Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

Enemy sighted

(16 posts)
  1. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 11 2011 16:42:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been on here a few days, because we got bites but hadn't seen any bugs, exuviae, or obvious fecal bloodstains. We encased the mattress and foundation, ordered ClimbUps (which haven't arrived yet), and let the kids sleep with us so there's only one place with bait at night. I also cleared the storage boxes from under the bed, and put some new "clutter" made of white posterboard under there.

Today, I bagged a bug. It wasn't in the posterboard stuff. It was just sitting there on the wall. I called the building super, and a PCO will be coming by probably on Monday or Tuesday. I also improvised some ClimbUp-style barriers out of cottage cheese and sour cream containers, with the inner surface of the cottage cheese container and both surfaces of sour cream container dusted with talcum powder, and paper towel taped to the outside of the cottage cheese container. Even if it turns out to traps them as well as a ClimbUp, it's not as good because it's hard to see down into the space between the two containers to check for bugs. But it's here now, and the ClimbUp isn't.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Mar 11 2011 17:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry you definitely have bed bugs, but at least knowing for sure is something.

I also improvised some ClimbUp-style barriers out of cottage cheese and sour cream containers, with the inner surface of the cottage cheese container and both surfaces of sour cream container dusted with talcum powder, and paper towel taped to the outside of the cottage cheese container.

It sounds like you put talc on the inside AND outside of the sour cream container. Is that right? The talc makes ClimbUps slippery. Talc-ing the outside means they can't climb in from outside.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 12 2011 0:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, the sour cream container is coated with talc on both surfaces. The sour cream container is on the inside. The outermost surface is the outside of the cottage cheese container, and it's covered with paper towel to make sure they can climb it. The idea is to catch them between two talc-coated surfaces, i.e. the inside of the cottage cheese container and the outside of the sour cream container. If they're already in the bed, and trying to get out so they can find other places to disperse to, I care more about finding out than about having them get trapped. I suppose ideally I would have had three containers, so that inbound bugs would get trapped between outer and middle while outbound bugs got trapped between inner and middle. But I don't have suitable containers. With fresh encasements I expect to have all inbound, but if we let a blanket reach the floor and they climb up it, they'll probably climb back down it too, so it won't matter what the setup is for outbound bugs.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 12 2011 1:53:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yes, the sour cream container is coated with talc on both surfaces. The sour cream container is on the inside. The outermost surface is the outside of the cottage cheese container, and it's covered with paper towel to make sure they can climb it. The idea is to catch them between two talc-coated surfaces, i.e. the inside of the cottage cheese container and the outside of the sour cream container.

I understand now. I had misunderstood that you were using the sour cream container on its own.

5. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 15 2011 12:12:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I spotted an egg on the sofa. It looked like nothing else I've ever seen in person, but exactly like the pictures.

6. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 15 2011 17:30:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I continued searching the sofa, and found a couple exuviae but no live bugs and no more eggs. The exuviae looked smaller than the bug I found the other day, but not much smaller, maybe third or fourth instar. They were in different places. So much for the idea that low humidity makes the bugs clump together.

7. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Mar 17 2011 11:15:58
    #

Login to Send PM

What I still haven't seen is any nymphs. How can I find an egg but no nymphs, even after it's been long enough since the first bites for eggs to have hatched? Eggs are easier to see, but nymphs last longer and therefore should be more numerous.

We are still keeping the humidity low. (We're the people from the low humidity topic.) Maybe when the humidity is low they don't lay as many eggs, mostly just stay quiescent and wait for better weather. On that idea, there would be rather few eggs and rather few nymphs, and it would partly be coincidence that I found one rather than the other. I like that better than the idea that I'm just not searching well enough to see anything that isn't either huge or bright white. Of course, my favorite possibility is that the nymphs have been dying in the low humidity in less time than it takes an egg to hatch, so that there aren't as many nymphs as eggs.

8. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 22 2011 0:02:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Another new bite on one of the kids. Actually it's two bites close together, but I'm guessing the two of them represent only one feeding by one bug.

The exterminator said CedarCide evaporates quickly. Three days later, things are still oily anywhere the air doesn't circulate much. No wonder it has some residual effect: it's got to be like walking across a dish of oil for the little beasties.

Spackle is therapeutic. Even though I suspect that any particular crack would have been unlikely ever to have hidden a bedbug anyway, it's a tangible improvement in the appearance of the apartment. Where clutter reduction, vacuuming, and searching for bugs are treadmill chores that just have to be done again the next day, spackle is cumulative.

Tomorrow, the sofa encasements are due to arrive. Tomorrow morning is also trash pickup, so I took the useless corner section of the sofa/corner thingy / pair of recliners to the curb.

9. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 29 2011 6:07:12
    #

Login to Send PM

The only bedbug I've seen lately is the one I caught on the day we encased the sofas, that I've been keeping in a baggie inside a plastic screw-top container and taking out to take pictures of.

Trash day again. Last night I threw out some stuff I had kept too long, planning to give away and never getting around to it. Most notably there was a double stroller that we used a lot -- enough to wear out a pair of tires and put noticeable wear on the replacements. The risk of a long-term-survivor bedbug hiding in it would have been truly small, but we weren't willing to subject someone to it.

10. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2011 22:39:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Just started inspecting the folds of the sofa encasement.

If I were trying to manufacture medical devices or computer chips in this room, it would be an absolute failure. "Clean room" it ain't.

11. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 9:57:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Tomorrow the landlord's exterminator comes for the third round of useless fogging. It's been a while since I found a bug, but my wife is still getting new bites.

12. crazyindenver

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Apr 28 2011 14:06:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh no! NOT FOGGING! Please don't fog..I learned the hard way. You can see my posts under crazyindenver and read what Nobugsonme, and KQ, David and Cilecto had said about it. I am afraid it has made my situation worse...hense my most recent post (very lengthy) late last night.

I'm the " $3,000 still in tears ...."post. However, now I'm at about 4K when all the incidentals are added up. Just like many people on this forum.

Good luck. P.S. the Michigan website that is referred to on my thread is excellent. They refer to concerns about fogging as well. Good luck!

13. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 2 2011 18:18:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If it were my PCO, you can bet they wouldn't have been fogging. But I don't feel as though I can dictate to the landlord's exterminator. The scheduled fogging is over now, anyway. We'll see where it goes from here. If they want to keep fogging, I'll at least point out that it didn't work.

14. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 16:57:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Found a bug today, after not seeing any for over a month.

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jun 19 2011 8:19:51
    #

Login to Send PM

HI,

This sounds like a local source infestation. I hope you have checked with neighbours to rule them out as sources.

If they are clear either the fogging did not work or you are still bringing them in.

Sometimes its more important to understand how the bedbugs got there than how you are going to get rid of them.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  16. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 12 2011 14:54:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I've talked to neighborss, but not enough to rule them out as a source. My guess is someone in the building either keeps bringing them in, or doesn't react to bites and has an ongoing infestation.

We could be bringing them in again ourselves, but it's not my first guess. My wife reacts, so if her workplace were infested the bites wouldn't stop after a treatment. Same with kids and school/preschool. I don't react, but I'm a stay-at-home dad (although not for much longer) and I don't have much opportunity to pick them up anywhere.

Got fogged and sprayed again, June 25th.

Found another one today, full of blood this time. The others have all been pretty much running on empty.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,692 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82