Embarressed to say this...

(7 posts)
  1. NotFunny

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 5:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Alrighty, this is very embarrassing but I need to know the answer and possibly an explanation.
    Are bed bugs attracted to females who are on their period? Would they come in mass amounts due to that? I'm freaking out. Would I attract my bed bugs due to this? Should I be worried?

2. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 6:16:38
    #

Login to Send PM

No, bed bugs puncture the skin like a mosquito.

It won't make any difference.

3. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 6:57:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Pay attention only to iguana males, it seems they sometimes react badly to female pheromones in monthly period...

4. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 9:49:55
    #

Login to Send PM

They find us too easily via carbon elements--don't need any more obvious blood signs. There has been some talk here, suggesting that women get bit more than men do, because of estrogen. But I doubt there is any scientific basis for such a suspicion; it would be just as likely that women might REACT more to bites than men do, simply due to a different gender biochemical makeup. Until bed bugs are taken more seriously by some sectors of the scientific community, we won't know much more than we already know, about why they do what they do.

5. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 13:05:25
    #

Login to Send PM

NotFunny,

Don't be embarrassed. I too wondered (and worried) about the same thing! I was just too afraid to ask and it appears not to be the case - phew!

6. DustinBBKiller

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 13:15:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I have noticed in many cases I've been to it always seemed the female was being bitten more. It was always, "Well my husband thinks I'm nuts because I'm the only one showing signs" type of thing.
    I did have one lady though who had just had a baby and something was wrong with her blood. Extremely low iron and other minerals. They gave here these supplements that made her blood smell funky ( she said it was, I didn't smell it lol). Anyways she started reacting, to bites, 10 times worse after being on these iron/mineral supplements. She was the only person in her whole house to have ever been bit, or to at least shows signs of being bitten. It was odd. Both her and her husband slept in the same bed, yet he never had a single bite (that he knew of) (yes we all know that everyone reacts differently to bites)

7. bait

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Feb 9 2011 21:06:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The prevailing theory - at least insofar as mosquitoes and women are concerned - is as follows:

From NYTimes.com By ANAHAD O’CONNOR Published: June 14, 2010

When scientists compared pregnant women with their nonpregnant counterparts in a Lancet study in 2000, they found that the pregnant women attracted twice as many mosquitoes. The study noted that the pregnant women exhaled more carbon dioxide and had higher body temperatures, allowing mosquitoes to detect them more easily.

Some time ago I posted a link to the study to which this article refers.

Ovulation also affects body temperature. (For men, this means non-pregnant women)

A study of Scottish midges indicated that men were bit much more than women. Again, from the Times, "one report in the Annals of Internal Medicine pointed out, men are more likely to be attacked, primarily because of their greater body size." I read that study too. Another study, or maybe that same study, pointed to beer drinking as an attractant as well.

Bait

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams