Duvet encasement...needed or not?

(11 posts)
  1. buggedoff

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 12 2008 11:38:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wondering if my fellow bedbuggers have encased their duvets? I am considering just tossing my current one - the one that I was using when I discovered the problem - eventhough I've thrown it in the dryer for hours and had it bagged outside in the boiling sun for days. I just want to be safe. Alternatively, I could just encase it but the cost of the encasements are quite expensive. If I don't encase it and get a new duvet, how do you protect it from getting contaminated if the BB problem is still around, albeit dwindling? *sigh*

thanks!

2. Omega

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 12 2008 11:53:05
    #

Login to Send PM

This is what I have been doing. I have a nice down comforter that was covered with a duvet cover. When I found I had bedbugs, I removed the duvet cover, washed it and dryed it then bagged it. I do not use anything that a bug can crawl into and hide. I use my comforter without the duvet but I put it in the dryer every day then bag it and use it. Its white so its easy to inspect.

I used to have a beautiful looking bed with matching bed skirt, shams, duvet, etc. Now I have a naked bed encased in bed bug proof encasement & pillow encasements. I remove my sheets after sleeping, bag them, wash & dry and bag in a new bag.

I know, its a real pain, but, Id rather do that than have a bug hiding. So far, I havent been bitten since June 19. I have also had to two treatments from a PCO.

Good Luck.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 12 2008 13:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think it is easy to keep comforters bed bug-free.

Even drying a comforter daily does not seem safe to me. We know comforters are thick and may insulate bed bugs better than thin kinds of cloth (the kinds that have been tested in dryers to kill bed bugs). No one really knows how long you'd have to dry a comforter to keep it bed bug-free.

I personally threw mine out for this reason and used a cotton blanket from National Allergy that was washable and dryable.

Here's another example: Beautyrest Mercerized Cotton Blanket, Full/Queen.

If you really want a comforter, or need one, then you might try an encasement. I am not sure if there are any which have been rigorously tested with bed bugs, however.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bugsloveme

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 12 2008 13:52:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a down comforter. It's pretty old so I will probably get a new one once this fiasco is over...if that ever happens. But I've been using my duvet like normal. My mattress has been treated and I just had like 3 sheets on top of my mattress and been sleeping like normal. I haven't been bit since. My whole apartment is being fully treated today so hopefully I won't get any more at all!

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Aug 12 2008 14:01:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As a surface to live on duvets usually have a lot of negative aspects if you are a bed bug , they get moved, they get washed, they are sometimes left in cupboards for very long periods of time.

In about 8,000 cases I can only recall one where the duvet was a major issue, namely a gentleman who had a habit of falling asleep on the sofa after late night computer game sessions. As such the bed bugs quickly realised that the only way to get a regular feed was to hang out on the duvet. Both rooms were also infected but the main activity was on the seams of the duvet.

I always advise people to use the linen, sheets, blankets, beds, furniture and possessions they have and then dispose at the end of the infestation rather than replacing at the start of the exercise and going through the whole expense all over again when they are gone.

Its certainly a place to keep an eye on though and definatly do not get into the habit of moving them between rooms.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2008 17:09:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I needed a comforter for warmth in my apartment, and found that the cost of washing and drying one repeatedly was too expensive. If you need a comforter, I support trying a duvet encasement as a solution to the comforter problem. I bought mine from National Allergy and it is working for me.

7. belle72

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2008 21:40:49
    #

Login to Send PM

We tossed our comforter set, and right now cotton blankets work fine but in the winter we will need something better. For that matter we don't even know IF we still have BBs. I got one bite 2 wks ago that I think was the real deal but no other signs. If we still suspect we may have a problem, I can't come up with any solution except for a washable electric blanket for the cold.

8. bbh

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 21:22:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Responding to this thread as no answer to my related question that I started on another one. Hoping someone is still subscribed...

I have a down comforter that lives in a duvet. I went out and purchased protect-a-bed box spring cover, and notwithstanding the fact that the package says for box springs only, I put the comforter in here and then put the duvet back on. Does seem reasonable? Not cozy, particularly - it's sort of like sleeping under cardboard, but reasonable?? Any danger that anyone can think of, say, sleeping under a box spring encasement (encased itself in a duvet) rather than only using it on the box spring?

Finally, my original question from other thread: can/would the bed bugs live in the zipper of the encasement? I know they can't get in, but might it be an attractive harborage? Behind this question is the question of how often I have to take off the duvet to wash and how carefully I have to check cover. Thanks.

9. buggedout16

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 21:36:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, I just wanted to weigh in for all those people who want the warm blankets I am easily cold, and what I used starting with the BB infestation (and probably always will now) are those microfleece blankets. They are thicker than a simple cotton blanket, but still very easily washable and hold up well to multiple washings, but aren't insulated with all that material inside, like a comforter. And they are so soft and warm You can get them in many different sizes and if one's not enough, you can layer them. My infestation was in the winter and these did the trick.

Anyway, I'm serious about staying warm at night, that's why all the detail. Normal people, carry on.

EDIT: Oops, just realized this is a very old post, probably the OP has resolved their problem by now... sorry!

10. bbh

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 9 2010 22:10:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Nope, new post. I just posted on an old thread. This is my daughter's comforter, and she's adamant about sleeping under something with weight, like the comforter. Don't ask me - it's 100 degrees here and she's under down...

11. Eve

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 2:07:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm on your daughter's side in this debate. I hate being hot, but it has to get really hot before I give up my nice weighty comforter. There's a reason they call them that.

I find that drying them when they're dry seems to work. Also, David may be right and they're rarely the problem.

There is no certainty in this business, but then there is no certainty anywhere.

Eve <-- student of statistics

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,173 posts in 46,246 topics over 140 months by 20,386 of 21,217 members. Latest: VAhouse, dontpanic, Koroifox