Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Encasement for buggy mattress that isn't worth saving/protecting?

(4 posts)
  1. killingthemsoftly

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 20:33:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Some quick background:
    I am at the beginning of my - hopefully short - battle! I have already had an inspection (only of my mattress..) where bbs were confirmed. Throughout all my prep and decluttering I have not seen evidence anywhere else that I know of, but I have continual bites, so they are definitely hanging around.

My mattress is on a carpeted "floor" of a lofted space that is only big enough for the mattress - meaning it is almost completely flush with the wall at my head and feet, has about 3-4 inches of space between the mattress and the far wall, and just enough headspace to sit up. My first treatment is this week.

Question time!

My PCOs prep sheet recommends encasements:

1. The sheet says this should be applied after treatment "to avoid contact with chemicals" - but after talking to them further, they said the purpose is to protect my mattress from (additional?) stains and mess, etc.

I let them know my mattress has lived a long life, and is ready to be thrown out as soon as I am bug free, so the PCO says the encasement isn't necessary. I've read the FAQs, and understand the preventative benefits of an encasement or adding it once you are in the clear, but does it play any role in the actual treatment and eradication process if I'm only adding it after the bbs are already confirmed?

(Since I do react so clearly to the bites, easier detection isn't a big advantage for me.)

2. The PCO also said, if I was getting an encasement, that it should be put on after the first treatment, removed for the second treatment, and then put back on again afterwards.

From what I understand, the encasement should never be removed once it is on.. and doing that on an already buggy mattress seems like a particularly bad idea.. no?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 8:53:33
    #

Login to Send PM

1. Skip the encasement.
    2. It can be removed if that aids in the treatment.

3. killingthemsoftly

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 9:30:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks BigDummy!

For question 2, I can see how removing the encasement to get access to spray the mattress again for a second treatment could be helpful if the first round didn't kill everything, but if still-alive bbs are actually inside, wouldn't removing it also risk releasing them? Seems like a catch 22.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jul 27 2018 9:58:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Anything that may have survived would then be exposed to that second treatment.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081