Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Dog is coming tomorrow. Anythingthing I should know before they arrive?

(19 posts)
  1. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 12:58:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm nervous about the appointment. Any tips or things you would have liked to have known before your dog inspection?

2. nervousaboutbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 13:44:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Your handler may have already told you all of this, but I prepared as follows:
    - All windows were closed and fans off for several hours before the inspection
    - I moved furniture I wanted checked, such as beds and couches, away from the walls
    - I opened drawers partway
    - Picked up any dog/cat food/toys and removed them from the premises

They asked me which rooms I suspected. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't answered that question because the handler may give a different 'vibe' in a room he suspects is infested, which may affect the dog.

I noticed after watching my first inspection that they didn't sniff baseboards, outlets, computers, etc. I requested that the next inspection. I also asked them to sniff my laundry room, which I don't think they would have otherwise.

Good luck - hope they don't find anything!

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 13:48:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Ask beforehand if they will do a physical inspection to look for bed bugs in the case of a positive hit. If the answer is "no", then you should seriously consider canceling the appointment and finding a dog team that does this. There are simply too many false positives from what I have learned here, and a false not only can mean unnecessary treatment(s), time and expense -- but acting on a positive without physical verification potentially means that you may never find out exactly what is causing the symptons that led you to have an inspection in the first place. This can result in a needless series of additional treatments, time and expense. Bottom line, don't treat unless you find a bug or very good evidence of a bug such as fecal smears or cast skins. A positive hit by a dog is not enough reason in and of itself.

Richard

4. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 13:50:17
    #

Login to Send PM

They asked me which rooms I suspected. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't answered that question because the handler may give a different 'vibe' in a room he suspects is infested, which may affect the dog.

That was my biggest regret. Don't tell them where you think the bugs are hiding. I asked the dog to check out my car, too, as I'd been hauling clothing and blankets to the laudromat.

5. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 15:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the replies. I will ask for visual confirmation if anything is detected. I have the wood floor under my bed covered with regular tape. That is surrounded by double sided tape. I think there is a gap in the regular tape and that's where they live. (I won't tell them that until the end of the inspection.) Should I remove the regular tape before tomorrow to make it easier for the dog to smell them, or is it too much risk?

6. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 21:00:09
    #

Login to Send PM

No need to remove the tape... Disclose your suspicion to allow the handler to make the judgment call after examining the suspect area.

Secure high value breakable items... remove any food or scraps from under furniture or pet food

Litter boxes should be relocated off the floor.. unplug and place air fresheners in a ziplock or outside of the search areas.

No mothballs, DDVP strips, solvents like floor stripper or stored chemicals including gas, alcohol or pesticide containers.

Obviously, we don;t want rodent bait, rat traps, broken glass, exposed wiring or any other potential hazards for the dog.

No exposed dust products like DE or insecticidal dusts in the locations that the K9 team will be checking.... if the DE under the bed looks like sand on a beach... The inspection would need to be deferred until it was properly cleaned up.

If you are performing additional D-I-Y treatment.. let the handler know to protect the K9 from overexposure... The correct pest control products must be used appropriately for everybody's safety.

Any alert locations should receive a thorough visual inspection.

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 21:03:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I will ask for visual confirmation if anything is detected.
    ---------
    To save yourself potential expense and frustration, I would ask the the team *before* they even come to your home if they do a visual confirmation on a positive hit. You can ask them all you want once they arrive, but many are either not able to or simply will not do a visual inspection for various reasons.

8. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 21:13:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I asked the person who answers the phone and he said they could do that.

Cilecto, I have everything safe for the dog in the areas I can control. The other person wants them to check the garage but I don't think it's safe. I'll ask the person coming to make the decision about that. Also, there's a room that is someone's who is not here and it's disastrous. (If she was here, it would just be in worse condition anyway.) That room may be overlooked or just quickly checked.

9. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 21:21:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I asked the person who answers the phone and he said they could do that.
    ------------
    That's very positive just make sure you hold them to the promise as there has sometimes been a disconnect (as reported here) by what the phone person says and what happens in the field. If they do have a positive hit (and let's hope they don't!!!) and they don't follow it up with a visual inspection, you have every right not to pay for the service.

All the best luck tomorrow!

Richard

10. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 5:28:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Devil's advocate. If the K9 people didn't make suggestions for optimal inspection or dog safety it may mean 1) they don't know what they are doing, or 2) know exactly what they're doing.

My quick cheap shot at it would be: so how much did this dog cost you and how long did it take to train.

Let me know how it went! Good luck!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 11:48:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I am concerned because it sounds like they don't normally do visual inspections but are willing to in this case.

Visual inspections for bed bugs are not easy. It's a learned skill, in my understanding.

Depending on the handler's background, they may not have a lot of experience inspecting for bed bugs. Keep in mind, some handlers have done pest control treatments in the past, while others do not have a pest control background. Even many pest control pros are not experts at inspecting visually.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 13:51:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I think it went well. The person said nothing indicating bed bugs was found. However, we have another insect problem to take care of but of course anything but bed bugs is great. My only concern is what she guessed could be the insect problem could pass on pathogens. I'm still relieved. Thanks for all the replies. I was so extraordinarily nervous before the inspection. It seemed like the person knew what they were doing, so I feel fairly comfortable with what was determined.

13. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 14:39:13
    #

Login to Send PM

.........just subsribing to thread.........

14. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 14:46:07
    #

Login to Send PM

That's great news, Nancy. I hope we don't see you back on this forum!

15. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 15:58:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear that the team was able to help rule out bed bugs for you... Now you can be focused on the correct pest and hopefully resolve the problem quickly. Good luck

16. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 16:11:54
    #

Login to Send PM

What did they find/suspect?

I hate cliffhanger endings.

Jim

17. nancytd

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 17:16:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Probably mites-possibly from creatures in the attic space (if there are any there). The fresh blood spots could have come from mosquitoes.

18. nervousaboutbedbugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 21:02:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been suspecting mites here for quite a while; how did they determine that they might be your problem?

19. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 21:25:03
    #

Login to Send PM

no delete post feature? made a boo-boo.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69