Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Double Whammy

(15 posts)
  1. noway

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 9 2009 19:52:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone else have this problem? With the colder weather, my skin gets dry and itchy. If I use any sort of moisturizer, bath oil, even baby lotion near pre-existing bites, they get bigger, itchier, longer lasting, scab funny and take forever to heal. So. I'm itchy from bites and itchy from dry skin... what to do?

2. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2009 0:20:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the same reation your are speaking of and I have bites that are not healed after a month. I have seen a dermotologist and without paying a huge amount of money recommened taking baths with Aveno for sensative skin but don't use really hot water and apply some good old polysprorin to make sure there is not infection. It has sure helped with the itch and the swelling is going down and they are starting to heal. I can't have a good soak everyday so I bought the Aveno soap for the shower. But still dot the bite with polysporin.

3. noway

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2009 18:13:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply. Flabergasted. I will try that. I've just been trying to take very short, lukewarm showers and use lotion where I don't have bites. My bites take at least a month to heal, but usually stop itching after a couple days if I haven't gotten lotion on them. Thanks

4. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2009 18:21:16
    #

Login to Send PM

hi noway

have you tried taking claritin? it works for some folks, not for others. it seemed to work for me-when i was getting the big blistery bites a few weeks ago, daily claritin reduced the swelling/itching a bit. also for wintry skin - gold bond lotion but NOT on the bites is my best friend for itchy dry skin <chicago winters = itchy dry skin roughly 5 months a year. blech>. bonus is that its cheap too.
    hope you feel better

5. meremortal

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2009 18:43:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure how to link the thread, but please look under the forums for "glycerol as an attractant". May explain the increase in bites. I had noticed a certain lotion seemed to make me a little tastier to our vampire friends...until I saw this post and checked the ingredients: glycerol was the second ingredient! Just a thought...

6. noway

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2009 21:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi wchicago - claritin does nothing for my sinus allergies, so I haven't tried it for bites. Last month I was taking Benadryl for a head cold - doesn't work either, but knocks me unconscious so I can sleep - and the bites were at their worst back then. I might try the Gold Bond.
    meremortal - I don't mean that I'm getting more bites, just that they are itchier and last longer. Bites that are days old look like fresh bites. I keep a bite journal to keep on top of this- how sad is that? : ( Though if glycerol is an attractant, that sure makes sense!
    Thanks to both of you for your replies...

7. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2009 23:13:30
    #

Login to Send PM

wchicago we have the same problem here with winter and the dry itch it really seems to iratate the healing bites the scabbing is worse. That is why the Dr. recomended soaking in the tub.

I have all been reading diatary ways to introduce skin essentials into my body. Salmon is an excellent source to rehydrates the body and all the fruit and vegetables you can eat just watch the sugar in the fruits. I know since this started I have been eating poorly because I just haven't had an appetite but I am now making myself maybe we are adding to our misery with the healing.

8. twitchyscratchy

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2009 23:26:05
    #

Login to Send PM

try taking a warm, not hot, bath with a little cloth sack (or even a clean sock) filled with a 1/2 cup rolled oats or quick oats. it really soothes the skin. you may also want to try sweet almond oil as a moisturizer.

hope you feel better.

9. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 10 2009 23:46:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Twitchyscrachy good idea if you can't get Aveno it is made from oatmeal and we all know and oatmeal makes an excellent facemask to clean impurites.

10. noway

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2009 20:09:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your replies,twitchyscratchy and flabergasted. I am going to try the Aveeno. I use lavendar oil, but can't use it on the bites. I feel like I'm doing paint by numbers or something! A dab here, oh, skip there it's a bite, OK, a little more here.. My diet is a very healthy vegetarian one, supplemented with flax seed oil.
    stupid bugs.....

11. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 11 2009 21:35:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't have a big problem with my bites, but I have very fair, very sensitive skin that's generally extra sensitive.

Whenever I have any skin issue that isn't healing, super dry skin, or something I'm afraid will scar, I put pure vitamin E on it. It's sticky as all get out, so it lasts longer than most other moisturizers (the only thing that stays in place longer is Burt's Bees Lemon Cuticle Cream, but it's not as good for open sores, like a scratched bug bite--it's better for really dry cuticles).

It doesn't sting and seems to provide moisture even after several hand washings. A friend of mine was told to use it on her scars after a car accident.

12. noway

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 12 2009 16:32:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Burt's Bees everything is the best!

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 12 2009 16:46:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anyone with some chemistry knowledge (I have none) confirm whether a substance with the second word GLYCOL is related to glycerol?

Thanks

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. noway

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 12 2009 17:48:15
    #

Login to Send PM

15. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 12 2009 17:54:37
    #

Login to Send PM

The Aveeno is working good in the bath the polysporin has stopped any potential infection but was not healing the bite you need steril coverage to make it work. The only good thing is have no infection from scratching.

I wished I had started reading all Dr Lou's info sooner beyond what to look for on when trying to find the infestation followed the links I still can't believe any would allow themself to be biten like that!! even in the name of science. For the last two days I am trying "Tea Tree Oil" directly on the bite right after my bath (yes I making time for it) and it is working like a charm , the bites now look like specks.

I reasearcehd Tea Tree Oil and have one of the purest form available for topical use and it comes from Australia have been buy it at the local health food for years store it is 36% Terpine-4-0l. I had a bottle in my house the whole time for I can't use insect replents it drive my skin nuts.

I am playing dab dab here and a dab dab there the scabs are almost gone and the new bites look like a fleck of pepper not sure what it will do for the scars. I got introdues to this stuff 15 years ago from an cosmetologist (smart girl) after I did a face plant tobogganing with the kids healed. It healed my face in 4 days no scars . I'll keep you posted so far so good. But be warned it doesn't smell great.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,768 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah