Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

Exit strategy....Please review and comment!!!!

(8 posts)
  1. goingmental

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 11:30:05
    #

Login to Send PM

With a week to go before closing on our first apartment, we found out we have bedbugs. Not only are we scared to move anything into the new place, but also we are becoming anti-social for fear of us giving it to someone. It's horrible.
    I guess it is an option to stay longer at our current place til our place and possessions are treated thoroughly. However, financially we just can't handle both mortgage and rent...plus repurchasing a lot of things that we have to replace.

Anyways, with the move a week away, we made some tough decisions and decided to ditch almost everything. Still a few questions linger....
    Here's our exit strategy. Can someone review and comment? Please?

notified the landlord and the neighbors. the place will be treated soon.

1) put the box spring where we found eggs in a mattress bag for now and vacuumed everywhere.

2) bag and launder all the clothing at high heat (we've been drying them in high heat for two hours...hope it suffices.)
    all the clean items we don't need immediately we are storing them in our car.

3) boil/steam/alcohol kitchen utensils and pots and put them in plastic containers. leave them on the roof deck till we move.

4) bag and chuck anything we can part with. spray paint a giant "BB" on them. - all wood furniture, some books, CDs, DVDs, our desktop PC, speakers, printer, scanner and possibly TV that have been sitting right next to the furniture that had bugs. and a lot more

5) take the dog to the groomer right before bringing him into the new place.

6) bake the shoes and steam coats whenever we come back home and store them in ziploc

7) freeze super necessary documents and books for two weeks and take them to the new place

put things we can't part with including leather items and art works into ziploc bags with DE and store for 18 months...or more if possible or at least til it's warm enough to take them to be vikaned.

We feel pretty confident about 1)-8) but we are not sure about the following.

9) steam, alcohol and spray metal table legs and old school chairs made of metal and 1/4" thin plywood seat

10) ditch all the plants which breaks my heart - is there any sure-fire way to treat them? I'd at least like to see them find a new home but I can't with good conscience let anyone risk getting anything from us. how about starting a terrarium?

11) take my macbook pro to tekserve and get it cleaned. will this be enough? even though i'm pretty sure these bugs can't survive how hot my computer gets. we just can't take any risks with our new place. us getting it again is one thing is to face the co-op board is another.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 11:34:08
    #

Login to Send PM

How are you planning on ensuring that the problem is not left in the property for the next person to move into?

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. goingmental

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 12:25:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess we can't really ensure anything.
    We are paying an extra month's rent to leave the apartment empty while it's getting treated since our lease doesn't expire til the end of may. Once everything's moved/thrown out and the apartment is treated (at least twice I assume), we are hoping it will be safe. I don't know which PCO our management plans on hiring but we hope they hire a good one.
    We will get it inspected in a month and see how it goes. We can't really subet if it's still infested after the treatment nor will our landlord be likely to let us out of the lease early.
    But we really hope this works.

4. goingmental

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 12:27:14
    #

Login to Send PM

In the meantime, if you have any comments on our exit strategy, we will really appreciate it! =)

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 12:29:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you are planning on treating an empty property I can confirm it will not work. The best case scenario is that it would leave bed bugs for the new occupant only. Worst case scenario it will infect the adjoining neighbours.

I would respectfully suggest that you read the FAQ's on treatment and how things work and then plan an exit once the issue is resolved.

David

PS will comment when I know the original infestation is being dealt with correctly.

6. goingmental

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 20:27:49
    #

Login to Send PM

we did read the FAQs and made the decision.
    the pco is coming tomorrow to treat the place. and we are staying here til the end of the week. what we are not sure about is how long we have to stay here and be baits to make the treatment work.

7. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jan 27 2009 23:55:48
    #

Login to Send PM

till the infestation is clear.

David

8. goingmental

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jan 28 2009 1:16:22
    #

Login to Send PM

we are just trying to figure out a way to carry on with our move that's been planned on for the past year without hurting anyone.
    hopefully our pco will be able to help us come up with a solution for our paticular situation that involves neither offering ourselves up for indeterminate amount of time nor infesting the rest of the building.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081