zoomed in by upallnight585, on Flickr

Bug 2 zoomed out by upallnight585, on Flickr

The following bug (Bug 3) seems more suspicious to me. I was going though a bag that sat on the desk in our hotel room next to the cooler where the bug above was found. There is a hole in the middle segment and the back of the end segment looks cracked open. The head is curved downward and can be seen in the bottom view. Could an expert please share if you think this is a bedbug, bedbug cast skin, or something else? Thank you SO much!

Bug 3 bottom view by upallnight585, on Flickr

Bug 3 Top View by upallnight585, on Flickr

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Jul 1 2019 0:24:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bug 2 is booklouse.

Bug 3 is 100% not bedbugs and is actually unlikely to be insect material at all.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,318 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto