Epidemic 2014

(23 posts)
  1. JW

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 12:47:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I am a first time sufferer from this affliction. I've spent the last week since being diagnosed poring over this site and others and I look back at the beginning posts and it seems that absolutely no progress has been made in either treatment or prevention. I see no large campaigns or ads that address the situation. I live in a rural area where this is ALWAYS swept under the carpet. I have done nothing wrong and am supposed to hide and act ashamed? Where is our government now? They are there to tell me how I proceed with every other aspect of my life! Where are the free bed bug detection kits being handed out in our schools? Where are the celebrities doing public service announcements to make us feel better? Where are the brave souls who step forward and tell us they too have had this problem and we are not to blame?! I want answers and I am writing my congressman to get some! Because after just one week, I refuse to live like this! It's BS!

2. outsmartbb

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 13:02:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm totally with you here. Entomologists agree that, if no new methods of treatment which are better than what's currently available don't come to market, that apartment owners in big cities will find that the cost of extermination will increase so much, that it won't be worthwhile to own that property any longer.

I'm currently in the process of working with an electrical engineer as well as an inventor in coming up with a better method.

In the meanwhile, I am finding that putting smooth shipping plastic tape on the ceiling around the perimeter of my bedroom (and every other room in my home) keeps the bed bugs from climbing up the wall, across the ceiling, and dropping down on to me as I sleep. This is in tandem with the ClimbUp interceptors. The ClimbUp interceptors keep bed bugs from getting on to the bed, but it doesn't kill them. In fact, it repels them because they don't like the color white (as found by a study done by Rutgers University's Entomology Dept). They had to spray paint the outer part of the interceptor black before the bed bugs would climb inside it.

I currently have soapy water in tupperware under my bed legs via following these instructions. http://cchealth.org/bedbugs/pdf/How-to-Make-a-Furniture-Leg-Bed-Bug-Trap.pdf Except I haven't put the masking tape on the outside of the tupperware to allow the bugs to climb the smooth plastic tupperware by way of using the non-smooth masking tape. Nor did I look this morning inside the soapy water to see if any bed bugs drowned. Others have had success with this method, but not complete success. I did not get bit last night with this method. Before setting it up, I sprayed my metal bedframe down with Steri-Fab and then followed up with 91% rubbing alcohol. Those are both contact killers, though Steri-Fab is more effective. I did both for more effectiveness. And I have a plastic inflatable pool lounger on top of my bedframe, to dissuade bed bugs from climbing on that, as they don't like plastic. They can still get to me though without my having put the plastic tape on the ceiling, even though I had interceptors on the bed legs. They drop from ceiling unless you intercept the ceiling too.

I will PM you, and let's talk to come up with solutions together based on experiences.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 13:03:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi JW,

I have been asking for public education and awareness since 2006.

I have been a media talking head since 2007, I have actually spoken with a US congressman and tried to get groups to have a coordinated education drive and I have started many myself.

Sadly it will take voters lobbying at a grass roots level to make people realize that enough is enough.

If I can be of help with resources please let me know, I already have programs for educating care works, medical professionals and I know a number of my newsletters are shared in the education system in the UK but mainly when the school take the children on a trip.

Let me know if I can help.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 13:27:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Outsmartbb

The ClimbUp interceptors keep bed bugs from getting on to the bed, but it doesn't kill them. In fact, it repels them because they don't like the color white (as found by a study done by Rutgers University's Entomology Dept). They had to spray paint the outer part of the interceptor black before the bed bugs would climb inside it.

I don't think this is true at all. The Climb-Ups have been around for years and have been working. Red and black could be more attractive, but the light colored ones didn't repel bugs since bugs were collected from them.

Before setting it up, I sprayed my metal bedframe down with Steri-Fab and then followed up with 91% rubbing alcohol. Those are both contact killers, though Steri-Fab is more effective. I did both for more effectiveness.

I really don't understand your reasoning to be more effective. One Steri-Fab component is alcohol. If you kill the bugs with one product, you can't kill them again with another.

JW
    I have been speaking to the public, pest control professionals, medical community, attorneys for over 25 years on many subjects including bed bugs, their biology and natural history, management techniques, and the like. So there are many of us on this site, too, who can offer assistance. There has been much progress over all these years, but sometimes it seems to just stagnate.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. Distressed in NJ

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 14:21:15
    #

Login to Send PM

JW

newbite

Posted 1 hour ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 13:47:11
    #

PM This User
    Flag Post for Moderation
    I am a first time sufferer from this affliction. I've spent the last week since being diagnosed poring over this site and others and I look back at the beginning posts and it seems that absolutely no progress has been made in either treatment or prevention. I see no large campaigns or ads that address the situation. I live in a rural area where this is ALWAYS swept under the carpet. I have done nothing wrong and am supposed to hide and act ashamed? Where is our government now? They are there to tell me how I proceed with every other aspect of my life! Where are the free bed bug detection kits being handed out in our schools? Where are the celebrities doing public service announcements to make us feel better? Where are the brave souls who step forward and tell us they too have had this problem and we are not to blame?! I want answers and I am writing my congressman to get some! Because after just one week, I refuse to live like this! It's BS!

Amen to all of this. It's outrageous that people have to live like this, spend thousands and still their BB problem persists. Indeed the government intrudes in practically every other aspect of our lives, including telling us what to eat and drink. We don't need a crusade against soda and salt. We need something done about the truly serious public health menace of bed bugs. I can manage my own diet just fine, but I could use help with bb' s.

6. Distressed in NJ

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 15:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm afraid the problem will have to get much worse, spread to millions more before anything significant is done.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 15:59:03
    #

Login to Send PM

A number of us on the forums started a group called NY vs. Bed Bugs, which worked to get a bed bug task force for NYC. He campaign was successful in doing so. Changes were made to city policy as a result.

There are currently bed bug task forces in other cities and counties too, which are trying to address the situation locally.

Legislation has been passed in many places related to bed bugs, much of it helpful.

Much more should be done, but grassroots work can lead to change. The key is to get real experts involved (in terms of deciding what to lobby for). There are good and bad ideas and sometimes the government gets involved in ways which don't help or even make things harder for consumers.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 16:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

And just to add, progress has been made in terms of treatment and prevention.

This site has been going since 2006, when many PMPs were not experienced with this problem. Most are much more knowledgeable now. We also have better tools (eg bed bug monitors-- when the site started, the only option was glue boards), and more research being done in universities, much of it quite practical.

So I am not saying getting bed bugs is easy, but it is doable and in some ways easier now than eight years ago.

9. JW

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 17:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

In the short time I've been on here I see this is a great community of people trying to help each other. I'm sure that there has been strides in areas of exterminating and some education due to media coverage in larger cities. But a common thread among everyone afflicted is depression and feelings of hopelessness and fear of someone finding out. That has not lessened at all. I've looked in my area for support groups and have seen none.

10. outsmartbb

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 18:04:21
    #

Login to Send PM

JW, fyi, I sent you a private message on this site of things which I found helpful (albeit not 100% successful extermination yet) that I hope helps you too.

You can see it at http://bedbugger.com/forum/pm.php

It would be helpful for this site to add an email alert when a private message arrives, like one can get an email alert when a reply is made to the forum post.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2014 23:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

PM is listed in right column by telling you how many messages are waiting for you. Tells you how many you have. People have to fill in the subject line otherwise you will never see the message and it will stay forever.

12. JW

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 6:28:30
    #

Login to Send PM

We are just about 48 hours post 1st chemical treatment. I trust our PMP. The company has been around for a very long time and the man we are dealing with has 33 years of experience. He doesn't BS us about our problem. He tells us that they will do 3 treatments 2 weeks apart. He gave us his cell number and we call or text him with our questions. We have not seen even one bed bug outside the master bedroom. PMP said odd but not unheard of. This morning master bedroom had two small ones on the wall that seemed lethargic. I am not getting my hopes up but it seems like a good sign. We are not afraid to ask our PMP lots of questions. When we were preparing, we wanted to make sure that we did it right so he could do it right. He appreciated that. When they came to do the first treatment he said we did an excellent job prepping. I've been reading that there are a lot of companies that are not reputable and not doing good jobs or are ripping people off when they are at their most desperate. There will be a special place in hell for those people where they will be forced to live with every bed bug they promised to eradicate!

JW

13. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 6:34:28
    #

Login to Send PM

As an educator, I would love to tell my colleagues about the preventative measures that can be taken - many of our students have BBs but can't afford treatment - I am about 50%/50% that I got them at work or at a hotel (one night stay). I would hate for any of my colleagues to have to go through this...HOWEVER the stigma is just too much for me to handle. I wish I had the cajones to stand up in front of the faculty and tell my story.

Maybe someday...

14. JW

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 7:31:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Suzanne - 49 minutes ago  » 
    As an educator, I would love to tell my colleagues about the preventative measures that can be taken - many of our students have BBs but can't afford treatment - I am about 50%/50% that I got them at work or at a hotel (one night stay). I would hate for any of my colleagues to have to go through this...HOWEVER the stigma is just too much for me to handle. I wish I had the cajones to stand up in front of the faculty and tell my story.
    Maybe someday...

I hear you. That is the awful thing about this whole ordeal we go through. It has to be brought out into the mainstream. Like you, I don't know if I'm brave enough to do it. But the sad fact is we did nothing wrong and we have to hide in shame and isolate ourselves. And I cannot find one support group listed in my area and I can't think of any other affliction that makes a person as isolated as having bed bugs does.

JW

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 11:09:09
    #

Login to Send PM

JW - 17 hours ago  » 
    In the short time I've been on here I see this is a great community of people trying to help each other. I'm sure that there has been strides in areas of exterminating and some education due to media coverage in larger cities. But a common thread among everyone afflicted is depression and feelings of hopelessness and fear of someone finding out. That has not lessened at all. I've looked in my area for support groups and have seen none.

Hi JW,
    I totally agree much more should be done.

I know of a therapist who has considered doing an online support group for bed bugs (both since it might be hard finding enough people in a given area, not to mention the fact that people with bed bugs may be concerned about going to a room with a bunch of other people with bed bugs).

It seems like a great idea if health insurance is accepted. Most people with bed bugs don't have extra cash to burn.

I do think things are slowly improving in terms of the secrecy issue. Here in NYC, people don't volunteer the information that they have bed bugs. But one someone broaches the topic (and, okay, I will admit I do this -- a lot), everyone starts coming out of the closet in terms of when they had them, how long it took to treat, etc. The fear is still there but it's important to talk about the issue so people realize how common it is and so good information spreads.

16. JW

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 11:49:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Is there a thread on here about success stories? I think we need to see and hear more of those. (Even if they are old)Sometimes when I look at the threads and all the instances of re-occurences I get down and feel hopeless about my own situation. Maybe we can diplay our bug free days like AA when they give their pins for being sober so many months and years. It would give me hope!

JW

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 11:54:48
    #

Login to Send PM

JW - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Is there a thread on here about success stories? I think we need to see and hear more of those. (Even if they are old)Sometimes when I look at the threads and all the instances of re-occurences I get down and feel hopeless about my own situation. Maybe we can diplay our bug free days like AA when they give their pins for being sober so many months and years. It would give me hope!
    JW

There are hundreds of success stories here, JW.

Note that MOST of the successes aren't recorded, because people solve their problems but want to wait a while to come back and declare success and then they forget to do this. They're enjoying life and bed bugs and this website are the last thing on their mind. I know this because we hear from people all the time who will email me about successes, but won't write a success post because they're not ready. We even have people who give advice here regularly who sometimes have not written a success post.

18. JW

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 12:08:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 4 minutes ago  » 

JW - 2 minutes ago  » 
    JW

There are hundreds of success stories here, JW.
    Note that MOST of the successes aren't recorded, because people solve their problems but want to wait a while to come back and declare success and then they forget to do this. They're enjoying life and bed bugs and this website are the last thing on their mind. I know this because we hear from people all the time who will email me about successes, but won't write a success post because they're not ready. We even have people who give advice here regularly who sometimes have not written a success post.

Ok...I promise that when we beat the bed bugs I will come back here and post about it! But i do understand that they want to be sure they are free and clear. Makes me think of the quote "Free at last...Thank God Almighty we are free at last." Martin Luther King

19. Suzanne

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 12:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

There had been a Survivors' Calendar idea bandies about for a while.

I am a success case (although somedays I have a hard time believing it as I still look and inspect and jump on anyone in my family who has a mosquito bite). I was treated last august so I am coming up on a year.

It has changed our habits as a family, but it can be done. Try to search success stories (there definitely on here!).

Good luck!

20. JW

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 21:25:55
    #

Login to Send PM

My fiancé went into the master bedroom tonight for about a half hour to draw them out. About 20 came out, all small ones some acting lethargic some normal. I guess 1st treatment didn't do too much. Now we have to wait two weeks to get our 2nd spray. Not feeling very hopeful. I used to love night and bedtime...I always used to say it was the best time of the day. Now I hate it.

JW

21. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2014 21:35:54
    #

Login to Send PM

JW,
    You will get through this. It should get better with each treatment.
    When was your first treatment? What was used?

22. JW

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 7:18:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 9 hours ago  » 
    JW,

Our first treatment was this past Wed almost 72 hours ago. They didn't tell us what chemical they were using, I will find out

23. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2014 12:00:30
    #

Login to Send PM

JW - 4 hours ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 9 hours ago  » 
    JW,

Our first treatment was this past Wed almost 72 hours ago. They didn't tell us what chemical they were using, I will find out

That's a good idea.

It's likely to be at least a residual spray and a dust. And in both cases, bed bugs have to walk across it to die. PCOs should also be killing bed bugs they saw, on contact, but he problem is likely to improve further between now and your 2-week follow-up.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur