Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Efficacy of active monitors in roommate situations

(4 posts)
  1. MeltySpatulae

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 12 2013 0:05:10
    #

Login to Send PM

The rest of my BBAlert passives are arriving tomorrow, but I'm starting to think about what I'm going to do if I haven't found any positive signs on the passives by the time I leave for my trip next week, if I'm still getting bites (I've been noticing one or two single bites every day since Sat, that look a lot more like mosquito bites than the first two sets of bites I got last week, some itchy, some not).

I know the recommendation is to use some sort of active monitor if the room is going to be unoccupied: what I'm wondering is, if I'm gone for an entire week, and the room next to mine is going to be occupied (by at least my roomy, if not his girlfriend as well) how effective are the various options out there going to be?

Dry ice is out of the question given that it won't even last a day, leaving either the Bed Bug Beacon, or a DIY trap of sugar & yeast, or a CO2 canister. But both of the latter options have been measured to produce far, far below the same amount of CO2 as we humans do, which leads to the question of: with one or two bodies next door producing CO2 and heat, how effective will any sort of CO2 trap actually be in my room?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 12 2013 5:19:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

From personal and professional experience I can assure you that no active monitor on the market is powerful enough to draw bedbugs through from an occupied room into the unoccupied one. You also have a good ten day grace if a room is routinely occupied and then becomes unoccupied for 10 days without anyone even entering it before bedbugs start to seek alternative food.

The Active that we use routinely is the Bed Bug Beacon and I have had great results from it in the field including difficult environments and low level infestations.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. MeltySpatulae

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 12 2013 5:37:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David, sorry if I wasn't clear, but my concern wasn't if the active would draw from an occupied to an unoccupied room - it was whether the presence of one (or two) people in the room right next to mine will be a stronger lure than the CO2 monitor, thereby drawing any possible bugs in my room over to theirs instead.

Also, where is that 10 day figure from? I seem to remember reading that they feed every 3-7 (or 3-5?) days, and since I'm supposed to be gone for about 9 days, that makes me a little worried.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Sep 12 2013 6:04:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Conversely people in another room so long as they do not enter yours will not be a more powerful lure than an efficacious active in the room.

The figure of 10 days comes from a case we studied the other year where the occupied room became unoccupied with a significant infestation of 3,00 - 5,000. The room had not been entered at all for 10 days and during that time not a single bedbug left the room despite the fact that two other people occupied the property.

It has little to do with their normal feeding cycle and more of an indication as to a minimum period of time that the spread will not occur so long as the room is not occupied. It works in your favour in this case as you will be away for 9 days so under that threshold time.

Hope that clearer.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956