Dry ice bed bug trap

(7 posts)
  1. bittenkitten

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 8 2010 8:55:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Lacking visuals and bites, a growing mistrust of k9 detection companies, and general desperation, I am looking to construct Dr. Wang's carbon dioxide trap.

My dad has a ph.d in chemistry, and both my parents work in either mol bio/chem settings. Both have inspected the blueprint of the trap, and told me the risks were minimal. They deal with dry ice all the time in labs, but, this is a home setting, so they advised not to touch the dry ice without special gloves, and to keep it in a ventilated area. I'm getting dry ice from one of their labs.

My question is just how layman friendly is this thing? Has anyone tried to do it? Is there a better alternative? I'm considering paying ANOTHER k9 company to come, but unless someone produces a visual (or actually tries to find some), I feel like I will never know. My anxiety riddled mind is afraid this thing will blow up in my home (dry ice WILL expand if you don't open the spout of the thermos).

2. bedbugginNYC

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 8 2010 8:58:52
    #

Login to Send PM

A better alternative: Bed Bug Beacon.
    It's not ridiculously expensive, plus you won't risk hurting yourself or your home with a home made device.

Best of luck to you!

3. bittenkitten

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 8 2010 9:07:42
    #

Login to Send PM

After taking a look at this active trap, I feel like it would probably work best if I wasn't at home (as I give off much more CO2). Would the bed bug beacon work since I have a room mate? Wouldn't they just prefer him over the beacon?

4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 8 2010 9:21:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe Dr. Wang's trap had slightly better results than the Beacon. Both are reviewed at Jeff White's Bed Bug TV site. And both work best when no one is sleeping in the room. And that was my problem with either device because I didn't want to sleep in the living room and take the chance of spreading them. There are other active monitors using for example heat (bed bug dome?) but haven't seen them reviewd. Then there are passive monitors like Climb-Up Interceptors that are designed to work when you're sleeping in your bed. You could also try a passive monitor like BBAlert Passive that monitors for fecal matter and casings as well.

5. bittenkitten

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 8 2010 9:39:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I am planning to go ahead and try Dr. Wang's dry ice trap. In the video, Jeff White spent a good deal of time detailing precautions, and general liabilities with the trap, which is not only very responsible of him, but, made me wonder whether it is worth the worry/hassle.

Can the bed bug beacon by bought in a store in nyc? When will bed bath and beyond (my mecca) start carrying these things! Anyone I could buy it off of today?

If I do chose to go through with the CO2 device, I will make sure to outline to you guys how it went. But, has anyone on these boards actually used Dr.Wong's trap?

6. NewBlood

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 8 2010 14:45:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Bitten - I tried to assemble the trap (make it myself) and found it to be too expensive to operate for a 'cheap DIY' monitor. My problem was getting ahold of the dry ice that I would need in usable quantities - I could only find it in 10 lb bricks (I need 3 lbs of it) which would cost me $20.00 to pick up. The cost of running it for an entire two weeks straight would be $280.00 in my case. If you can acquire the dry ice cheaper (and still have enough to supply/run the trap overnight) you may have an easier time. I also do not possess a dry ice chest or freezer to store the ice - so I would be seeing it sublime in 24 hours as well. This means that I would need to drive out to the location to purchase it THAT DAY - during working hours - to get it. The ice cream shop that sells it near me (Jack & Jill) did offer to break it into smaller chunks - but couldn't promise they would fit into the cooler I picked up.

The materials itself were cheap to construct the physical trap but again - the costs of fueling the trap with the C02 needed to catch the bugs was the part that made it unaffordable for me.

Now Jeff pointed out that the DIY trap need not be run everyday in such a fashion - it can be run only three days or so at each 'room' to be searched. That would still cost me $120.00 - plus the costs of handling the dry ice and the trap materials itself (gloves, dish, tape, etc) and I would have to hope that I put it together correctly.

Finally - NOT finding bed bugs does NOT mean you don't have them in the trap. It MAY mean that no bugs were attracted to the trap, that none were hungry that day, or that it was constructed incorrectly. All monitors work this way in that regard - it is more information for you, and may help you rule them out, but no monitor works 100% of the time.

Anyway - after my cost analysis for the dry ice I believed that the Nightwatch was a better deal if I was to purchase a monitor for more than two weeks of use. With the arrival of the Bed Bug Beacon though I would leap at the opportunity to purchase it instead - since it has promising tests and is even cheaper - it is almost the cost of the DIY Dry Ice trap itself.

7. bittenkitten

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 8 2010 15:56:43
    #

Login to Send PM

NewBlood- I agree completely. My parents have daily access to a lab (they work in one), and the dry ice canisters are always full, and they have numerous thermoses lying around. It is very easy for them to fill one before going home. And, it is free.

As for myself, I currently caught a bed bug, and have it stored in a zip lock bag.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982