Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Due for post-treatment inspection, and I just found a bed bug!

(7 posts)
  1. buggybuggita

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 25 2013 1:12:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I've lurked for months, but decided to make an account tonight. I'm so upset. My partner and I have been treated for bed bugs three times (one heat treatment, two chemical treatments) within the last month. We were treated what we were told was a minor infestation (which we likely got from a nearby tenant) after he found a bed bug crawling on our comforter at 3 AM. We followed the instructions given to us to a T. Tonight, I noticed our cat staring intently at our couch... and realized that he was staring at what I believe was a bed bug crawling along the bottom of one of the cushions. I stabbed it with a pin and put it in a Ziploc bag for the inspector to look at. I woke my partner up and showed him, and he's convinced that the bug is too long to be a bed bug... but I think he's in denial.

I'm devastated. We thought that we were a success story: neither of us had anymore bites, and we didn't see signs of anything amiss until tonight. This has cost us hundreds of dollars already from laundry, bed bug protectors for our bed, and boarding our cat during treatment, and now we're facing even more psychological and financial anxiety from more prospective treatment.

Does anybody have any advice? I'm at my wit's end and I can't sleep. I'm just relieved that we found it on our couch, and not our bed (which is hopefully still safe).

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 25 2013 1:49:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Have attached neighbors on all sides, above and below, been professionally inspected? If not, then this is the next step. If you have infested attached neighbors, a treatment may be fully successful but that won't stop more bed bugs from coming in.

Some questions:

When you say "heat treatment", what was done?

If you live in a rental, has the landlord been involved?

If in a co-op or condo, have you involved the association?

If in a rowhouse, you may need to talk to the neighbors. (Someone here last week seems to be having a good experience with that so far.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. buggybuggita

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 25 2013 10:46:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 8 hours ago  » 
    Have attached neighbors on all sides, above and below, been professionally inspected? If not, then this is the next step. If you have infested attached neighbors, a treatment may be fully successful but that won't stop more bed bugs from coming in.
    Some questions:
    When you say "heat treatment", what was done?
    If you live in a rental, has the landlord been involved?
    If in a co-op or condo, have you involved the association?
    If in a rowhouse, you may need to talk to the neighbors. (Someone here last week seems to be having a good experience with that so far.)

Hello,

Thank you for responding. Our landlord was very proactive when we first notified them, and they contacted an exterminator on our behalf, but it has been like pulling teeth to actually get information from them otherwise (i.e., we were given the wrong date for a treatment, and didn't find out until the morning of [which they fixed], we were hardly given any information for treatment prep from anybody and had to seek it ourselves).

Anyway, we had thermal remediation a few days after positive identification of a bed bug. Our landlord also had an exterminator inspect all surrounding apartments, with subsequent treatments of varying degrees if their inspection was positive or negative. Of course, they have an option to refuse, and I'm not sure if all of them were actually treated.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Aug 25 2013 23:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

That sounds pretty good. So the next step should be the PCO and landlord following up on this with neighbors and making sure everyone was inspected.

You should also consider whether it's possible someone in the home is bringing them in from somewhere.

I don't entirely buy the "right to refuse" idea. The landlord should look into that. I'm all for people's individual rights but if a building owner suspects a pest may be spreading from one unit to another, they surely have rights to inspect. To think of it another way, if water was coming through your ceiling, they'd have a plumber upstairs in no time.

I'd be very surprised if there were any laws preventing an owner from inspecting a rental unit, or treating if evidence is found that it's needed, at least with notice.

5. Nemo

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 26 2013 4:56:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I stabbed it with a pin and put it in a Ziploc bag for the inspector to look at. I woke my partner up and showed him, and he's convinced that the bug is too long to be a bed bug... but I think he's in denial.

Post a picture, maybe it's not a bed bug.

6. buggybuggita

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 26 2013 8:08:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 8 hours ago  » 
    That sounds pretty good. So the next step should be the PCO and landlord following up on this with neighbors and making sure everyone was inspected.
    You should also consider whether it's possible someone in the home is bringing them in from somewhere.
    I don't entirely buy the "right to refuse" idea. The landlord should look into that. I'm all for people's individual rights but if a building owner suspects a pest may be spreading from one unit to another, they surely have rights to inspect. To think of it another way, if water was coming through your ceiling, they'd have a plumber upstairs in no time.
    I'd be very surprised if there were any laws preventing an owner from inspecting a rental unit, or treating if evidence is found that it's needed, at least with notice.

Well, it is bed bugs again. Last night at 3 AM, I woke up itching. I took some Benadryl. When I came back to bed, I turned on the light, moved my pillow, and found a bed bug under it. My partner and I stripped the bed and didn't see any others, but we did notice 3 blood spots on his pillow; we don't know if he was bitten, or if I was (he doesn't react to bites, I react by itching first, and then I get welts later).

Pest control came by at 8 AM this morning. I sent my landlord an e-mail over the weekend, and they must have contacted them at that point. They confirmed that both bugs we found were bed bugs. We are supposed to go through 3 courses of treatment again (one heat, two chemical), starting this week. We expressed our concerns to both pest control and our landlord that we're possibly being reinfested from a nearby apartment; how can this still be happening if we washed and dried everything we own on high heat?! We threw every cloth item that we own (I actually mean every cloth item) into the washer and dryer when we were first treated. It wound up destroying some of our things, but we were so desperate to get rid of the bugs that it felt worth it to us.

To our knowledge, neither of us work jobs or go places where we'd be reinfesting our apartment. And we don't personally know other people who have or had an infestation.

7. buggybuggita

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Aug 26 2013 13:24:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh. Apparently, the PCO who stopped by our apartment this morning told my partner that every other apartment that was inspected was negative for bed bugs when we were first heat treated. So, either they didn't see them, or the other units really didn't have them.

What frustrates me is that a few months ago, the apartment below us did have bed bugs. Our inspection was initially negative. We were not treated due to a huge miscommunication fiasco. I wonder if we had the bugs all along, and they were missed on inspection.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula