Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Encasement Query

(7 posts)
  1. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 20:19:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Has any one ever been told if you are putting on pillow encasements to launder them first? We finally have a sleep shop here that has Protect-A-Bed in stock and when I went and bought a set for my new bedroom suite, I was told to do this - I have never heard of this. Would this not compromise the fabric?

2. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 20:24:46
    #

Login to Send PM

If you don't have bed bugs, I think you're told that you can take them off and wash them occasionally, but when I bought my protect-a-bed, I was told that I could wash and dry it, but not on hot because I might melt the plastic coating the inner layer. After hearing that I was to paranoid to wash it at all

3. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 16 2010 21:00:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I have dealt with two houses being infested, and the fall out ofthe cross contamination when they were brought back and figured out to get two pack-tites into Canada. Yes Canada with a little inginuity to can own a packtite and as soon as they get approval your home insurance will not be comprimised if anyting goes wrong - it is not CSA approved.

Am I bug free maybe, but who knows I haven't been biten since the beging of April and I ended up in the hospital from the bites, am bug free? I was but I have expirienced cross contamination. They say 18 months maybe a year is the time line, this started in my house to last September. I am introducing new furniture into my house, taking the proper precautions.

Bugs or no bugs no where on the lable does it say "wash before encaassing pillows".

4. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 0:27:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If you haven't been bitten since April, aren't you bug-free? Isn't the 18 mo time line in regards to bugs that go dormant? If you are in the house they wouldn't go dormant, right?
    Could you explain that a little more, please? Thanks

5. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 5:40:39
    #

Login to Send PM

my pillow encasements need a good wash. I am planning to toss the pillows covered by encasements in the PackTite for a treatment and then take the casements off and put them to be laundered with my "gentle stuff." Then PT them again when they return from laundromat...then they should be fine...

Must do that this week. Thanks for the reminder...

6. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 8:35:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Deedle I notice the fabric in these things is pretty crisp (I even bought the terri covered ones) and they might make a little noise when you put your head on the pillow - did you wash yours before putting them on? My concern is damaging the protective coating with heat because the package say's machine wash hot (I haven't seen a washer that water can get hot enough or I would own it), no bleach, tumble dry medium, do not iron and do not dry clean. The PT may damage them.

It would be nice if someone from Protecta-Bed would elaborate I searched the site last night and the dealers and could find any more information than what is on the package.

7. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 8 2011 13:53:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Pactite says encasements should be ok through Pactite cycle - if plastic bags don't melt I would guess that to be true - maybe put in alone and just 20 or 30 mins at 120 degrees?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123