Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Dr. says bites and can anyone ID these bugs?

(6 posts)
  1. Notsolucky

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 13:05:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Well got into 2nd dermatologist yesterday who confirmed the first and says that these things "looked like bites to him" and based on the history and length of time they take to go away felt they were but again no one can say for sure. He indicated a skin scraping could be done within 24 hrs so if I can get in within 24 hrs ie IF its not on a weekend and IF they can squeeze me in they MAY be able to determin whether it is an insect bite. Meanwhile I'm amassing an insect collection(we have about 8 insects now) on the glue boards and sticky tape none of which are bedbugs. Most look innocuous ie the odd spider, moth but 3 of the bugs look interestingly enough like little tiny minature bees(can only see them under strong magnification or using macro on the camera) and they have all strangely been found on the glue boards overnight in our bedroom, and I'm wondering if they could be the biting culprit. What is very odd is that we have central A/c, and never leave any windows open so I cant figure out where they are coming from other than our AC maybe?? I'm going to send the glue bds to Dr. Pollack at Harvard but he's away for a number of weeks now so if anyone could id(and tell me if any bite) from these(not the best photos) I'd appreciate it. One is a rather beautiful bug which I'm sure is not related but I thought the entomologists might enjoy it My Flickr website is http://www.flickr.com/photos/luckybee13/
    Thanks all

2. Livingagain

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 14:01:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Look like some of the ones we've been getting, but who knows.

3. nightshirt

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 15:09:20
    #

Login to Send PM

the actual bug does not resemble a bb to me but the bites do but bb bites resemble many types of bites.

4. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Aug 9 2008 11:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Notsolucky, if none of the professionals or entos respond to you next week based on these photos, you should call the universities in your area to see if they have an entomology department that can help you ID these bugs. You shouldn't have to wait for a Harvard ID.

Also, and this is just a political aside: Dr. Pollack's lab receives all these non-bedbug samples from people and then he uses this knowledge, that people send him samples that are not bedbugs, to claim that most people don't have bedbugs (this is questionable reasoning) and are in the grip of bedbug hysteria. He then makes all kinds of horrible statements in the press. These statements increase the stigma, downplay the extent of the problem, and are borderline offensive. If we all used local identification services--where possible, I know it's sometimes not feasible--instead of Harvard, we could make our local entomologists and professionals aware of the extent of the problem. And we might deprive one scientist of the opportunity to talk trash. I know this is a lot to ask, so I'm not asking really, I'm just ranting.

5. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Aug 10 2008 0:53:34
    #

Login to Send PM

None of the bugs in those pictures is a bed bug. None of them appear to be biting insects. There are some fruit flies, a beetle, and a spider (might bite but not likely; and not in any great number).

Sean
    Entomologist / Pest Professional
    http://www.thebedbugreosurce.com

6. Notsolucky

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Aug 10 2008 1:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Sean...I knew they were not BB's but I was really hoping that anyone could be the biting culprit type then we would have solved the issue. It's the not knowing that is way too much of a pain in the ---.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982