dusting

(23 posts)
  1. goaway

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 19 2008 22:58:12
    #

Login to Send PM

How do u all dust the de? I mean like how and would u use to apply it. I have a squeeze tube like a ketchup squeezer. I want to know if people use paint brushes to apply de with? I want to find other ways to dust.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 8:39:27
    #

Login to Send PM

makeup brushes apparently work well

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 9:03:10
    #

Login to Send PM

i used a paint brush from the dollar store. the size of brush that you would normally use to paint trim.

4. buggedmama

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 10:13:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Mine came in a bottle that dusts, but I've also used a $ store paintbrush in places where it came out too thick. I actually have a couple DE related q's that maybe I will post in this thread: 1) Has anyone applied it wet and/or does anyone know how to do this? I hate having the dust around because of the baby crawling all over the floor, and b) Have any bedbuggers here seen DE kill a bed bug? From whom, if anyone knows, does the info that DE kills BBs come? The bottle I have says it works on bed bugs, but I am just wondering if any bedbuggers have actually seen it in action?

5. MixedFeelings

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 12:11:45
    #

Login to Send PM

DE is not effective when wet. I do not know if it would ge "re-effective" when dried after being wet. I seem to doubt it.

MF

6. buggedmama

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 14:04:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Really? I was sure I read here somewhere you can apply it wet..?

7. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 14:21:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I don't dust myself (have a maid, OK sorry joke aside) so cant make a personal recommendation but from a design perspective this has to be the best device for dusting I have seen.

http://www.pestfreehome.co.uk/mini-dust-applicator_details.htm

It's a UK company but I am sure it may be available elsewhere.

David

8. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 14:55:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Use a mask and gloves. The DE will dry your skin out.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 20 2008 23:18:29
    #

Login to Send PM

goaway,
    Not to pry, but are you also using a pest control operator and do they know you are going to use DE?

10. goaway

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Mar 22 2008 0:11:27
    #

Login to Send PM

My building currently is getting examined by bb dogs but i missed the appointment day. I however gotten bites and I seen them in the garbage disposable room which is like literally next to me and neighbor. I squashed them when i seen them but managed to keep a corpse for proof and examination. My building complex has roughly 34 floors and seems like people are getting them left/right. On the dusting, recently i put up some shelving which required drilling holes for anchors and used the squeeze tube to puff in the walls. My wife thinks i'm over exaggerating b.c she and my kids didn't get bites. Also my bites are like here and there with 1 or 2 bites. I think they have a thing for my neck;recently been sleeping with some windows open b/c i think they don't like the cold..sorry for the rant.

11. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Mar 22 2008 3:13:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Goaway - offer no apologies for the rant. Your situation is difficult. Rest assured, you are not exaggerating or overreacting. Thirty-four floors? - that's a lot of caulking and neighborly coordination. It's tough, but if you don't do the work now, the problem will eventually get bad enough that your wife and kids won't be able to ignore it. Soldier on, we're behind you!

12. bugobsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Mar 22 2008 10:02:49
    #

Login to Send PM

To apply DE I used a makeup brush and a rose duster (found the duster through the useful links stuff). The makeup brush (or a paint brush) is tedious, but probably better for a couple of reasons: a) It's easier to control. The rose duster, while fast takes a steady hand to avoid over-applying. If you pump the level too hard it comes out in clumps. b) DE becomes less airborne with the brushes. The rose duster creates a cloud if you're not careful.

I also used a painters mask and rubber gloves when I applied it, and I bought Visine in case it got in my eyes.

One thing to remember about DE is that you have to be patient with it. I'm not a very patient person and my impulse is to attack hard and fast. Because DE is so light, if you're not patient in applying it, it becomes airborne really easily-- I learned that the hard way.

In response to the post about seeing DE work on a bedbug-- I have. I used to catch the bugs and save them (alive) in ziplocks so I would have evidence to show my landlord. I experimented on one of them with DE to see if it works. Indeed it does, but not immediately. It took several hours. I like to believe it was a slow agonizing death.

13. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Mar 22 2008 16:38:52
    #

Login to Send PM

i saw DE kill a cute little beetle with red stripes. felt bad for the little dude. never saw it kill a bedbug, but i believe there are studies (independent studies, that is) to suggest that it does work on them. apparently it works best in cracks and crevices though.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Mar 23 2008 14:20:23
    #

Login to Send PM

It can take 10 days to kill bed bugs, lil, which may explain your experience.

goaway, I am impressed that your building brought dogs in to sniff. Was this a landlord/rental building or a building where everyone owns their apartment? Anyway, it sounds like your whole building will need professional treatment, so I hope you will follow up with them and not just try to do it on your own (which is hard).

15. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2008 16:00:21
    #

Login to Send PM

DE works , it takes time, but provides residual against future bbs. You can buy a duster as previously mentioned in the blogs or use a blush or paint brush. It's best applied dry.
    Remove outlet covers and around pipes, floor gaps and other areas. When you are finished it should mostly be out of sight. Apply in thin layer or bed bugs may avoid it.

16. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Mar 24 2008 18:39:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BBcoukHome that has to be one of the sleekest designs for a duster I've seen! Not sure if we have anything like that in the U.S. yet.

If your looking for a rose duster you can just go to any home depot (or similiar home improvement store) or pretty much any hardware store (I got mine at Ace) to get one.

It took a few sprays the first time I used it but it's fairly easy to get it to spray a nice light even coat once you get used to it.

17. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Mar 25 2008 8:48:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Please.
    Like some updates on a question or two on DE.

Once DE has become damp or wet will it dry out and will it still be as effective as fresh dry DE?
    How often should DE be reapplied?

18. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2008 18:38:16
    #

Login to Send PM

DE should be kept dry all the formulations I know of can withstand ambient moisture but getting wet and drying will reduce efficacy. In voids it can last over a year otherwise
    movement light and heat break it down and dust will cover it over, but you still should get several months.

19. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2008 19:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Winston I was not aware that it would last that long in voids and in general. Although I have been vacumming it up before apply new dust (outside of the wall voids folks).

20. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2008 20:30:33
    #

Login to Send PM

On the subject of DE, I believe that I got rid of my light infestation using just DE. Will post my story as soon as I get the dog in and have verification... am crossing all my fingers.

At first I just dumped it along all the baseboards, but then after a lot of reading here realized I was putting too much. What worked for me then, was an old large soft paintbrush. I "painted" all the metal and cloth and board undersides of the sofa and a new recliner. Also I painted the rugs under all the furniture, as well as the baseboards, and inside the wood drawers after all the clothing and linens were removed. I have oak floors, so I dumped a whole lot of DE (wearing a mask of course) all over, and swished the DE all over with a broom, so that the fine dust settled in all the many many tiny cracks. Then I swept up all the excess DE from the floor.

Now before I get the dog in I have to pick it all up, as it certainly would not be good for his sniffing apparatus, or his lungs.

21. Blue_Ox

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2008 21:19:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm curious to know if DE is effective after other dust (the regular kind) falls on top of it - like after a few months of being out. I live in a pre-war building where there is molding almost at the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling, but there is kind of a ledge. It's possible it's constructed like this so people could hang pictures without hammering nails into the plaster walls. Anyway, I put DE dust all along the tops of the ledge with a dust applicator that has a long wand, and I never vacuum up there. I couldn't reach it to vacuum even if I tried.

I assume at some point other dust falls on top of it or at least mixes with it and wonder if it still has that spiky consistency after the other dust is there?

22. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 26 2008 21:29:17
    #

Login to Send PM

BlueOx, I think that Winstons post suggested it would last several months, but that normal "dust" can effect if over time. Winston, thank you for that answer. I have heard many different answers on how long it last and undisturbed. I've a few weeks ot ya year. My PCO tells me up to a year, so it's good to hear that from you as well. Thank you.

23. Blue_Ox

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Mar 27 2008 9:05:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Paula, i had not read Winston's response carefully but now I see the answer is right there.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,207 posts in 50,139 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10