Early detection? Should I try DIY?

(9 posts)
  1. Holzwar4

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 15:41:23
    #

Login to Send PM

New here! I found one dead BB on the couch in the basement. I had a professional inspection and he confirmed it was a bed bug. He found nothing else in the basmenet and when we moved to my bedroom I found a live nymph in an upholstered chair. After I found that we stopped looking and talked treatment options (heat vs chemical). He sent me a prep list, I called multiple other businesses to get different quotes, which were all over the board and all had different process ( spray once, spray twice, encasements/ no encasements.. Etc.) while prepping, my husband and I found 4 dead bugs ( we think they are bed bugs.. Not as clear as the other two) nothing on beds, no visible bites, no blood anywhere. I am wondering if these may just be signs of an early infestation? Possibly something we can handle ourselves with DE, cleaning, bagging and encasements? Everythimy gets extra complicated with two kids and a nanny that has refused to come back until this is resolved ( understandably) I want to take care of this ASAP, but wondering if the whole $1,000 + treatments are over kill. Also, bed bugs have been going around at my work place the past 6 months, so I know where they came from!

I have moments where I feel like I am overreacting. And then I have those panicked moments that I'm not doing enough. HELP!

2. Bappida

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 17:02:45
    #

Login to Send PM

early detection is always great. others are not as lucky as you. Any bites yet? Do you have a shared wall with a neighbor, or are you in a stand along structure?

IMO If you can afford it then treatment by a PCO is always ideal. You might make matters worse by DIYing instead of solving the issue.

3. Holzwar4

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 17:38:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much for your quick response. I am feeling lost! We are in a stand alone house, 3 stories, about 2200 sq ft. No bites, no fecal stains, and my family thinks I'm crazy for all of the prep I have been doing. So they have me doubting myself. I see a lot of "early detection is important" but it also seems like the treatment is the same whether you have two bed bugs or a full blown infestation. So do they just mean wiping them out is easier if you catch it at the early stages? Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks!

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 17:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Holzwar4 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks so much for your quick response. I am feeling lost! We are in a stand alone house, 3 stories, about 2200 sq ft. No bites, no fecal stains, and my family thinks I'm crazy for all of the prep I have been doing. So they have me doubting myself. I see a lot of "early detection is important" but it also seems like the treatment is the same whether you have two bed bugs or a full blown infestation. So do they just mean wiping them out is easier if you catch it at the early stages? Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks!

How long have you lived in the house? Any history that you know of why they would be there? Relatives, friends, neighbors, visiting? Have you and family been on a vacation lately? Are the bed bugs actually common bed bugs or bat bugs?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. Holzwar4

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 18:08:46
    #

Login to Send PM

We have been here 3 years, never had a problem before. People at work were getting them so I have been on the look Out the past six months. PCO confirmed that the first and second I found were bed bugs. The others I found in my bedroom were dead and I am not certain they were bed bugs, two of them had white on the underside, eggs?

6. Holzwar4

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 18:09:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Also.. I think it strange that out of four people in my home no one has had reactions or proof of bites.

7. Livingagain

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 19:49:51
    #

Login to Send PM

30% of people don't react to bed bug bites. And even of the 70% of people who do react it takes a while for the reaction to the bites to start happening.

If your family is not familiar with bed bugs they might think the prep is overkill, but your best shot at getting rid of them is to pull out all the stops at first. And yes, $1000 isn't unreasonable for this, some of us have paid a lot more. The 1 spray or 2 sprays is a joke, though, it'll most likely take more than that.

PCO's tend to have an over reliance on sprays. If your PCO doesn't also use dusts, buy some Cimexa and after his treatment has dried, apply Cimexa lightly around bed legs, furniture, baseboards, top of box springs, cracks and crevices in couches with a paintbrush, dusts have become some of the most effective types of treatment. You'll have to run that by your PCO and may have to vacuum before his next treatment, but if it was me, that's what I would do.

8. Holzwar4

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 20:31:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, I needed a little reality check. I'll look into the Cimexa.. Pco will be spraying tomorrow. I will update our results!

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 22:07:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Holzwar4 - 3 hours ago  » 
    We have been here 3 years, never had a problem before. People at work were getting them so I have been on the look Out the past six months. PCO confirmed that the first and second I found were bed bugs. The others I found in my bedroom were dead and I am not certain they were bed bugs, two of them had white on the underside, eggs?

Sounds like from work only because that is a known place. Too bad you don't post a picture of the bugs. Underside white. Not eggs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,644 posts in 44,807 topics over 137 months by 19,666 of 20,369 members. Latest: PeterJensen, DamselInBugDistress, Pleasehelp12