Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Down to bites only on sofa. Recommendations?

(18 posts)
  1. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Feb 18 2009 17:33:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Most of you know I am in my 13th month of treatment. We have done it all including Thermal. Did not Vikane as they would not do my home. So, We have had no bites anywhere since our last thermal in late December. EXCEPT, my sister has fallen asleep on the sofa twice in the past four weeks. Both times she got a bite. Only one. She has had no bites in the chair right next to the sofa. So, two bites in four weeks on the sofa while sleeping. It is newer and I have salvaged it for this long, I would like to continue to salvage it. Does anyone have a suggestion for treatment of what I feel is a lingering rogue BB. I am waiting for answers here before I drag it to the fire pit to burn. I reallllllly don't want to do that though.

2. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Feb 18 2009 21:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

13th month of treatment!!!!!!!!!! Oh my god!!!!!! That is horrible.......I just joined this site so sorry I'm not familiar with your story. After 13 months I think I would go out of my mind and trash everything. Are you sure it's a bb bite? What kind of couch?

3. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 18:49:21
    #

Login to Send PM

There are lots of us here with 1-2 years of bb infestation. You newbites are in for an education to say the least. My experience was more of a rude awakening, and I learned to trust the advice of certain people on this site who have facts, not speculation. I snubbed some of the early advice thinking, oh no, that would never happen to me, my pco told me to do this and that. Well, pco's a grossly mis-informed, imo, in most areas as the bb problem is relatively ew. As a result, I had problems. Now, I run everything the so called local professionals tell me by the real professionals on the forum, and I get the real tried and true facts.

I have a regular Lazyboy sofa. That's it, nothing special, just like in most home in the US, a couch.

4. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 20:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Some of us PCO's try pretty damn hard. Can the fabric be removed on the bottom of the sofa to gain access to the insides?
    P.S. I know many people with BB problems that have gone on for years....I was trying to show a little sympathy. And I've seen thousands of bed bug problems and attended every pest control seminar I could for the last 12 years.

5. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2009 20:45:29
    #

Login to Send PM

As far as sofas go there are many kinds: sleeper sofas, leather, different kinds of fabrics, metal frames, wood frames, etc. etc. etc.
    I was just trying to help no reason to be a wiseass

6. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 0:21:39
    #

Login to Send PM

BostonPCT - 3 hours ago  » 
    As far as sofas go there are many kinds: sleeper sofas, leather, different kinds of fabrics, metal frames, wood frames, etc. etc. etc.
    I was just trying to help no reason to be a wiseass

Boston, that was uncalled for. I think if you re-read the comments you will see that there was no "wiseass" intent there.

I'm sure that Nobugs will agree that there are often people who come on the forums, post like crazy for a little while and then leave.

Sounds like you have lots of experience and could be an asset to the community so I hope you stick around.

With friendship,
    Tony Canevaro

7. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 6:26:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds a little wise to me Tony.....
    "So called proffesionals"
    "PCO's are grosly misinformed"

8. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 9:30:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Didn't mean to offend anyone and my post isn't exactly harsh. I plan on sticking around tony. If u read some of my other posts I'm clearly giving my best info and trying to help. I may be new to this site but I have been helping others on many other sites for years. If someone doesn't like my posts its easy enough to just ignore them. No need to imply that I'm an idiot because I asked what type of couch he had or to imply pco's are "so called pro's." It matters greatly what type of sofa it is and there are THOUSANDS of types of sofas in the us from pullouts to futons to regular lazyboy sofas and they come in many fabrics and metals and woods. Not to mention that the average cost of treatment where I live is equal to the cost of most sofas. I have a company that can fumigate certain sofas and have done so with great results for me in the past. I am happy to leave and post elsewhere if I have offended somebody. I didn't realize that because I posted a lot and have newbite next to my name I'm in for an eyeopening on bedbugs.... I guess my social status on this forum is not up to par so I apologize to aballen and will be sure to keep my posts away from his. Thanks and again I apologize.

9. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 10:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Boston,
    Once again, you are coming off as overly defensive.

Electronic communication is difficult, at best, when it comes to conveying meaning. Like you, I've spent a lot of time on electronic forums. Perhaps a thicker skin and clarifying someone's intent before becoming offended would help.

Sent with sincere best intentions,
    Tony Canevaro

10. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 10:34:20
    #

Login to Send PM

aballen,
    ACK! I can not believe what you have been through! I can not remember, but can you get a dog through to see where any might still be hiding besides sofa? If it is only the sofa, can you get rid of it? I know sofa's can be expensive, but maybe it is time to toss it? I can see your thoughts though, after 2 thermal treatments, it would seem none should be alive.
    Another possibility, is there any chance that your sister could be so sensitive to them that the dead ones in the sofa, maybe she is reacting to their presence? Maybe a cast skin or dead one caused her skin to react? I know that is a long shot, but I'm putting on my tin foil thinking hat (the official bedbugger one) and that is all I can come up with.
    You have my sympathy. (((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))

And BostonPCT one thing to remember around here, is that the people in the middle of this nightmare, sometimes our emotions are a bit fragile. Aballen has been through so much, and her nerves are frayed. Her comments about incompetent PCO's, well there are incompetent PCO's, I have met a few too, were not directed at you. We know that there are highly competent, caring and wonderful PCO's, but they are few and far between. WE have some wonderful ones on this board, and we are glad. We are glad you are here, sufferers do appreciate expert advice. Just remember that sometimes we are fragile, tired and exhausted and we do vent our emotions here, we just are not venting them at you or the other PCO's, just the whole situation in general. Again, glad you are here.

11. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 10:47:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Again....my apologies...

12. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 12:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

This weekend I will try to write about some of the frustrations from a pco's viewpoint so you guys can get a feel for what's its like for us. P.s. I jusy left a house with a baby in her crib with love bedbugs in it. She is covered in bites. I went out last week, agter hours and unpaid, to go over treatment and prep work and when I showed up not one thing had been done. Npthing. Nothing
    The mother fully expected me to get rid of the bed bugs. When I left without doing anything she called my company to complain, her landlord to complain and boston inspectional services to complain. I should mention she was also not willing to leave or have her baby leave. That's 4 hours I won't be gettimg paid for. Frustrated? This happens at least once a day and I'm not making this up. frustration happens to us ad much as you guys so please accept my apologies and I don't mean to come off bitter I'm just not a good writer. But I am a good bbkiller

13. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 12:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

BostonPCT,
    Wow, that truly stinks how you got treated! I'm sorry that happens so often, I had no idea. It does not surprise me though, I don't think there is enough public education by the govt to let people know how serious this battle is (or how much diligence is required by the tenant/homeowner,etc). I soooooooooo understand their is another side to the story, and it is obvious by your postings that you DO care, and you are competent. It is good for us to remember that the PCO's are people too, dealing with stressed out people who are battling a terrible enemy. Thanks for shedding light on your day, and just so you know, I was not in any way criticizing you, only letting you know that we can sometimes be a bit "frustrated" when we post here. I am glad their are competent, caring PCO's or we would be sunk in this battle

14. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 13:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

BostonPCT: what a crappy situation you had to deal with! You sound like a decent, responsible, helpful pco. Some people seem to think you just wave a magic wand and that's all you have to do. It's nice that you did your best.

Re: aballen - I can understand their frustration, having had them for almost a year at my workplace (not at my apt). I was on the edge of a massive breakdown for a loooong time and only now do I feel a tiny bit better. Try not to take things too personally here, it can drain even the strongest person fighting for so long and fray more than a few nerves.

Anyway Kudos to you for handling it with honesty and good grace, speaks volumes about a person.

15. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 15:41:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry everyone.... bad week of bed bugs for this PCO.

16. yenko133

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 17:17:19
    #

Login to Send PM

To treat the sofa , Vacuum then spray with Bedlam or steri fab or 91% alcohol dont be shy soak it, make sure you open the fabric on the bottom and spray in every inch and tuck,You might have to drill 2 inch holes in the wooden frame on the sides to gain access, After it dries spray a residual insecticide only on the inside again dont be shy you arent eating this sofa , let that sit for a day then dust it with DE all over except the top , Repeat this 2 weeks later and you should be ok , I had luck with this , I used a steamer the second time , But the BB were gone on the first treatment , If there is a carpet you have to treat that too same for a wooden floor or this wont work they will stay in the floor near the sofa .

17. aballen

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2009 21:31:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Boston, I by no means meant to infer incompetence to a particular PCO, but, lets face it, there are alot of them around. I don't know how long you have been reading here since you just recently joined, but I have been through alot. We travel globally and brought the BB home. I have been getting treatment for 13 months! If I had had a competent PCO, or should I say PCO's, I don't think I would have suffered that long, do you? I hope you turn out to be a valuable asset here, we can always use another. There are several very knowledgable PCO's and other treatment providers here, I would never be a wiseass to those who have helped me so much, or a wiseass in general. I did not deserve that comment. Apology accepted. And, I too look forward to hearing from the PCO's perscective, that will be interesting, as I have been totally compliant with everything I have been instructed to do. One of the first things I read here over a year ago was "Do everything you PCO tells you to do" and that stuck with me. But, if you have never had BB on your body and loved ones, you still can't understand how horrible it is, no matter how hard your job is. I am a Probation Officer and have been for 29 years and still can't figure out why someone gets out of prison and sticks a needle in their arm to shoot heroin the first day out. Its my job to rehabilitate them, I know they have a disease, but can't totally understand it. See my point?

18. robertjayn

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 17 2010 0:42:54
    #

Login to Send PM

They generally stay in mattresses, [URL="http://www.sofasinstock.co.uk"]Sofa[/URL], and other furniture. It's recommended that you contact a pest control center to have them come do the job, rather than trying it yourself. Spraying various chemicals around your sleeping areas can be hazardous to the health of you and your pets that may sleep in the area.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,657 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982