Encasement question

(7 posts)
  1. BeerBad

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 15:34:38
    #

Login to Send PM

My worst nightmare came true and we have bedbugs. I work in an ED and assume I brought one home. We caught it very quickly and seemed to be isolated to the main bed. Our PCO said we "had less than ten." Guest bed, couches, chairs etc all seemed to be in the clear. However, everything was sprayed. They will be back in 2 weeks and then 4 weeks.
    For the guest bed, we put on encasements and Climbup interceptors just to keep an eye on everything.
    We have mixed feelings about when to encase the main bed. I like the idea of trapping any new bedbugs in. I still have a hard time sleeping etc especially knowing that there may be eggs hatching in the next two weeks. However, I am SUPER freaked about trapping them in there and then getting a tear in a few months and suddenly we now have untrapped bedbugs on the lam. And have to start. all. over. again.
    Is there a benefit of early encasement (trapping) vs later encasing (ease of future monitoring?)
    This forum was a lifesaver during the last week
    S

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 15:55:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Use duct tape on the metal frame parts so you don't tear the encasement. Cimexa dust can be puffed on the mattress and box spring prior to encasement. Box spring is a unit that must be encased.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. BeerBad

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 15:58:55
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Use duct tape on the metal frame parts so you don't tear the encasement. Cimexa dust can be puffed on the mattress and box spring prior to encasement. Box spring is a unit that must be encased.

Thanks Loubugs!
    What I'm trying to figure out is the pros vs cons of early vs late encasement. We already have them, just trying to figure it out if we should put them on NOW (just had 1st treatment yesterday) or wait until after the 3 and final visit?
    S

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 16:26:35
    #

Login to Send PM

BeerBad - 26 minutes ago  » 

Thanks Loubugs!
    What I'm trying to figure out is the pros vs cons of early vs late encasement. We already have them, just trying to figure it out if we should put them on NOW (just had 1st treatment yesterday) or wait until after the 3 and final visit?
    S

You can use now and then if they fit well, you will be able to see any more easily if they crawl about and try to harbor between mattress and box spring. Any bugs in the box spring will be trapped. Dust can be puffed up into the void by removing the cloth underneath. Watch out for staples.

5. BeerBad

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 16:29:26
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 minute ago  » 

BeerBad - 26 minutes ago  » 

Thanks Loubugs!
    S

You can use now and then if they fit well, you will be able to see any more easily if they crawl about and try to harbor between mattress and box spring. Any bugs in the box spring will be trapped. Dust can be puffed up into the void by removing the cloth underneath. Watch out for staples.

Thanks, I get all that. But was is the true risk of accidently getting a tear in the encasement in a few months and now you have bedbugs escaping? I tend to lean toward killing all the ones I have now and then using as a future protection. My wife wants those still there covered up NOW. so we are disagreeing when to do it. Now vs later. It seems you are on the NOW side

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 16:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

If you use Cimexa inside the encasement then anything in there won't be left alive in a few months if there happens to be an accidental tear.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  7. lsdrg706

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 20:11:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to add so far as protecting encasements for long term, we did use some duct tape on our bed frame, but also got some adhesive craft foam, cut it into strips to fit our frame, and padded the crap out of the entire thing. If you want an encasement to also make bedding easier to inspect, you'll want to keep it safe from tears much later down the road.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg