Egg and stain ID

(9 posts)
  1. panickedmom

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2015 12:20:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, I still have quite a bit of anxiety 4 weeks post thermal remediation and chemical spray. I worry about every piece of debris and stain and can't help shake the worry of a lingering bug. As a back story- single family home with one dead bed bug found in my sons crib next to 4 fecal stains under the sheet. 3 PCOs couldn't find other evidence. We treated as above and have climb ups, passive monitors and mattress encasements go try to make future monitoring easier. This weekend I did a thorough inspection of both bedrooms and vowed to relax If nothing was found. I found no bugs, fecal stains or skins. I did find this single rice shaped object on the underside of the box spring encasement. It doesn't feel "crunchy" and seems to have a black dot. I don't have any explaination with it being the bottoms of the bed. I brought it to my PCO (not my regular guy) who casually said it could be an egg but probably not and to just keep a look out... Which didn't make me feel better at all. There was also this smudge on a pillow case, when dabbed with hydrogen peroxide, immediately disappeared. My dog does sleep in my bed so I expect to see some dirt/debris but can't explain that tiny object on the bottom. Any takers? Think it's related or no? I'm considering bringing in a dog to try to help me get over this... But I also thought going with the thermal would help me relax
    http://flic.kr/p/qVs2Q5
    http://flic.kr/p/qVDF9k

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2015 12:29:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its a case of "a picture is worth a 1000 words". If possible please post images of what you are seeing so they can be ruled in or out as bedbug related by those with experience. The link on how to do this is below:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/test-13

Otherwise its a case of spending some time in the example galleries so you can "get your eye in" and develop more enhanced visual confirmation skills.

Its not uncommon for people to start noticing all manner of fluff and debris (in fact my main site hosts a gallery of common non bedbug artifact examples).

The act that the suspect stain disappeared makes it less likley to be bedbug related as their feces is highly staining and difficult to remove.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. panickedmom

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2015 12:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I posted too quick. Should be up now. Thanks so much, your help is always appreciated

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2015 12:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

@David Cain, the OP has now posted photographs and the "non-egg" can be identified that way . . . however, for anyone that may be reading in the future (and if it would have just so happened that the OP didn't have a photograph) . . .

panickedmom said this:

panickedmom -  » 
    I did find this single rice shaped object on the underside of the box spring encasement. It doesn't feel "crunchy" and seems to have a black dot. . . . I brought it to my PCO (not my regular guy) who casually said it could be an egg but probably not and to just keep a look out...

So my question is . . . . it has been stated that female bed bugs glue or cement eggs in place, so if it was an egg . . . how difficult and how much effort would one have to expend to get an egg off of a surface that it has been glued to?

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2015 12:41:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The stain is a non confirming one, it might be blood based but its closer to a spot that has burst and oxidized than anything.

The "non egg" is 100% not an egg. With regards the effort to remove a laid egg, its little or nothing in human terms. The material is sticky when first laid and then quickly dries to a solid that is very brittle. The best analogy would be to a biscuit dough that is rolled thin and then baked. It literally has a "crack" sound as you tap them off with the blade of a knife. However its more common for people to "crush" them and again you can literally hear them "pop" if your sound perception is good.

False alarm though.

David

6. panickedmom

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2015 12:48:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much. I hate to keep being such a pain. I can't believe the emotional toll this has taken on me. I mean... It's a bug. I keep telling myself that they are good hiders but they are not invisible, and I would see evidence. I am trying to relax and hopefully time will heal me before my husband loses his mind dealing with me. The social implications are just terrible. Even after treating aggressively, I still don't want to invite anyone over and am hesitant to go places. Although I know it is arbitrary, I am hoping the "60 day" gives me some peace of mind when I get there. I was less concerned about the pillow stain. My German shepherd likes to think she owns the bed and will sit her self anywhere before I get in. I think that was easily some dirt with how easily it cleaned up without and friction

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2015 12:50:01
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk -  » 
    With regards the effort to remove a laid egg, its little or nothing in human terms. The material is sticky when first laid and then quickly dries to a solid that is very brittle.

Hmmmmm. . . Interesting.

I was asking because I thought I have read several times that they are not easily "vacuumed" off a surface and a stiff brush may need to be used in conjunction with vacuuming.

. . . So am I understanding that a vacuum may not be strong enough to suck them up but they should be easily "picked" off by a human . . .

or am I not understanding at all?!

8. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2015 12:51:21
    #

Login to Send PM

panickedmom -  » 
    Thanks so much. I hate to keep being such a pain. I can't believe the emotional toll this has taken on me. I mean... It's a bug. I keep telling myself that they are good hiders but they are not invisible, and I would see evidence. I am trying to relax and hopefully time will heal me before my husband loses his mind dealing with me. The social implications are just terrible. Even after treating aggressively, I still don't want to invite anyone over and am hesitant to go places. Although I know it is arbitrary, I am hoping the "60 day" gives me some peace of mind when I get there

You are not being a pain panickedmom . . . and it will get better. It takes some time for a lot of people . . . but it will get better!

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Mar 30 2015 13:27:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its why spending the time on the galleries really helps, it reduced the number of "roller coaster" rides you need to take to get to the final destination. It also helps if you get into the habit of looking at the detection skirt on your Passive Monitor because when correctly installed they find that to be the ideal home.

@AbsolutelyFreaking yes a light brush such as make-up brush will not dislodge them because the "sheer" pressure is too low but a stiffer bristle will easily knock them off. As you might imagine we have some "tools" we use when needed but they are more valuable in commercial settings where the brief is more to do with removing all evidence that even we have been in the room. You can adjust some vacuum sources to be strong enough to suck up eggs but we only found that once we adjusted a cleaner to be strong enough to suck wall paper off the wall.

To get it really clear in your head you need to understand how forces work and the fundamental difference between the power of a suction force versus an applied sheer force to overcome the object. Its a bit like trying to move a car with the handbrake on with either a leaf blower or BelAZ 75710 dump truck. The total energy required without contact is always going to be higher than a direct applied "sheer force".

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,263 posts in 50,153 topics over 155 months by 21,923 of 22,419 members. Latest: frustrated1970, duracell, Parawail