Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Dryer question

(5 posts)
  1. bugbuster

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2009 16:28:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I read the article on here where Dr. Potter says 5-10 mins on high for dry clothes is enough. Do we agree with that? Also, how do you dry your clothes on high heat without ruining them all?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2009 16:34:29
    #

Login to Send PM

My dry times are: If cloths are washed (wet)... Use the dryer until they dry, then run the dryer an additional 30 minutes. If cloths are clean: (dry) Run them for 45 minutes. Could be excessive based on what you hear.. But it works for me.

3. bugbuster

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2009 17:22:19
    #

Login to Send PM

And they just shrink?

4. BostonBugterfuge

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 31 2009 21:37:11
    #

Login to Send PM

People are shocked after reading how easy it is to kill bed bugs with temperature treatments. These pests are hardy but not invincible. They have evolved to function at room temperatures.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 31 2009 23:03:11
    #

Login to Send PM

BostonBugterfuge,

No one here is shocked that heat kills bed bugs. You should spend some time familiarizing yourself with our FAQs.

bugbuster,

Dr. Potter was talking about bed bugs and eggs in a dry sock. It was probably also not a packed load. It's worth keeping all this in mind.

Wet clothes take much longer.

Dry clothes on hot will probably be ok in less than the 45 minutes KQ recommends (I am basing this on Potter); lots of people probably prefer to be safe rather than sorry. With durable stuff (bedding, clothes that won't shrink), it's not a bad idea.

If clothing is sensitive, washing on cold, drying low (or drip drying) and then running the items through a Packtite might be an option (I'm assuming this won't shrink or harm them, though obviously, one never knows).

Some people are placing entire XL ziplocs containing stuff into the Packtite, so they gave me this idea, though I have not done it myself.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,225 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago