Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug news and events

Dubious and Irresponsible Article in BROOKLYN MAGAZINE-6/02/14

(7 posts)
  1. bedbugsuptown

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 1 2015 13:11:11
    #

Login to Send PM

If you live in New York, you have a story about bedbugs. Hopefully, it isn’t your story. Hopefully, it’s just the story of a friend or an acquaintance. But no matter whose story it is, it pretty much goes like this: bedbugs were discovered, lots of money was spent, mattresses—and sometimes lives—were ruined. It’s a particularly New York-y story, if only because of how non-discriminatory bedbugs are. They infest the wealthiest and the poorest homes alike, destroying all sorts of people’s peace of mind, perhaps permanently. But guess what? Those days appear to be over. New York seems to have come to an end of its bedbug epidemic.

Via the New York Post, Manhattan’s reported incidents of bedbugs have dropped by over half: “according to the Department of Housing Preservation and Development, there have been 381 violations issued for bedbug infestations at rental buildings since October 2013, compared to 846 violations that were issued during the height of the epidemic during the 2010 fiscal year.” And the numbers are just as promising citywide, with violations down to only 2,268 as of October 2013 from 4,808 violations during the 2010 fiscal year.

An article from Brooklyn Magazine

[quote]Officials credit heightened bedbug awareness with the drop in violations, as well as an increased understanding in how to handle a bedbug outbreak should you be unfortunate enough to have one. Even companies whose main purpose is the eradication of bedbugs confirm that “the bedbug mania still exists but [they] barely find the creepy crawlers.” What does this mean for the average person then? Can we all go back to those halcyon days of yore, when we could rescue couches and mattresses off the streets without fear that they might be full of bedbugs? Sure, why not? Live dangerously. Chances are you’ll remain bedbug free and get a nice-enough, barely urine-soaked-at-all new piece of furniture. Congratulations, you guys. We survived the bedbug apocalypse intact. Well done.

Follow Kristin Iversen on twitter @kmiversen[

Is Kristin Iversen so naive as to believe that Brooklyn was designed in the feng shui way?

noun
    (in Chinese thought) a system of laws considered to govern spatial arrangement and orientation in relation to the flow of energy (qi), and whose favorable or unfavorable effects are taken into account when siting and designing buildings.

I found this a few days ago googling--is the bedbug epidemic in nyc waning. Granted Kristen Iverson appears to be a superficial poser and attention seeker based on her published profile w/picture:

kristin iversen
    @kmiversen
    weird, freudian, offensive | rim job conspiracy theorist facilitator | also editor @brooklynmag and @thelmagazine

brooklyn, ny
    Joined July 2012

I wish this article was laughable but it's not. I wish that it was written with tongue-in-cheek yet unless I don't get Ms. Iversen and something is going over my head--it's not. It just serves to anger me on so many levels. The statistics only indicate reported infestations. I'd like to see a statistical hypothesis
    gone through a hypothesis test on the statistics printed in this article.

Lets keep it simple. How many bedbug cases go reported/unreported--many are and many aren't. I'm not a professional in regards to statistics but I don't think that its entirely foolish to think that most of the statistics gathered by the Dept. Of Housing and Preservation are taken from the 311 calls that are made by people who have or even only suspect they have bedbugs. I just went on the bedbug registry and put in my buildings address and found 2 reported cases. Neither reflects my infestation because I never called because I'm rent controlled and with a story. But I did inform the adult son who was looking after the building in his fathers stead and paid for my own treatment with his knowledge.

How many Brooklynites or for that matter any one in the five boroughs and beyond who read this article and once upon a time didn't think twice about taking discarded furniture etc. from any neighborhood rich or poor will read this article then come across something deposited in the street and decide 'mine'!

It's winter and my landlord is here all winter, the ancient I can't wait until I see him to inquire about the 2 reports posted on the bb. registry. He'll likely deny it and I'll never know for sure. Could the registry get it wrong? I started checking every building on my block (which has a large empty building on it which therefore there was a skip in the odd numbers. Each and every building had 1 reported incident. Seemed a little too sequential.

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 1 2015 20:38:09
    #

Login to Send PM

To define the trends in bedbugs by reported cases is a slippery slope.
    People have been more careful about reporting hotels after several lawsuits, right?
    And, to be fair, there are cases of mididentification at hotels and elsewhere.

Education is important and this article was not educational.

Thanks for contributing to this site with your success story and common sense approach.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 2 2015 8:28:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Totally agree with you regarding the article. I recently moved into this apt which has bed bugs. In checking the city's site for violations and the bed bug registry prior to taking the apt and found no reports. In this time, there have been one other apt that's been treated but it was not reported. I reported to both regarding this apt but if I didn't do so, it would show like this bldg was bed bug free. People either don't know how to report or are too scared to report. The worst part is that then the landlord sends exterminators who don't know what they are doing so then the bugs spread to other apts. They also don't inform other neighboring tenants so that they can be inspected.

4. bedbugsuptown

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 2 2015 10:50:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sassy123,

To say signing a lease on a new apartment and moving in to find you have bed bugs is beyond the pale may not be an exaggeration.

The worst part is that then the landlord sends exterminators who don't know what they are doing so then the bugs spread to other apts. They also don't inform other neighboring tenants so that they can be inspected.

Sadly it happens. Lucky me--I knew two things. My landlord would do a DIY beginning with a roach bomb. My landlord would prefer and trust me to take care of this myself. I would guess this is a rare
    combination of integers.

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 2 2015 18:46:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear bbut,

Thanks for posting this topic.

There are various problems with such stories as they appear in the popular press which I commented on in another thread earlier today.

That people move into a previously infested unit only to subsequently discover a bed bug problem days, weeks or months later may be more common than folks might think. In fact, a call regarding such circumstances occurred earlier today.

As you might guess these folks are subject to horrible circumstances. Today's story included the person e-mailing photos of bed bugs which were "painted over" on the walls and ceilings of their apartment. While it may be difficult for folks to believe that anyone might or would purposefully "paint over" bed bugs in an apartment, the cases that find there way to folks such as myself are usually those which are "worst case scenario" type situations.

In the situation above the person is now living in a hotel while paying rent as per the apartment lease simultaneously.

The lesson learned is that prospective apartment renters need to become more aware and more carefully inspect the apartments they are considering prior to signing a lease and taking occupancy.

Another theme worth underscoring here is that we will likely never have a good handle on the overall incidence of bed bugs across all living units here in the US and this is so for a variety of reasons.

Hope this helps ! pjb

6. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 2 2015 19:53:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I would also add that I had taken over the lease of a tenant who was currently residing in the apt. Their reason for leaving was to rent a larger apt in the bldg. I believed that and rented the apt thinking that it was OK. In the future I will never take over any other tenants lease. These tenants and the super lied to my face and I believed them.

During this whole ordeal it really showed me the ugly side of humanity. When it comes to money people don't care. I really hope and pray they find the silver bullet for eradicating these bugs so that people like this stop profiting from peoples suffering.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 13:12:22
    #

Login to Send PM

That's an older article from June 2014 and it did follow from the NY Post article as bedbugsuptown pointed out. The authors unfortunately relied on 311 calls going down with respect to bed bugs and so, mistakenly, decided that infestations must be going down based on calls. Not good reporting in either case. I had emailed the authors but received no response. All the authors had to do was more research and not rely on complaint calls to see the reality of infestations.
    They should have logged onto bedbugger.com and read the forum postings.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,396 posts in 48,808 topics over 150 months by 21,434 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson