(3 posts)
  1. pumpkinpie84

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Apr 3 2016 20:11:17
    #

Login to Send PM

All,

I will be traveling to my grandma's house. I will only bring a duffle bag, and inside it I will have enclosed my belongings in big ziplocks. (She does NOT have bedbugs).

I do not want to bring budbugs from the airport to my grandma's house. I have 3 questions:

1) Do you recommend I dry the duffle bag as soon as I get to my grandma's to kill any bedbugs?

2) Do I need to sanitize the outside of my big ziplock bags, such as with 90% alcohol, in case any bed bugs got inside the duffle and onto the ziplocks?

3) What other measures should I take to prevent bringing bedbugs to her house?

Thanks!

2. idkbutfreakingout

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2016 0:02:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I just travelled and i packed everything straight from my dryer into dried backpacks and straight into large ziplocs.
    When you get your bag at the airport, I would put it straight into a clean garbage bag to take to Grandma's and then definitely put it all through the dryer on arrival as well and then put right back in the ziplocs and keep it in there.
    I also bought only new books for the trip (also in ziplocs) and wiped down phones and ipads etc with alcohol and put them into ziplocs as well before leaving.
    I wiped down all the zippers and anything else I could with alcohol before leaving.
    Maybe run your shoes through the dryer before you leave as well, just to be safe?

You can only do your best. The fact that you are taking as much precaution as you can is great.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Apr 4 2016 1:27:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Personally, I would not dry the duffel at grandma's house.

I am not an expert but while there may be some risk, I suspect your duffel is not at very serious risk en route. Suitcases sitting side by side in a baggage hold with no people present don't offer a great attraction to any bed bugs which might have hitched a ride in someone else's bag.

I'd be more worried about luggage sitting in a potentially infested place like a hotel room.

That said, a duffel can be dried in a dryer, so if it makes you feel better, go for it. Hopefully your grandmother won't have to worry about it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982