Don't throw them out!!!

(15 posts)
  1. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 20 2010 17:44:55
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a public service announcement!! If you find what you think is a bed bug do not throw it out, do not flush it down the toilet, do not squash it and assume reddish means blood, do not throw it out the window. Save the sucker for PROPER identification. That is all!

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 21 2010 22:48:24
    #

Login to Send PM

"PROPER identification" Can you define that please?

This just in to our news room: Why was KillerQueen off on Saturday?

Because some poor lady who found bugs in her bed .. then took them to the pest control joint up the road from her house, positive ID of bed bugs and now freaked out. Searches the net, finds me, tells me she confirmed Bed Bugs with the PCO company in Clinton Hill.

She sends her 1 and 4 year old to Pennsylvania for the week to prep the house for the Queens treatment, spends 2,000 in dry cleaning, (not my recommendation) and God knows what else in ziplocs and other stuff.

I show up at 9AM, we talk, I can't get over how much stuff she bagged, I can't see the floor lol. Well, she was just about to leave and tells me, oh, these are the bugs I found during my prep work and these are the bugs the company up the road ID'ed.

Yes folks they were immature German Cockroaches .. Inspected the three beds .... nothing!
    No Bed Bugs ... out a ton of money, family displaced, and the house an absolute wreck!

The 2 good things were she did not have bed bugs .. and I got to eat with my family that night.

3. WGarrow

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 21 2010 23:20:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Although it didn't work for the previous poster's friend, it is a good idea to save the specimen. Try not to smash it into oblivion. Keep an empty prescription pill bottle or jar handy to capture it alive if necessary. 99% of pest control technicians should be able to at least say if it is a bed bug or not.

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 8:26:59
    #

Login to Send PM

WGarrow, Are you in the business?

5. WGarrow

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 9:08:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi KillerQueen,
    I am studying to go into the business. I am by no means an expert yet.

My previous post on this topic was motivated by my sister's experience. She saw a small bug on her bed and immediately flushed it down the toilet. She then declared she had bed bugs and was in an absolute tizzy over it. A professional came in to do an inspection and found no signs of bed bugs. If my sister had saved the specimen, I could have at least said yes or no to whether it was a bed bug.

It's a shame your friend had a scary experience. A PCO should know what a bed bug looks like. I'm glad you helped your friend.

6. Jacksfullofaces

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 9:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

First time we spotted bugs I commanded my husband to capture them live for identification.
    Jacks

7. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 9:12:02
    #

Login to Send PM

She was not a friend, she was a client. I'm in the business.

Good Luck to you with the future business.

8. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Aug 25 2010 22:32:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to bump this up because if anyone read what I posted above .. I just wanted to point it out again.

Yes, the same company (wish I could say who) in Brooklyn strikes again! They told another client of mine they had Bed Bugs from the bugs they ID'ed. I was set to do treatment on Tuesday and once I got there - different story, NO BED BUGS!

Save whatever you find guys, make sure you get a referral from a friend or even look into a companies reputation online. It's my industry & I hate talking bad about it .. but there are some dishonest people out there ... ready, willing, and able to take you for a ride.

9. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Aug 25 2010 22:35:17
    #

Login to Send PM

what do you recommend for reputations checking? Better business bureau? online comments on things like yelp I do not always trust.

10. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Aug 25 2010 22:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Forums such as these I guess. I know 2 people have mentioned me on yelp ... I never even heard of it until I decided to google my name =) But it looks like you can find some info on it.

The BBB is ok but I also see some companies listed with them that I wouldn't ask to wash my socks. Its tricky for me to answer ... because I never really need to higher anyone. If I need something done I do it myself ...I will learn just about anything if I have to.

I guess use a few options .. get info from various resources and just use good judgment.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Aug 25 2010 23:20:53
    #

Login to Send PM

A pest management tech once told me (in the presence of four other techs and the owner of his firm) that spider beetles bite and that they could come and kill them for me.

(Spider beetles do not bite. They don't have the hardware for it.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 0:17:13
    #

Login to Send PM

While not everyone may have an Rx bottle at hand, I found that some clear tape and a piece of paper or an index card was a perfectly effective way to save specimens. (I kept those inside a sandwich size ziplock.)

An Rx bottle is great, but for people who don't have them, some scotch tape, paper, and a ziplock is a decent alternative that might include materials people are slightly more likely to have on hand.

13. bug-tired

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Aug 26 2010 2:38:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I just used two small double-ziplock bags for my little guy. He's currently enjoying....oops, I had to stop to catch another one. This one's smaller than the first and lighter in color. The first one I found in the bed and the second was on my office chair.

They are both currently enjoying sunbaths under my reading lamp.

Oops, there's another! The search & destroy method - what fun!

14. bug-tired

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 8:52:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a couple live specimens that I kept in two double zip-lock bags. I was wondering what I was going to do with them - the PCO took them with him (whew!). He wanted to show his boss because his boss didn't believe I still had bb's after 3 treatments. Was glad I kept the evidence. Maybe now he can see what one actually looks like.

15. Louise

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Aug 28 2010 11:03:44
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal - 2 days ago  » 
    While not everyone may have an Rx bottle at hand, I found that some clear tape and a piece of paper or an index card was a perfectly effective way to save specimens. (I kept those inside a sandwich size ziplock.)
    An Rx bottle is great, but for people who don't have them, some scotch tape, paper, and a ziplock is a decent alternative that might include materials people are slightly more likely to have on hand.

I prefer the packing tape that can be torn by hand - I find it to be more transparent than Scotch tape and better for picture-taking and microscope-viewing.

Ah. I remember fondly the days when I had just books on my bedside table, rather than packing tape, a pocket microscope and a flashlight.

Louise

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,406 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams