Dormant?

(8 posts)
  1. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 5:48:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, so here's my story. I had bedbugs the summer of 2009. I had my apt treated and retreated every two weeks for 4 months even though there were no signs after the 2nd treatment. No signs of any infestation since. Still get routine sprays every other month, just in case.

Fast forward to April 2011. Bedbugs gone, but paranoia still high. Have a severe allergic reaction to something and my right forearm blows up. It's huge and itches and hurts like hell. It actually caused the muscle to swell and hurt and I had some joint pain in my elbow and wrist. When the swelling finally went down I noticed that I had multiple bites (maybe 5-7) like when I had bedbugs. I was super allergic to bedbugs, but NEVER anything close to that bad. Just big red welts. Never severe swelling like that

Mid May 2011. One morning wake up early because I realize I'm scratching myself. I find I have 4-5 bites on my neck and two on my inner thigh. Then find a bedbug crawling on my sheets. It's unfed which is great, but horrifying because that means it's not the one that bit me.

Tonight. Arm starts itching. I ignore it because I get paranoid and I have heat trigger urticaria. See something moving out of the corner of my eye. Bedbug. I snag it and smush it out of rage. Also unfed. But my arm has a small raised spot that has now already turned into a big (maybe 3 inches across) welt.

I figure let me go to sleep and see if it's still there when I wake up. Can't sleep and now I think I have phantom itching on my eyelid. Oh wait. Another bedbug that escapes and four huge bumps. Two on my eyelid and two under my eye.

When I had bedbugs two summers ago I had many bites, but they usually didn't start itching until I took a shower the next night and the reaction wasn't as strong. I had to work really hard to find the buggers. After bagging and turning my apt upside down I was able to only find 5 bugs and all from searching. Now they're out and roving. Crawling around while I am awake.

Now I know that no one can answer this for certain, but here are my questions. Do I have a new infestation or just a couple of rogue bugs? (Don't worry I've already set up another apt with the PCO). Or was it a resurgence of the old one and I should be seeking a new PCO? Is it possible that I've become even more allergic to bedbugs? Should I see a doctor? And is it possible that I got bit by one bug that disappeared before I saw it and then there just so happened to be an unfed one crawling on my bed? ARGH.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 5:53:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

From the outline of the facts and the level of your reaction I would say that its most likely that you have come back into contact with a source of bedbugs and this is a fresh infestation.

In my experience bedbugs do not go dormant if there is a source of food in the property, they will move to seek it out if needed but certainly if you remain in the same room they will feed when possible.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 6:08:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Helpful, but stressful. The only thing I can think is that I still have 2 plastic bags that had been unopened since the original infestation. I opened them several months ago, and perhaps they had some bedbugs that managed to successfully go dormant for two years. They were opened several months ago and also located in my bedroom. But argh. Thanks for your input.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 6:31:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If there was more than 2 weeks between opening and getting bitten I would suggest that contact with a source again is more likely to be what is going on, especially if the bags were sealed for 2 years.

Sources for bedbugs can be varied and difficult to pin down at times, a lot of my work focusing on trying to identify the source on each case because not topping up the infestation is an essential feature of our approach to control.

Hope that helps.

David

5. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 7:32:54
    #

Login to Send PM

AbbyNormy@gmail.com - 1 hour ago  » 
    ... I had bedbugs the summer of 2009. I had my apt treated and retreated ...

Since you say you're in an apartment, the explanation for your new bb's could be exceedingly simple which is that they may have arrived from a neighboring apartment.

6. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 12:12:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think it's from the other apt. To be clear I live on the 2nd floor of a two family house. I am friendly with my LL who lives downstairs and also had his place treated.

Also, definitely more than 2 weeks between opening bags and bites.

A little concerned because the reactions were so much worse this time (waking up with my left eye swollen shut).

I did start a new job at the end of March and got my first bite in April. Here's hoping my work isn't infested.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 12:14:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It may not be your office but I would certainly review your commute route and take precautions.

David

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 23 2011 14:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Abby, please see your email!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82