Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Entomologist Question

(7 posts)
  1. rca

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 19:57:09
    #

Login to Send PM

For any entomologists that are here - I read that nymphs will die off if they have no food supply for 14 days. Is this true? I could easily stay out of my house & cut off their blood supply. Is there also a life limit for adults with no 'food supply'.

2. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat Apr 14 2018 2:11:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an entomologist, but I've read many different answers regarding this question - most of which suggest adult bed bugs can stay alive for several months without a meal, though it's hard to find an exact number. This article explains why there are so many varying answers. https://www.bedbugcentral.com/blog/how-long-can-bed-bugs-live-without-food - unfortunately, the answer is not very promising.

Trying to starve the bed bugs doesn't seem like the recommended route.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 15:21:25
    #

Login to Send PM

LittleRin - 2 days ago  » 
    I am not an entomologist, but I've read many different answers regarding this question - most of which suggest adult bed bugs can stay alive for several months without a meal, though it's hard to find an exact number. This article explains why there are so many varying answers. https://www.bedbugcentral.com/blog/how-long-can-bed-bugs-live-without-food - unfortunately, the answer is not very promising.
    Trying to starve the bed bugs doesn't seem like the recommended route.

Correct. Starving them isn't the way to control them.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 15:23:07
    #

Login to Send PM

rca - 2 days ago  » 
    For any entomologists that are here - I read that nymphs will die off if they have no food supply for 14 days. Is this true? I could easily stay out of my house & cut off their blood supply. Is there also a life limit for adults with no 'food supply'.

14 days is nothing to them if at room temps. I rear them at mid to upper 60s and they last months between feedings. Sometimes they act like they're feeding and seem to forget what they are doing. Maybe these are senile ones. Most often they feed right away, but sometimes a very hungry (flat) one will crawl around and not feed. It acts overexcited.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 16:56:16
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been a few years, but if I recall correctly my freshly hatched, unfed nymphs lasted six to eight weeks without an issue.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 17:18:52
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 21 minutes ago  » 
    It's been a few years, but if I recall correctly my freshly hatched, unfed nymphs lasted six to eight weeks without an issue.

Yes, agree, most have enough energy from egg yolk to wait for its blood meal.

7. rca

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Apr 17 2018 10:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 18 hours ago
    14 days is nothing to them if at room temps. I rear them at mid to upper 60s and they last months between feedings.

Thank You for responding.
    I have a living situation coming up where I will be out of my home for a year. Right now, the place I am living in has evolved into a large 2 story storage area. Long story of sad circumstances. The reason I asked the question is because if I have to completely 'declutter', I would have to throw out generations of photos and family articles. Heartbreaking. But, I am sure I am not alone.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,122 posts in 45,452 topics over 138 months by 19,969 of 20,732 members. Latest: Ganonthecannon, Cass2369, Oceanside06