dolls and can't afford packtite

(41 posts)
  1. imdonewbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 15 2014 2:22:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I have young girls with lots of dolls (monster high), my little ponies, and stuffed animals. I plan on putting their stuffed animals in the dryer but what about their dolls and ponies? We can't afford a packtite. Could we soak them in really hot water. Like continuously adding boiling water for 15 mins or so?

2. bbcomox

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 15 2014 2:29:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not an expert; here are my suggestions. Have you considered putting these dolls into a sealed bag with DDVP pest strips? You can search for more information this forum for details. Here is a sample post: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/pest-strip-fundamentals

This may be an alternative to a PackTite to treat stuff that cannot be put in the dryer. Good luck!

3. imdonewbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Nov 15 2014 3:04:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!! Where can I buy some? Do they sell any say home depot? And if so are they effective?

4. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 0:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I bought mine (Nuvan) off the internet. Click here to go to the section of this forum that helps you find them!

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  5. imdonewbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 0:31:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I got hot shot from my local home Depot, would those work??

6. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 9:52:25
    #

Login to Send PM

These? These are the same active ingredients I think, should work the same way according to the videos i've watched by the skinny guy. Lol. Can't remember his name but the links were posted by people in these forums so he wasn't some DIYer.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 10:17:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As they are children's toys and likely to be in close contact with children I would advise bagging and if you are in NY or Illinois a solution will be available in a few weeks that is non toxic.

I have never felt comfortable with the use of such a noxious and toxic product up close to children. To that end I was speaking to some recently who made comment that most pest controllers would not want to sleep in rooms they had recently treated with chemicals. It kind of flies in the face of the idea of treating people as you would want to be treated.

Hope this gives you a safer and more reliable option as studies have indicated soft toys and DVVp is not reliable.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  8. imdonewbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 12:26:06
    #

Login to Send PM

So true bed-bugcouk, so what would you suggest? I have this other crazy idea. Soaking the hair in alcohol, air dry, then rinse with water, and air dry again. All done outside of course.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 13:17:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

If you are in NY or Illinois bag and wait a week or two for the new product to be launched.

Otherwise bag up in small groups sorting as follows:

Soft toys - check for suitability for long tumble as per clothes

All plastic items - long soak in hot water with lots of detergent as a contact killer

Dedicates and the rest - hang inspection over a bath in small batches. Its attention to detail work and you only want to start with 15 minutes on and 45 minutes off with a break outside to adjust your eyes between batches.

The reality is that once you look at the time involved and think what your time is worth the value of the products makes more sense. The new product will be be about $5 for a massive garbage bag of assorted items so cheaper than doing 2 wash loads.

Hope that helps.

David

10. imdonewbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 13:25:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!!
    And no I'm in CA. But I'll pick and choose which are worth my efforts

11. buggyblue

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 13:37:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I would go the Nuvan strip route. Just follow instructions carefully. Once treatment is complete, and the strips are removed from the items you're treating, and you let the items air out, the chemical is gone. It is not residual. So as long as you follow instructions, the strips aren't going to harm you or your children, as is true with anything, as long as you follow instructions.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 14:01:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi buggyblue,

Where does the chemical go?

This is the same ethical issue I have with fumigation. When people say "air out the property" they should actually say release the chemical into the environment. At least that way they would know what damage they are contributing to.

David

13. buggyblue

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 14:57:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd recommend airing out outdoors. Are you asking what happens to the chemical when its vented outdoors? It diffuses. The issue of "releasing a chemical into the environment" is always a matter of concentration and dilution. The minuscule amount of chemical being released during ventilation into the atmosphere is negligible. We're talking about one person venting the amount released during one treatment, not the amount that might be released during a chemical plant accident.

In my lab work, whether I perform chemical preparations and experiments on the lab bench or in a fume hood depends on two things: 1) the chemicals being used, which the MSDS informs me of their hazards, and 2) the concentrations I'm working with.

Don't hang a strip next to a bird's nest, or dispose of the strip improperly. A few hours of venting isn't going to harm the environment, not on such a small scale.

14. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 15:04:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK what is the impact on the environment if 1,000,000 people do it?

As I am sure you are aware from your lab risk assessments you have to do things in the least risky and least damaging way.

