(6 posts)
  1. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 22 2015 18:16:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi
    I have a question about passive monitors.
    Q 1. Would pesticides sprayed a few months ago prevent BBs from setting up a harbourage on a passive monitor placed on top of the top bed slat?
    I have not had any signs on the passive but am experiencing the odd bite. I was, I thought, a non-responder though I have since recalled that I did feel as if I was on fire after the first (ineffective) spray (which just seemed to rile the bugs). The bites I am now getting are single bites on neck and legs and are not itchy.
    There is DE on the bed and I have been slowly painting the bed slats with all in one sealer/primer and gloss paint (three at a time so I can still use the bed).
    Q, 2. would the primer and paint seal in any BBs if there were any there? I used sugar soap to clean the slats first. There was some black gunk on the slats but it didn't look like the pictures of fecal on slats which Lou has previously posted. I had thought it was simply DE that had been doused with pesticide - but I could be wrong. I have not seen any bugs but I only ever saw a few and have never been able to find any cast skins.
    Grateful for any assistance and very grateful for the existence of this forum.

2. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Sep 22 2015 22:30:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Just to clarify, bed bugs were identified and treated. Harbourages at that time were the hessian webbing between two bed slats, between the skirting board and wall behind the bed head and behind a picture on the wall behind the bed head. The bed has four wooden posts with black metal arches linking the posts at head and foot. I can't dismantle the bed at the points where the wood and metal arches meet. The sides where the slats sit (also black metal) are attached with screws to a metal piece on the posts. I replaced the slats before the second spray, so there is no webbing and they are loose.
    I have noticed a little bit of black on one or two of the newly painted slats, but this looks as if it could be from the black metal sides where the slats sit as I have been moving them up the bed while painting others. The black metal unfortunately makes it difficult to know for sure what is going on, hence the monitor - but I am concerned that the pesticides on the slats may be repelling any BBs from using the monitor and they are maybe hiding somewhere else.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 23 2015 8:27:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Some insecticides have a repellency effect on bedbugs and as such the "wrong" spray can cause a colony to disperse and scatter. We do not have an extensive list of all of these in the global market which is why the best advice I can give is to clean away insecticide for the area that you install a Passive Monitor to negate this risk.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Sep 23 2015 21:15:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I appreciate your input David, thank you.

I will take your advice and clean the slat with the monitor on it this weekend, then allow to dry and replace the monitor. I will just use sugar soap but will leave that slat unpainted as I understand from the info on your website that this would make the placement more attractive to BBs.

Hopefully then if BBs are still present, they should set up shop in the monitor and proper monitoring can begin!

I note that I had the monitor on top of the slat as I found it kept falling off the underside (because I had forgotten I had DEed the slat and it compromised the stickiness. Would it be OK to re-use the same monitor on top of the slat, or do you strongly recommend I place the monitor under the slat (in which case I would use a fresh one with more stick)?

Thanks again.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Sep 24 2015 8:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The top of the slat is fine. Because of the conserved behaviour involved when bedbugs defecate the product works in both orientations.

David

6. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Sep 28 2015 4:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again
    Ok I have now cleaned the slats and all but the one with the passive are painted with gloss paint.
    If there are no signs on the monitor over the next few days would that.mean I am in the clear and these odd bites are something else (I am an avid gardener)? Or should I wait longer to be sure?
    Thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls