Empty House Advice

(3 posts)
  1. bedbuggedben

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 11 2016 11:41:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, as many who arrive here, I've been lurking since spotting a bed bug in our newly purchased house. Good news is we have not moved in yet. But I'm wondering if that very fact may be delaying the demise of these bugs.

Here's the story thus far. During our home search, we fell in love with a 30's built former farmhouse. We had a home inspection, but I skipped a pest inspection, as to my inexperienced eye, there was no call for it. The house had been rented for the past two years. While looking at the house, I thought it odd that there was no bed in the house, but didn't make the connection that someone had pitched to try and rid himself of the dreaded bugs.

I took ownership of the place a few weeks ago and immediately began making repairs prior to moving in. While doing so, my mother-in-law spots a bug and says "I think that's a bed bug." I would have had no idea, so I'm glad she was the one that spotted it. I contact a local exterminator who confirms it's a bed bug.

He tells methat with the house now vacant, a heat treatment would be most effective. They come to the house, and make a formal inspection and state that this should go pretty smoothly as there are only tools and paint supplies in the house - no furniture, no curtains, basically empty (main floor had carpet, the rest was hardwood). So they schedule the treatment and cook the house for the better part of the scheduled day. They also dusted outlets and sprayed Temprid along all cracks and crevices. And left a Volcano for monitoring.

I went over to the house late that night to begin removing carpet. I worked late, and just before leaving, I spot two BB's marching on the door frame leading up stairs. I was a little peeved as I had been told this was 99% likely to knock the bugs out. But I figured the sprays would take care of the rest. The following day I spot a BB in one of the volcano's.

A week and another spray later, and I'm still spotting one or two of these things each night I work late. After the first follow up treatment they left two more volcano's for monitoring, three days in those haven't caught a thing.

I need to get in here in the next 3 weeks to avoid paying both a mortgage and rent, but don't want to move my small children into a house with BB's. I've given consideration to putting a bed in the house, with encased mattress and climb up traps and staying there to try and draw them out. I'm wondering what this community would say of this situation? What next steps should I take? There is another follow up next Monday.

And thoughts and advice appreciated.

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 11 2016 11:56:17
    #

Login to Send PM

That plan would work. How long did the house sit vacant? If it was vacant for more 10 weeks, there shouldn't be any nymphs to be worried about.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. bedbuggedben

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 11 2016 12:24:54
    #

Login to Send PM

The house was not vacant for more than a couple days between the renter leaving and my possession of it. At this point, the bugs haven't fed for about 3 weeks, at least that I'm aware of.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,816 posts in 49,812 topics over 154 months by 21,801 of 22,267 members. Latest: Purplebrain, MrBedbug, Pioneer47