Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Existential crisis

(4 posts)
  1. PhobiaOfBugs

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Sun Jan 13 2019 2:45:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, this is my first post here. I've recently learned that I have bb's after a having an exterminator come to my apartment to verify.. What spurred me into action was when I fell asleep sitting up on my futon a couple weeks ago and woke up with 4 of these things crawling on me. I'd never seen this kind of bug before...and having a tremendous phobia of most insects...I freaked out and did some searching for images online and found the unfortunate match in a bb (sorry I don't like typing the name out).

So the exterminator did a treatment the same day he came in (Friday, Jan. 4, 2019) to confirm what they were. He said it didn't look like a big problem after only finding a few underneath the boxspring on my bed and then locating a few eggs on hidden inside the edge of the futon (where he thinks they originated). He said if it was bad I would probably see them crawling on the wall or even the ceiling.

Anyway, I have an unfortunate crippling phobia of these things. I nearly passed out when I spotted one on my futon earlier tonight. I cannot bring myself to sleep in my bed & have been sleeping on the floor of my bathroom instead. At this point, I'm completely ready & willing to get rid of *everything* I own and move out. It's incredibly debilitating for me and of the few people I can talk to about this (family members), my sister is the only one who understands how I'm feeling. She says she would want to do the same thing.

I guess the point of my post is to ask whether it's possible to do just that....to get rid of everything I own and move out of my apartment. I know I won't regret getting rid of it if I can just move on from this nightmare I'm in.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 days ago
    Sun Jan 13 2019 3:47:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No its not advisable to ditch things and start again or move because the reality is that you have already brought bedbugs into your home, without stopping to resolve the issue of introduction you are doomed to repeat that mistake again.

You need to stop and read the FAQs so you can start getting this right and that means moving back into your bed.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. SalsaVince

Posted 4 days ago
    Sun Jan 13 2019 16:54:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum. You will see a lot of experiences on here of people who are terrified of "bb's" (I'll follow your convention for you). In fact, I remember someone else recently who preferred to call them "ladybugs" so they could make them less intimidating. It sounds like your phobia is stronger than most but like all phobias, it can be overcome with practice. You can just run away from them but like David said, that doesn't guarantee that you will really be done with them. You may get the again the from the same source. Or, you may encounter them down the road again from somewhere else. It's getting to the point that almost everyone in the world has had an experience or at least knows someone who has had bb's so you're going to have to face this fear eventually. Perhaps you can ask yourself what is the worst that can happen from them to figure out what really scares you about them. Is it getting bit, being itchy? Or fear of the unknown?
    You are getting professional help with eradicating them and they've already told you that it's not a severe case so you should be able to beat them quickly. However, if you continue to sleep in the bathroom, you're making the treatments less effective. You're drawing the bugs to a different place than they currently are at so you could be making things worse. You've got to sleep where you normally do. I know that it is scary, but you can do it. And afterward, you will be a stronger person and be better prepared to handle other challenges in life.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 days ago
    Sun Jan 13 2019 23:34:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have a lot to add to what's been said, but try to stay calm. You can get through this. Try to think of them as mosquitos if that helps alleviate some of your anxiety. (Mosquitos are, in fact, much more dangerous.)

Some here have found treatment for anxiety or phobias helpful.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

283,867 posts in 47,243 topics over 145 months by 20,836 of 21,126 members. Latest: pinkfoxes, Tomwilson28, aeb19