If you can find a safer way to use synthetic insecticides than not using them I am open to listening to your logic, I will even provide the popcorn.

David

15. buggyblue

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 15:18:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I can perform a thorough literature review and calculations to provide an estimate if you'd like to provide me with the funds for my time. Would you like me to also run models to examine this question? Are the million people living in the same city, or globally distributed? Where are they located? How many pest strips does each person use per treatment? What is the rate dichlorvos are released, and what are the final concentrations? I could model a range of scenarios for you, just send me the check. Chances are, others have addressed your question already, at least to some extent, which is why pest strips are even on the market. Follow instructions carefully, and you and the environment will be fine (my 5 minutes of googling points to health issues primarily related to folks not following instructions, and environmental concerns only if folks are improperly disposing of the strips).

Doing things in the "least risky and least damaging way" boils down to following instructions. No popcorn required.

16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2014 15:34:18
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyblue - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Doing things in the "least risky and least damaging way" boils down to following instructions.

No, the least risky option will always be to not do something or to at least do the things that will impact the environment least.

Thankfully human history is full of good examples of great things being done one person at a time. To take your argument to the the extreme its "OK to abuse people because others are doing it". Its the kind of fallacious logic which many a long term mistake have been built on.

Thankfully in the UK we have COSHH regulations which make this concept a legal requirement for any and all chemicals regardless of the job at hand.

David

17. Beingbitten77

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2014 5:12:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Why would you need to "treat" toys? Unless they are sitting by the bed or stuffed animals on the bed, I can see that. But why would you need to treat toys that are in a toy room and if you go through everything, see no bugs, why would bugs be chilling in the toys? Wouldn't they want to be close to your resting area? If a toy were to land on the ground, wouldn't a close inspection or just a Good
    hot soapy soak do it? I know some people may have large infestation, I guess that would be another reason to. Do they really wander far into a bin of toys and just lay there? I have to say I am interested in your new product, how long will items need to be stored in the bags?

bed- bugscouk - 13 hours ago  » 

buggyblue - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Doing things in the "least risky and least damaging way" boils down to following instructions.

No, the least risky option will always be to not do something or to at least do the things that will impact the environment least.
    Thankfully human history is full of good examples of great things being done one person at a time. To take your argument to the the extreme its "OK to abuse people because others are doing it". Its the kind of fallacious logic which many a long term mistake have been built on.
    Thankfully in the UK we have COSHH regulations which make this concept a legal requirement for any and all chemicals regardless of the job at hand.
    David

18. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2014 5:32:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Beingbitten77,

As I outlined above there are options and obviously the heavier or more dispersed the infestation the greater the need to decon items is going to be. That having been said with some toys and in particular the ones that remain close to children bedbugs can be associated with them even in a light infestation.

Again the risk of toy boxes being infested depends on the infestation levels.

The new product is safe for clothes, printed materials and electronics and kills all life stages and eggs in 5 days without the use of any synthetic insecticides as all the ingredients are carefully selected from the 25N exemption lists. My favorite quote from a well known entomologist is "I am amazed this works, it shouldn't but it does" and quite literally it is opening up new possibilities for ways to treat things as we feel this is a fully scalable technology and will come to the market at a fair price.

David

19. al148

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2014 10:50:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David

Could you tell us the name of this new product or do you have to be cryptic for some reason before it launches?

20. imdonewbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2014 11:03:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes please, sounds promising.

21. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2014 11:28:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The name is not finalised yet, its a short list of two and I cant disclose just yet.

But yes its a very exciting idea and one I am very pleased to have been part of.

David

22. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2014 12:37:34
    #

Login to Send PM

This might be worth a drive to Illinois honestly.... :lol:. I look forward to seeing it released in a state I live in!

23. Beingbitten77

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2014 15:38:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok thank you. I hope it comes out soon. I have went entirely through my son's toy room and have seen NO bugs. My PCO treated mg entire house though but I just don't think they would sit there and I feel I Would see one. Until your product comes out, would you recommend soaking in bleach water? I guess it wouldn't hurt to cover all bases. I will probably purchase your item as I am in IL so please keep us updated, I'm sure you will.

bed-bugscouk - 10 hours ago  » 
    Hi Beingbitten77,
    As I outlined above there are options and obviously the heavier or more dispersed the infestation the greater the need to decon items is going to be. That having been said with some toys and in particular the ones that remain close to children bedbugs can be associated with them even in a light infestation.
    Again the risk of toy boxes being infested depends on the infestation levels.
    The new product is safe for clothes, printed materials and electronics and kills all life stages and eggs in 5 days without the use of any synthetic insecticides as all the ingredients are carefully selected from the 25N exemption lists. My favorite quote from a well known entomologist is "I am amazed this works, it shouldn't but it does" and quite literally it is opening up new possibilities for ways to treat things as we feel this is a fully scalable technology and will come to the market at a fair price.
    David

24. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Nov 17 2014 18:32:32
    #

Login to Send PM

If it's something you can submerge, I think super hot water would work. I know for my sons Hot Wheels I just used a metal scoop to put them in boiling water (much like sterilizing nipples or bottles) so maybe that would be an option for some items?

25. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 4:23:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,
    You mentioned in the above 2 year old post about a non-toxic product coming out in Illinois can that be used to decontaminate stuff that has bed bugs. Did the product come out and what is the name?
    Thanks.

26. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 7:27:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The product is still in the commercial pipeline. It is being launched elsewhere int he world and once manufacturing is ramped up will be launched in the US.

At this stage, all I can say is that there may be a crowd funded project around this in 2017 to try and speed things up.

David

27. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jan 2 2017 12:45:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks - so I guess there was a delay in it coming out.

28. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2017 21:49:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I have no idea what product David may be speaking of but I am not crazy about the idea of treating dolls for kids with dichlovos. 1 You might try packing/padding dolls in a pillow case and a dryer treatment. 2 Consider slow treatment with a blow dryer over light colored tub (no water). 3 Inspect then bag a few in clear plastic bags and observe for two months for any activity. Store bags in a warm environment. 4 Go for the Packtite.

29. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2017 22:22:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks - do you think the Packtite would melt the skin on the dolls?

30. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 11:06:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 13 hours ago  » 
    I have no idea what product David may be speaking of but I am not crazy about the idea of treating dolls for kids with dichlovos.

Hi,

To clarify we have a nontoxic mixture that acts as a vapor action insecticide. It's 25B, low odor, ovicidal and scalable to the size of a bed base. It's a real game-changing technology and the only thing that delays us at the second is manufacturing and regulatory for the EU market. Hence the possible crowdsourced project to clear those blockages.

I will email you a picture of the results.

David

31. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 12:19:40
    #

Login to Send PM

So, David, I take it it is not available yet?

32. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 14:51:40
    #

Login to Send PM

No, not currently, we are still working on the supply aspect.

However, I would email PackTite to confirm the answer to the dolls issue. I cant recall having done any myself but we frequently use our for plastic items and have never had any issues, equally with the products we use at 180 C which also don't warp toys.

David

33. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 15:08:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I couldn't find PackTite's web site. Do you have an email for them?

34. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 15:20:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, can photographs go in a Packtite?

35. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 15:25:52
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks. I couldn't find PackTite's web site. Do you have an email for them?

http://www.pfhmanufacturing.com/home.html

36. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2017 17:07:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

37. picopalquelea

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Jul 2 2017 23:56:35
    #

Login to Send PM

so what about now, is the new product available yet? crowdfunding? etc

38. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 5 2017 8:48:42
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a very old thread, but if you're looking for a well tested, and non toxic way to decontaminate items, look into "Cirkil, rag in a bag protocol", that uses a botanically derived active ingredient and works through vapor action. You might want to test a similar item first, as Cirkil has a strong smell, but it should dissipate quickly once the items are aired out.

You can find a link to it here, in this site's "Useful Tools" Section:

http://bedbugger.com/useful-tools/#cirkil

Richard

39. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 6 2017 10:51:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

We are still finalizing the crowdfunding.

It will take a few more months but that is actually less time than it takes to get the smell of dead skunk out of items treated other ways.

David

40. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Sep 17 2017 19:42:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,
    Any updates on when the product may be available? Do you think by the end of 2017?
    Can we get involved in the crowdfunding?
    Thanks.

41. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Sep 18 2017 7:19:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Bounce

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982