eradication

(10 posts)
  1. agitha

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 19 2013 21:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

So here I am . I discovered I had bed bugs by the bloodstains.Found out I had them and immediatley bleached my mattress with my carpet shampooer killing hundreds. My infestation IS NOT ANYWHERE NEAR AS BAD AS 99% of the pictures ive seen.Any way after that I spread D.E. around my room,took apart the bedframe and moved it 100 yards from my house.Now I have my Matress on the floor with industrial strength double sided tape wrapped all arond the side of the bedsheet .D.E. is on me entire floor. (in a powder not clumps).Am I on the right track? I mean it seems to me that they are either 1 drop from the ceiling, feed and then get trapped on the way down. Or 2 get stuck on the way up to feed. I mean this is some serious tape. It seems to me with some patience this tactic is fool proof. Any one out there had any luck doin it like this.Any advice? Eventually ive got to catch the LAST one right.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 0:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like you may be overapplying DE. It's meant to be used in cracks and crevices only. Please see our DE FAQ.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. agitha

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 11:18:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I will mop when I get home. Ive got hardwood floors in my room so ill be sure to try and dustmop the powder into where the floor meets the base board.I was just trin to make sure they gotta crawl through it to get to me.Another thing is just when i feel confident im winning I read some discouraging post from somehere. ill keep my head up and read that F.A.Q. right now

4. Tryn2Cope

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 11:58:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I put DE between baseboard and walls, did a very light dusting on floor (carpet) and then vacuumed after a few days. The DE is great! Its been 6 weeks of professional treatments, DE, climb ups, CO2 traps, double sticky tape and no bugs the last 5 days!
    Diligence and time. I've been dedicated to my house as in vacuuming everyday... floor AND ceiling. (Hubby does ceiling) That alone is a big must. They crawl wherever they need to to get a meal. You know if they have been in the DE cuz they are hard and crunchy when you smash them. If they're not already dead.
    We also got rid of the bed, box spring and bedding. I had a major freakout when we first found them. I would still get rid of it...easier to fight them and not worry that I'm still sleeping with them, zipped up in my mattress. We are now sleeping on a double mattress air bed on the frame. I refuse to get a new bed until I'm 6 months of seeing nothing.
    Its a battle, a drain on the wallet and the psyche.
    You can win the battle tho. I'm pretty sure we have. But....pretty sure isn't 100% yet. lol ; )
    Blessings and best of luck!

5. Tryn2Cope

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 12:16:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh...I also put DE in electrical outlets too. Took covers off and lightly dusted it with my paint brush. Along with the back of all my pictures on the walls.
    I used a fluffy paint roller to do a very light dusting on the ceiling. Jeff White at Rutger had never heard of this before but said that it could not hurt. Just be sure you vacuum it very well before you spend any time in there.
    My hubby vacuumed the ceiling a few times. We have a rainbow vacuum cleaner only a few years old... awesome suction and you can see the little buggers floating on the water. All sizes from nymph to adults.
    Again.... best to you!

6. Nemo

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 12:34:00
    #

Login to Send PM

If you go the ceiling dusting route I'd do it sparingly and wear eye protection. I can imagine it falls in your eyes when you look up while applying it, and you don't want it snowing later.

7. agitha

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Sep 20 2013 22:10:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Just read some forums today that double sided tape is mostly innefective as the bugs seem to crawl right through it. Well the stuff I am using is no ordinary double sided tape. It is made by Arclad adhesives research. Its a splicing tape . The side that goes to the sheet or whatever you attach it to is like scotch tape.BUT the side exposed is like a glue strip. Ive been catching them with it and 80% of the ones Im catching are transparent.Which I take are the ones that are hungry.So even if they do get a meal from me their not going to enjoy it for very long
    .The worst thing for me to think about is spreading these creatures from hell to my freinds and family.I take all the precautions not to spead them I have lived in some very unhospitable enviroments with NO bedbugs.This is the cleanest best maintained residence i have ever lived in and now i have this plauge.UGHHH.The D.E. is great. Its easy to get discouraged from the negative post from people who say resistance is futile.Il never quit

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Sep 21 2013 0:46:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Tryn wrote,

I put DE between baseboard and walls, did a very light dusting on floor (carpet) and then vacuumed after a few days.

I'm, curious -- if you applied DE correctly, why did you vacuum it up? It can only work if it's down and three days is not a very long time, since bed bugs have to crawl across it to die. DE doesn't have to be removed and reapplied, in fact, vacuuming it up can harm vacuums so you want to do this sparingly.

(Note, I'm not an expert, I've just been hanging out here for seven years.)

9. Tryn2Cope

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 23 2013 12:43:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I vacuum it up every 3 days to get the dead or dying bed bugs from the PREVIOUS dusting. It doesn't bother our vacuum cleaner. We have a rainbow and its truly worth the money. They use them in hospitals and cancer treatment centers. They are "crazy wonderful" vacuums... cost, 2,200.00 We got it a few years back never thinking we would be vacuuming up bugs! The DE doesn't bother it because of the type of vacuum it is, what it was made to do. We can see the bugs in the water basin of the vacuum. Its great to see and get an idea of your progress.
    Dusting of the ceiling was a very light dusting with goggles on. I used my motorcycle rain gear goggles, worked great!
    I have learned more than I've wanted to about these buggers off these forums. Expert or not....you all are truly appreciated and awesome to be here to help us. ; ) I "was" going crazy insane, freaking out until I found your forum.
    Again I thank you all!

10. Tryn2Cope

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Sep 23 2013 12:47:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I vacuum every other day, not 3 days, faithfully! We just got back Sunday morning from deer hunting, no bugs last night. Its been just over a week and no bugs!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081