Dry Cleaner on UWS (NYC) for Bedbugs?

(9 posts)
  1. KK131313

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 10:16:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Just got confirmation from a PCO that I have bedbugs, and am trying to get used to the fact that I probably have a TON of clothing that needs to be dry cleaned (plus comforters, etc etc).

Can anyone recommend a good dry cleaner on the Upper West Side of Manhattan that is understanding and effective about dealing with bed bugs?

Thank you so much.

2. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 14:51:51
    #

Login to Send PM

If you're going to be dry cleaning a lot of things at significant expense, would it make sense instead to put that $$ towards acquisition of a PackTite, either original version or the recently-introduced PackTite Closet.

That way the funds you're putting out will be a long-term investment rather than a one-time cost.

(If you order via one of the PackTite advertisements here on bedbugger.com, that will generate a commission to help run the site.)

3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 15:08:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I find I like to put clean things in...you can "bake in" a smell (faint but there).

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 15:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I find I like to put clean things in...you can "bake in" a smell (faint but there).

?

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 21:07:19
    #

Login to Send PM

1. If you're not imminently moving, not all exterminators require "cleaning" everything. In fact, come leading experts (like Jeff White) indicate that the "wash everything" protocol is counterproductive. (Google bed bug central TV episode 50 on preparations. It's on youtube). Confirm with your pco if it's really necessary.

2. Clean items can be pack-tighted or even run through a warm dryer (140F). As noted above, "baking" dirty items risks setting in stains and odors.

3. There's a dry cleaner that advertises on this and other bed bug related sites that they do bed bug special treatment. That said, I suspect that a lot of cleaners just use this as a pretext to charge you extra, that a lot of people with bed bugs are just taking their things to the cleaners and either not realizing they have BB or not saying that they have BB.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 8 2011 21:35:26
    #

Login to Send PM

To weigh in on the whole dry cleaner situation, I found another thread on here where someone (one of the experts I think) that recommended calling dry cleaners before taking your stuff anywhere. I wish I could remember what that was but they said it was a good idea because a) you can check to see they know what they are doing and b) it gives the dry cleaners a chance to let you know the best way to bring stuff to them.

I had a small amount of stuff to get cleaned and called a few places. All of them except one pretty much said "Yeah, so? We will dry clean it." The one exception listened to me and explained how they wanted it bagged (double bagged, taped shut) and when I got there it turned out the owner's kids had brought bugs home from vacation once. It was good knowing that this place knew what they were dealing with, just like anyone else you work with when you are battling these bugs.

7. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2011 0:43:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I used the cleaners that Cilecto is referencing. You can read about my experiences here under the laundry tag.

Basically, I'm pretty pleased with the condition of items received from them. They did an excellent job actually cleaning and taking care of special needs items like my elderly baby blanket. The dry-cleaned items looked really good. The way they were sent to me was worrisome. It was not doublebagged or sealed. Though a few bags were tightly tied off and probably would have been fine if I were less anxious. I was forced to bag the items I receive back from them and just wear them. (I didn't have a packtite yet.). I had no problems with those. I would say if you could receive them and properly bag and store them, you'd be fine.

I worried about baking in smells or stains, but so far Ive been able to remove those in the next cleaning. Theoretically, both could be sealed into a fiber by heat.

8. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2011 12:18:19
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc - 21 hours ago  » 

theyareoutthere - 2 minutes ago  » 

?

Ah...you're saying you like to put clean things in, as opposed to dirty things or things that have a stain in them or a smelly substance or whatever, since you can "bake in" the dirt or the stain or the smell.

(You weren't saying you can "bake in" a clean smell...that's what threw me.)

9. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2011 12:49:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I've added the laundry tag to this post if you want to look through those for suggestions or more detail about my experience & conversations with the cleaners.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993