Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Escaping infested building. How best to leave the infestation behind?

(7 posts)
  1. fightingthefight

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Nov 24 2018 11:47:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been having a bed bug problem which is not responding to treatment. I still find the occasional bug in the traps under the bed (I never saw a lot of bugs during this infestation), and I get bitten from time to time. I'm fairly sure the problem is somewhere else in the apartment building, but local laws, the attitude of the landlord and the personalities of my neighbours don't give me much option for resolving the problem. So I need to move.

My question is: How best can I get to a situation where I am in a new apartment without bed bugs? Any treatment I do in my current apartment is likely to be incomplete because new bugs keep coming in from outside. Do I just move without getting another treatment first and then get a treatment in the new place as soon as I move in? Will such a treatment be less effective because all my stuff will either be packed or just unpacked to new places?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Nov 24 2018 12:10:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Pictures of the bugs you're finding?

3. fightingthefight

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sat Nov 24 2018 13:10:56
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 58 minutes ago  » 
    Pictures of the bugs you're finding?

I did capture a couple of the bugs in pieces of sticky tape and I showed them to the pest controller, who seemed satisfied that they were indeed bed bugs. I haven't got any clear photos because my phone camera doesn't do macro very well.

4. bitemeanddie

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Dec 2 2018 16:25:52
    #

Login to Send PM

IF you move wash, steam, and heat all objects.

5. fightingthefight

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Dec 3 2018 4:58:16
    #

Login to Send PM

bitemeanddie - 12 hours ago  » 
    IF you move wash, steam, and heat all objects.

I don't see how that's practical, at least not without a large dedicated heat chamber at a third location. There are too many things that can't be washed or steamed, and what is to prevent bugs settling in the cardboard of the moving boxes once I've sterilised and packed?

6. jimmyjo

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Dec 4 2018 13:51:51
    #

Login to Send PM

how about heating just before leaving? heat, pack, leave?

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Dec 4 2018 14:46:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Self-treating while moving leaves too many variables, as you've noted. There are treatments available where everything is loaded into a van and all of it is treated at the same time, but that option is not available in every town. You'll have to call around and see if there's someone close to you that's willing to do the job.
    If you suspect that the bed bugs are coming from somewhere within your building you are correct in thinking that the treatment should take place away from that building. You may want to speak with a local PCO about treating your belongings in the new apartment and figure out a plan where you can have everything moved in quickly and immediately treated. I would first see if a mobile treatment is available in your area.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

289,775 posts in 48,424 topics over 150 months by 21,317 of 21,693 members. Latest: Dingo50, annastl, jeezlouise