Expecting a shipment...?

(7 posts)
  1. Scar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 12:29:02
    #

Login to Send PM

All the FAQ talks about how to pack while ensuring bedbugs don't get into the boxes. How can I do the opposite of that? I'm expecting a huge shipment of pots, pans, some clothes, blankets etc from my old apartment that had bedbugs in the building. How do I unpack without letting the bedbugs infest my new home!?

So incredibly queasy! Help!

Btw -- The boxes were in my house for months. I shipped them on July 10th, and they should be arriving around September 30th. They're coming by the ocean (moved countries). What are the odds that they survived anyway (without food in the boxes obviously.)

2. Nemo

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 12:38:58
    #

Login to Send PM

What's you current situation? Do you have an apartment or detached home? Can you partially unpack outside or in a garage?

3. Scar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 13:04:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Will a driveway do? Mind you I live on the 7th floor no elevator

4. Magsno

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 13:07:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with Nemo, if you can unpack the boxes in a garage or shed - somewhere AWAY from your new home.

Put the clothing and bedding into plastic bags and keep them sealed until you can launder and tumble dry them at as high temperatures as possible.

Stay vigilant and inspect everything very carefully especially any books etc.

Good luck!

5. Scar

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 13:11:47
    #

Login to Send PM

What about blankets that won't fit into a washing machine?

6. Nemo

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 15:00:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Try a commercial dryer, they tend to be bigger than residential ones. The blankets don't need to be laundered, just tumble dried with high heat for 30 min.

7. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 19:25:38
    #

Login to Send PM

This is what I would do. If I could afford it, I would get one of those storage lockers. Put every box in a plastic bag and seal it so that any bugs won't migrate to other lockers. Then take them out one by one and do what needs to be done. If clothing, take to laundromat and wash - super dry. Other stuff...read the faq's on how to move it without taking hitchhikers.

Most importantly, I wouldn't take anything that I wasn't 100% sure of into my new residence. I would also put a light dust of DE around the inside perimeter of the locker so any stray bugs will have to walk through it to get out. And then mop it up after your done with the locker so it's clean for the next person.

If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure one of the experts on here will chime in, but it sounds like a plan that I would do.

S

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams