Effects of bedbugs on electronics?

(5 posts)
  1. LBP

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 10 2010 6:14:12
    #

Login to Send PM

So I came across this quote in another thread:

ELECTRONICS ARE THE WORST!! iPads, laptops, Kindles, cell phones, portable DVD players, headphones!--all collect and breed bedbugs faster than any other harborage.

Is this true? Some experts in another thread of mine (http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-decontaminate-electronics-in-general) thought this was rare. If this is true, how to they affect the working of said electronics? Anyone ever had something short out because of them? (And is this covered by warranties? I'm just curious.)

Any additions to the mentioned thread on how to deal with 'em without introducing static electricity risk or what have you?

2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 10 2010 7:36:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The reality is that for electronics to become infected they have to be exposed to bedbugs, in a normal domestic setting this would require quite an advanced infestation. In all the cases I have dealt with I have only ever found infected electronics in the most extreme cases.

As we have already established that you don't have an infestation I think this is worry you could well do without putting yourself through.

It is technically highly unlikely for domestic appliances to fuse or trip due to bedbugs in any case as chitin is not a good conductor of electricity and would therefore not effect components of any system.

If you have a confirmed issue with electronics which you clearly don't then pest stripes and sealing in a bag would currently be your best option.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

3. LBP

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 11 2010 12:59:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, mostly I was concerned by the statement I quoted; it implied that it was a major bedbug attractor and one of the first/best places for them to thrive. And I was concerned about the inner workings of my laptop.

As for not having an infestation... Who knows. It's cool in my apartment and I stayed in a hotel for a night.

But I am thinking more seriously about those passive monitors, if only for when the weather gets warmer...

4. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 12 2010 3:27:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Electronics are the worst to TREAT for bugs, because theyre delicate to heat and have handy ventilation. They are not a sure place for harborage. Maybe if you sleep with your tv in bed with you, but otherwise...

5. BBGen0cide

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2011 16:46:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Why don't people talk about this more? BUMP!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies