Drowning eggs, Ozone treatment

(5 posts)
  1. bb2u

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 11:38:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you drown a BB egg? I was experimenting last night with a few nymphs and adults I caught and they do drown after a few minutes under the water (room temperature water). Hot water from the tap seemed to kill them instantly but this is not reliable as everyone's hot water heater is set a little different. Still, heat is good.

But water could be another option for quick eradication of clothing without having to wash it or use a hot dryer. For poor people this is good. Just throw stuff in the bathtub or large container, fill it up with water of any temperature and use a mesh or screen with some weight to push the items under the surface. Milk crates work too. Of course you have to make sure there are no air pockets in the stuff! before weighing it down! But I have no idea if this will kill bed bug eggs. Where can I find info on bed bug eggs and how to kill them (besides gas and high heat - both very expensive.)

As an aside I have found bed bugs from the size of a pinhead to full size adults all over my place but not a single egg or nest. This is worrying as I have no idea where they are breeding. I sleep on an airbed on the floor and intend to raise that up with protectors on the legs to isolate myself.

I have an Alpine XL-15 ozone generator (moderately powerful for home use but by no means a pro unit) and put some bed bugs in an uncapped bottle inside the unit, put the unit in a plastic bag and turned it on at the highest level. Left it for a few minutes. They were kind of stunned but in a few hours they seemed to be fine. That must have been a very high concentration of ozone because it was in such a small space. But granted it was only for a few minutes. I should try it for longer. Ozone does damage some materials though. But I wonder if one used ozone along with heat, maybe you wouldn't have to use such a high level of heat. Ozone costs very little to produce in terms of energy whereas high heat is extremely costly to generate.

2. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 11:40:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes indeed you need to find where they are laying their eggs and living.

I was told that they would just become engorged with the water and then excrete it..not sure which is true so I just go with hot water and hot dry cycle to be sure.

3. bb2u

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 19:01:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: I found that they did come back alive after "drowning" for a few minutes but after an hour they haven't come back. I'm not sure how long it takes to be sure. But I tried 1 hour underwater and with some others it was 2 hours. Its been a couple of hours and they are all inactive so far but I'll watch them for a day or so.

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 30 2010 20:39:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Please do not attempt to use Ozone, the levels needed to get to a lethal dose for bedbugs is far beyond what is safe for humans.

The subject of industrial Ozone generation comes up from time to time and a few people who work in the mould industry have tried things on bedbugs but non have yet been able to produce a scientific assessment to support the claims, the websites all seem to disappear quickly as well.

With regards drowning eggs the hard part is getting all the air out of the fibres, the only effective methods I know are sonication and that has too great a cost and risk to be viable.

Hot wash, or hot dry or PackTite are your best options.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

5. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 31 2010 0:52:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I found some eggs in a chair join and brushed them very carefully out into a cup of water diluted amonia with a cheap art-painting brush. Also treated the nests with Amonia the same way. Its probably not incredibly effective, but it might be an addendum to chemical sprays, as I have read that they are drawn back to poop-nests. Eliminate the nest, they might have more of a chance of crossing poison. Or I might just be spreading them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991